Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines will be a decade old this year. LET'S TALK ABOUT OTHER RPG'S

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So it occurs to me that the little gem of an RPG that is VTMB will be ten years old since its release. I'm pretty sure that the whole of the internet will give its praise and retrospect of the game in what may well be the same story from different points.

As my years of lurking go by, two questions go through my mind, the second will be asked much later.

My ever throbbing thought of the moment is how the ever astute, never wrong, community of the RPGCodex would observe the day of VtMB ten year anniversary (if to be called that for now). Would it be a couple people recalling their anticipation? Would the Codex do an interview? Would there be a review of the game to see how well it has aged? Would everyone ignore it? Would the Codex attempt to summon Wesp5 and Tessera for a duel to the death?

I am always wondering what would eventually happen come that day, but I can't be disappointed if nothing happens. It would be expected. It isn't like the Codex is obligated to review a game that in much hindsight, while a spectacle to behold, is a mediocre game with obvious and glaring flaws brought upon by rushed production from the Publisher.

Now I would be absolutely disappointed in the Codex if they didn't celebrate on March 20, 2016 for the ten year anniversary of what could be the nuclear bomb of decline that is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Oh how I would be distraught. My only reason for being here is because you all truly understand the lie that was Oblivion. The lie that never disappeared.

karfhud

Augur
Bloodlines has been grilled over a lot on the Codex, I think it's safe to say that everyone spoke their minds. As for an interview, every time someone talks to Brian Mitsoda VtM:B pops up during the discussion, so... dunno. It's a brilliant game, Bloodlines. I love it for its ambiance, I despise it because only a handful of games managed to immerse me in their world so well (yup, I used that word, immerse. Immersion.). My idea of a good anniversary celebration? Make a proper HD remake, make sure to hire wesp5, add some minor stuff. Do the game justice that it simply deserves. Everybody wins.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What appropriate timing.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/20/s-exe-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-part-1/

And – what could possibly be more terrifying than a flimsy sexy sulkbro? I’ve been to clubs where the kohl-lined eyes of broken, upset boys live and they couldn’t be more alluring, nor more terrifying to a vulnerable heterogirl, they’re like looking at your own emotional carcrash and it’s intoxicating and wrong and not very healthy for anyone.

Perhaps, I think, the people who complain about the departure from the Bram Stoker vampire are actually complaining about a recentring of the narrative. They are complaining that instead of Dracula’s brides and Mina Harker being objectified by the lens of the readership, that now the masculine monster itself has become the objectified body, and we are merely seeing male heterosexuality feel incredibly uncomfortable about the so-called ‘victim’ having agency. People can like the idea of an oversexualised man just as much as an oversexualised woman! Can you imagine. Marketing to teen girl libidos instead of the usual teen boy? How awful.

:whatho:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ten years later and Brian Mitsoda will finally ship another game (maybe).

karfhud

Augur
I dig her writing. You can read the first chapter (or was it a part of a chapter?) of her book, it's somewhere on her blog.

But I digress. The whole piece is really good, this characteristic - possibly slightly immature - approach towards sexuality influences how Bloodlines feels. Her arguments seem valid, although I've never played a female char.

So, why
?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gaming is dead. Well, stagnated is a more appropriate word, but imagine how much time ten years is. The game is as old today as doom 1 was when it came out.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Great game, but I strongly disagree with it's placement in the Codex's list. Ahead of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex and ALL other First Person RPGs? Yeah, right. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, well-written, good C&C, great atmosphere and...? Somewhat terrible gameplay. I guess the Codex is primarily made up of storyfags, well, this is further reinforced by PS:T being #1.

karfhud

Augur
Great game, but I strongly disagree with it's placement in the Codex's list. Ahead of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex and ALL other First Person RPGs? Yeah, right. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, well-written, good C&C, great atmosphere and...? Somewhat terrible gameplay. I guess the Codex is primarily made up of storyfags, well, this is further reinforced by PS:T being #1.

:mob:

likaq

Arcane
Vampire-Bloodlines_Meme.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yes, lot's of storyfags. And yeah, being in front of Deus Ex and System Shock 2 is pretty weird. However I think it deserves mentioning that Bloodlines does choice and consequence better than those other two games, and if there's one thing storyfags, explorefags and mechanicsfags all agree is awesome it's choice and consequence.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yes, lot's of storyfags. And yeah, being in front of Deus Ex and System Shock 2 is pretty weird. However I think it deserves mentioning that Bloodlines does choice and consequence better than those other two games, and if there's one thing storyfags, explorefags and mechanicsfags all agree is awesome it's choice and consequence.

There isn't much choice and consequence in the RPG systems and general gameplay though, i.e inventory system isn't very limited or involving, level design is somewhat linear (hubs aside), all RPG systems share the same currency (XP is used for Attributes, Skills and the vampiric powers), and whilst there is lots of C&C in the dialogue, the game doesn't play out a whole lot different aside from said dialogue differences. In my three playthroughs the game played out the same, but hey I never picked Malkavian or Brujah, which I suspect may play out with more noticeable differences than just dialogue perhaps.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
In short, I disagree it does C&C better than Deus Ex as a whole, not even close (all the story events that turn out differently based on your actions & dialogue choices), and SS2 does C&C better in the gameplay, but not in story/dialogue of course.

all RPG systems share the same currency (XP is used for Attributes, Skills and the vampiric powers)
How is this an issue

This results in less choice, more consequence. Not really an issue it just feels more limiting than it could have been. I just like having lots of choices in how to build my character in any given RPG, and this results in you making 1 or 2 choices to build every couple of missions. rather than in say Deus Ex where you can upgrade your skills, augmentations and weapons in somewhat similar intervals.

So lots of choices (with consequences) in DX's gameplay, not so many in VTM:B.

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vampire Bloodlines is the only thing that come as close to Deus Ex than a Deus Ex mod. It is an absolutely fucking great game with good gameplay and an incredible atmosphere and anybody who thinks otherwise is pretty much an idiot.

I just wish we had good single player mods offering extra campaigns, like Deus Ex actually has. But I guess nobody bothers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
all RPG systems share the same currency (XP is used for Attributes, Skills and the vampiric powers)
How is this an issue

This results in less choice, more consequence. Not really an issue it just feels more limiting than it could have been. I just like having lots of choices in how to build my character in any given RPG, and this results in you making 1 or 2 choices to build every couple of missions. rather than in say Deus Ex where you can upgrade your skills, augmentations and weapons in somewhat similar intervals.
They just failed to make it meaningful in any way and it has nothing to do with having a single resource.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom