Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate So... Which Studio Should Replace Larian As The Developer of Baldur's Gate 4?

Who Should Hasbro Pick to Develop Baldur's Gate 4?

• Obsidian (Fallout New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity)

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Inxile (Wasteland 2 and 3)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Owlcat Games (Pathfinders Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader)

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • Bioware

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Others

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • KIngcomrade

Votes: 47 37.9%

• Total voters

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Less than a month after news of Larian Studios announced it was moving on from Dungeons & Dragons following Baldur’s Gate 3 to explore new ventures, Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast have assured fans they are seeking out a studio to make Baldur’s Gate 4 already, so it is worth discussing which studio would be the least bad option to be given the license to develop Baldur's Gate 4 in your opinion?

Owlcat is the most appropriate candidate imo, they have experience working with DnD-like ruleset thanks to their Pathfinder rpgs already, but their game tend to be over-complicated and hardcore, therefore a Baldur's Gate 4 made by them is unlikely to resonate with mainstream mass like Hasbro expect. I still prefer Owlcat to make a Pathfinder game based on Iron Gods adventure path first though.

Although Tactical Adventure (Solasta) did cross my mind when I ponder this question, the reason I didn't include them in the poll is because they are too small to handle a big-scope project like Baldur's Gate 4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I say it'll never happen. Hasbro are clowns and they'll fail to get another Baldur's Gate project off the ground.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
800px-ToddHoward2010sm.jpg

:troll::troll::troll:

Beans00

Erudite
Hopefully Obsidian because it would be funny to see infinitron and roguey(nothing personal you're just the biggest obsidian fans I can think of) cope about bg4 struggling to sell 500k copies after bg3 sold like 20 million.

ds

Cipher
Patron
What has Baldur's Gate done to you that you want to see it defiled a second time?

Sequels shouldn't ever be done by a different developer.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I think Owlcat would be the studio mostly likely to make a BG4 I'd enjoy, but given how much has changed I'm morbidly curious as to what a Bioware BG4 would look like (I know it wouldn't be good, but it would be interesting to see how many dimensions it could be bad in). I'd be worried that Obsidian would turn it into a first person aRPG given how they're trending.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
It will be some random studio which never touched anything that was remotely named cRPG. It will be assembly line product: 2 years of financing, Unreal 5 engine, stock assets from Fortnite, some twitter/blogger writers supported by ChatGPT with ideas taken from reddit, full of funny memes and some stupid cameos, with MBA filled execs in their early 30s who proudly call themselves gamers because their older siblings had PS2 in 2000s and they played classics like Skyrim and Final Fantasy XXL. Either some Eastern Europeans or studio based in Mobile, Alabama. Obviously with day one gamer edition, neckbeard edition, shitton of DLCs straight from Korean mobile games.

I have a vision of similar "product" as Bloodlines 2, which I guess is already huge money sink for Paradox and they would gladly pull the plug with financing if it wasn't for sunk cost fallacy.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Duh, Josh Sawyer should lead it, ofc. He deserves it and BG4 deserves it. If you know what I mean.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well if you were to pretend BG3 didn't exist but wanted to tell more stories in that thread/setting (why would you as opposed to other DnD settings) then Owlcat is the obvious choice.

But a direct sequel now that BG3 dragged the brand into the campy mocap trying-to-be-soap-opera corner? Well fuck. I can't think of anyone except Bioware but they have their own established setting....CD Project still on Witcher...Obsidian has their shite...Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and it'd be first person anyway.

I think it's dead. What are the chances WotC starts it's own games studio? Probably wise in modern era...Someone dig up SSI and use that brand name?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The project lead for Baldur's Gate 4 should be someone with over a quarter-century of experience making RPGs, who has already proven a success as lead designer on a D&D-licensed RPG, and who particularly excels at writing.

:drink:

Tenebris

Scholar
Baldur's Gate 4 is very likely to expand on romances, cinematic cut-scenes and stupid zany jokes. It's not worth getting even remotely excited for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom