Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Artyoan

Arbiter
Anyone playing the new dlc and has thoughts?
Just curious whats improved, what continuing criticisms etc before I buy
I'm not done with the campaign yet but my thoughts:
-in story presentation it remains the very same Solasta, which is to say its not great, though the plot is the most interesting of the three official campaigns so far
-the actual balance of the campaign has been way too easy on authentic. If you're wanting a challenge here, I'd probably tweak the custom parameters or set it on cataclysm. I'm mowing down fodder all over the place and only some enemies with legendary actions have posed any threat at all.
-the only bug I've had so far is a fire giant jumping on one of my characters, sending him flying onto a nearby cart prop, which inexplicably killed him and I had to revive. Not a big deal.
-combat now adds a freezing weather mechanic if you aren't taking care to warm yourself during combat, which I like. Its another system in addition to verticality and lighting that adds a dimension. It only happens in snowy areas. Dragons I fought had disadvantage to saves due to being frozen.
-Palace of Ice adds four locations and numerous enemies/npcs to the dungeon maker so if you ever plan on playing any custom campaigns that aren't already made, you're gonna need this DLC.

If you're only playing it for the official campaign I think the price point is fine but you could wait a while and get it a few bucks cheaper down the line. If you want to play and/or make custom campaigns, its well worth it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"We have defeated Soraks so now they evolved into funny colors and are stronger then ever."
Welp... typical.
Making the Soraks even more similar to the Baaz, Kapaks, Bozaks, Sivaks, and Auraks from Dragonlance:

whatdoyoumeanwerelost_product_001.jpg

Last edited:

Skorpion

Educated
-in story presentation it remains the very same Solasta, which is to say its not great, though the plot is the most interesting of the three official campaigns so far
-the actual balance of the campaign has been way too easy on authentic. If you're wanting a challenge here, I'd probably tweak the custom parameters or set it on cataclysm. I'm mowing down fodder all over the place and only some enemies with legendary actions have posed any threat at all.
-the only bug I've had so far is a fire giant jumping on one of my characters, sending him flying onto a nearby cart prop, which inexplicably killed him and I had to revive. Not a big deal.
-combat now adds a freezing weather mechanic if you aren't taking care to warm yourself during combat, which I like. Its another system in addition to verticality and lighting that adds a dimension. It only happens in snowy areas. Dragons I fought had disadvantage to saves due to being frozen.
-Palace of Ice adds four locations and numerous enemies/npcs to the dungeon maker so if you ever plan on playing any custom campaigns that aren't already made, you're gonna need this DLC.

If you're only playing it for the official campaign I think the price point is fine but you could wait a while and get it a few bucks cheaper down the line. If you want to play and/or make custom campaigns, its well worth it.
Thanks for the indepth but concise points!
Ive been considering booting this up for your campaigns as well, is there one (I think you made multiple?) you suggest and what dlc's would I have to have to play it?
Appreciate ya

Artyoan

Arbiter

Ive been considering booting this up for your campaigns as well, is there one (I think you made multiple?) you suggest and what dlc's would I have to have to play it?
Appreciate ya
You won't need Palace of Ice for now for any of my stuff. Just the base game, lost valley, and inner strength. The Forsaken Isle has two different versions, the four man original and the six man version which requires the Unfinished Business mod. I won't be adding anything there that requires palace of ice, its complete.

Morrows Deep has the original four man and also a six man version. That one I will be adding some stuff to down the line which will require palace of ice. Although from mod.io you will still be able to get old versions that don't require it. I'll just be adding a new area or two that have some additional encounters to get the player to the level 16 cap, as its only 15 now. I have no idea when I'm going to do this though. Not anytime soon.

Edit: Forsaken Isle would be better to start with and then Morrows Deep.

Skorpion

Educated

Appreciate ya
You won't need Palace of Ice for now for any of my stuff. Just the base game, lost valley, and inner strength. The Forsaken Isle has two different versions, the four man original and the six man version which requires the Unfinished Business mod. I won't be adding anything there that requires palace of ice, its complete.

Morrows Deep has the original four man and also a six man version. That one I will be adding some stuff to down the line which will require palace of ice. Although from mod.io you will still be able to get old versions that don't require it. I'll just be adding a new area or two that have some additional encounters to get the player to the level 16 cap, as its only 15 now. I have no idea when I'm going to do this though. Not anytime soon.

Edit: Forsaken Isle would be better to start with and then Morrows Deep.
Awesome, will check them out starting with Forsaken Isle. Would love to play this game 6man, it just seems designed for it so I never understood them balancing for only 4 players especially at this point with all the classes races and subclass choices.
I was actually a bit surprised they didnt make the new DLC for 6 players which seems obvious at this point. Oh well for them, will hold off on the palace of ice for now then.
Thanks again :salute:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
made my choice. Im booting dragon valley save to get my thief with all the usage items so I can see for myself if use any device is making any dent at high levels lol. Too bad that cool wands require attunement. Still, Im happy with free heal amulet that I own already

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
shadow caster: Shadow Retribution ➜ If you are targeted by a damaging spell, whether it damages you or not, you can cast a cantrip in reaction on the caster.

once you get sneak attacks on spells, can you use sneak die on enemy turn?

serch

Magister
shadow caster: Shadow Retribution ➜ If you are targeted by a damaging spell, whether it damages you or not, you can cast a cantrip in reaction on the caster.

Would be pretty brutal if they had implemented for the rogue something like the steady aim feature in 5e Dnd, but they've gone for just take aim which, besides, costs you a feat. You could sneak from stealth, get discovered, take the bonus action steady aim and then sneakretribute even when the target is not engaged. As it is now it would be pretty situational. Normally a caster wont target you if engaged or if you are stealthed.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Would be pretty brutal if they had implemented for the rogue something like the steady aim feature in 5e Dnd, but they've gone for just take aim which, besides, costs you a feat. You could sneak from stealth, get discovered, take the bonus action steady aim and then sneakretribute even when the target is not engaged. As it is now it would be pretty situational. Normally a caster wont target you if engaged or if you are stealthed.
yeah you would need different way of having advantage, like blindness on enemy

Artyoan

Arbiter
Finally reached the ending of the campaign. My impression was that they tied up enough elements to be done with the Solasta setting if they so choose. I don’t feel strong vibes from it that they are hinting toward a continuation. A couple potential plot starter threads were left open but not much.

Had a bug where a character that was dead was with my party in the ending slides.

The companion system does allow for a variable check when they die so it is a lot more versatile. A quest could be failed or dialogue could acknowledge their death. You can also set any enemy to be a party member. I had a Sorak shikkath climbing walls in testing for me. Neat stuff.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

ive realized that there is an easier way to test if you can use sneak die on enemy turn: ready ranged attack. And yes, you can.

As of ways of forcing advantage, I think the only ones to work are:
- another character or rogue standing already next to caster
- faerie fire(rogue cant cast it)
- entangle(again, i dont know of ways for rogue alone to get it)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
ive realized that there is an easier way to test if you can use sneak die on enemy turn: ready ranged attack. And yes, you can.
This is because readied attack counts as your only attack in that round.
If your rogue has delivered his sneak attack on his turn, he should not be able to deal sneak attack damage on AoO.

J1M

Arcane

Appreciate ya
If someone was considering Solasta I would suggest they start with the Lost Valley campaign. I liked it the best of the 3 official ones. The limited party size means that you really don't have much room in the party for random classes so DLC that adds that is less valuable.

Parabalus

Arcane
If your rogue has delivered his sneak attack on his turn, he should not be able to deal sneak attack damage on AoO.
The various touch feats like Melting Touch can trigger both on your turn and your ready action / AoO.

J1M

Arcane
Happy to report that my Archer character (Champion Fighter with a bow) is performing really well so far. Stronger than a sneak attack rogue imo and there's room for it to improve via a legendary bow and enchanted arrows.

Somewhat annoyed with the Druid though. Yes, it has Goodberry, but most spells require concentration and it feels like a cleric would just be better. I wasn't expecting animal shape to be a full action.

Mortmal

Arcane
Happy to report that my Archer character (Champion Fighter with a bow) is performing really well so far. Stronger than a sneak attack rogue imo and there's room for it to improve via a legendary bow and enchanted arrows.

Somewhat annoyed with the Druid though. Yes, it has Goodberry, but most spells require concentration and it feels like a cleric would just be better. I wasn't expecting animal shape to be a full action.
Archer will do very good like every fighters, not only you get legendary bows and crossbows but you also can buy +3 arrows at will on vendors, then craft all kind of paralyzing and poisoning arrows too.
Yes , concentration is annoying . One of 5e flaw , you will keep it for stuff like haste, greater invisibility which is still a cheat mode here, and ignore all the other spells.
With the way equipment is in POI , they killed rogue and monk , they arent worth it, especially when you can pick a criminal background and lokcpick just as fine or cast knock spell at will.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The various touch feats like Melting Touch can trigger both on your turn and your ready action / AoO.
It's weird if it's not a bug but intended behaviour.

To me it looks very simple, "once per turn damage" should be only applied once between two turns of the character, regarless is he hits with multiple attacks, readied action or reactions.

In other words, just consider it a single shot charge that reloads when your new turn starts. How it's done in Solasta is on the devs' consience, let Gygax be their judge .

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

To me it looks very simple, "once per turn damage" should be only applied once between two turns of the character, regarless is he hits with multiple attacks, readied action or reactions.

In other words, just consider it a single shot charge that reloads when your new turn starts. How it's done in Solasta is on the devs' consience, let Gygax be their judge .
That's how sneak attack works in 5e. "Once per turn" means once per anyone's turn, your own or someone else's. Don't let a rogue get an opportunity attack on you, getting stabbed in the back really hurts.

J1M

Arcane

Tangent: potential confusion may be created by the 4e errata that changed sneak attack from once per round to once per turn. The change was made to increase rogue damage by allowing them to sneak attack again if it was another character's turn in the same round. Basically a hacky fix for a problem created by caving to players insisting that Rogues should have damage parity plus a unique role, which led to designing the Rogue as a Striker instead of as a Controller. Ironic, since the Ranger was also a Martial Striker.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

As of ways of forcing advantage, I think the only ones to work are:
- another character or rogue standing already next to caster
- faerie fire(rogue cant cast it)
- entangle(again, i dont know of ways for rogue alone to get it)
The Commander Fighter can grant advantage as a bonus action.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
any way for rogue to increase number of reactions? or any class for that matter

J1M

Arcane
any way for rogue to increase number of reactions? or any class for that matter
Short answer: no
In tabletop you can squeeze out more sneak attack damage with a Battle Master Fighter's Commander's Strike.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom