Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Baldurs Gate

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Kagain starts with 20 constitution, so he already has health regeneration. 21 constitution will make him heal slightly faster, but you can create your own dwarf with 19 constitution and give him the CON+1 manual.

DraQ

Arcane
You brofisted that guy's post, so I assumed that he was correct in assuming that was the crux of your rambling bullshit. No way am I going back over post after post of your inane drivel just to decode your inevitably flawed DraQ argument.
You are not going to actually discuss stuff? Fine. Then GTFO.

Daggerfall's dungeons were largely procedurally generated - except the main quest ones - so, yeah, "no exploration" it is.
Reality is procedurally generated. No exploration IRL too?

Besides, Daggerfall dungeons require some involvement from player to explore, if only because finding way in there isn't trivial matter.
There, exploration is gameplay in Daggerfall.

There's only one question, do you know the secret handshake?
:hmmm:
Let me guess - you all fap to Emoen.

I don't know if the same could be apply to BG1 though, cause it felt as rewarding as playing Oblivion.
Coincidentally it had about the same amount of exploration albeit for different reasons.
:troll:

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You brofisted that guy's post, so I assumed that he was correct in assuming that was the crux of your rambling bullshit. No way am I going back over post after post of your inane drivel just to decode your inevitably flawed DraQ argument.
You are nopt going to actually discuss stuff? Fine. Then GTFO.
I was discussing the post you brofisted.
Daggerfall's dungeons were largely procedurally generated - except the main quest ones - so, yeah, "no exploration" it is.
Reality is procedurally generated. No exploration IRL too?]
:lol: Now who's not paying attention? Quotation marks meant sarcasm, DraQ. Wait a minute...
Reality is procedurally generated
:what:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actualy reality is pre-made, with hand placed props and items. NPCs wander off from the hand placed destinations though.

DraQ

Arcane
Reality is procedurally generated. No exploration IRL too?]
:lol: Now who's not paying attention? Quotation marks meant sarcasm, DraQ. Wait a minute...
1. Aaand? Just because you thought yourself witty Iam suddenly not allowed to dismantle your strawman of my points?
2. I am fully allowed (but not obliged) to not get sarcasm because I have assburgers and people really are stupid.

:martini:

Reality is procedurally generated
:what:
Actualy reality is pre-made, with hand placed props and items. NPCs wander off from the hand placed destinations though.
GTFO, creationist scum.
:obviously:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So I'm going through BGT once again, with a full party of my own PC's, that I'm aiming to dual-class. I'm in the beginning of SoA part and my Ranger finally hit level 9, thus I want to dual-class her to Cleric now. Except that the button is greyed out. She's lawful good, she has sufficient stats and she's human. All my other characters can be dualled successfully. I tried to use Shadowkeeper to force her to dual, but it only creates a multi-class cleric/ranger which I don't want - and that is missing all cleric spell slots in the spell book, as well.

AFAIK, I haven't installed any mods that would prevent this and a quickie Googling doesn't show anyone having a problem dualing from ranger to cleric. I do have two mods that affect dual classing:

~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #107 // Allow All Races to Dual Class: Beta 0025
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9.03

Am I fucked or doing something wrong or what?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I'm going through BGT once again, with a full party of my own PC's, that I'm aiming to dual-class. I'm in the beginning of SoA part and my Ranger finally hit level 9, thus I want to dual-class her to Cleric now. Except that the button is greyed out. She's lawful good, she has sufficient stats and she's human. All my other characters can be dualled successfully. I tried to use Shadowkeeper to force her to dual, but it only creates a multi-class cleric/ranger which I don't want - and that is missing all cleric spell slots in the spell book, as well.

AFAIK, I haven't installed any mods that would prevent this and a quickie Googling doesn't show anyone having a problem dualing from ranger to cleric. I do have two mods that affect dual classing:

~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #107 // Allow All Races to Dual Class: Beta 0025
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9.03

Am I fucked or doing something wrong or what?

I can't see anything wrong here. Post on Gibberlings3 or SHS if you don't get a response here. Far as I see, you should be able to dual.

Sheepherder

Augur
Barbarian or Fighter kit: Berserk? What's better in BG and BG2 when using BGT and fixpack, but otherwise unmodded? I want to play an angry warrior, but I'm torn between these two classes.

And how important are the saves in BG2? Are the dwarven shorty saves worth the DEX penalty? Because a Half Orc looks better right now.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Barbarian or Fighter kit: Berserk? What's better in BG and BG2 when using BGT and fixpack, but otherwise unmodded? I want to play an angry warrior, but I'm torn between these two classes.

I guess berserker would be better for SoA, but barbarian for ToB. Berserker's strengths are better AC and the ability to get grandmastery in weapon skill, while barbarian's strengths are damage resistance, speed, backstab immunity and higher hitpoints. Since AC becomes less relevant in TOB, barbarian's benefits really start to shine, and even if you use a mod that restores grandmastery to it's true power, HLAs like greater whirlwind make it non-essential.

And how important are the saves in BG2? Are the dwarven shorty saves worth the DEX penalty? Because a Half Orc looks better right now.

Saves are good, but I'd take half-orc for the 19 strength.

Sheepherder

Augur
I guess berserker would be better for SoA, but barbarian for ToB. Berserker's strengths are better AC and the ability to get grandmastery in weapon skill, while barbarian's strengths are damage resistance, speed, backstab immunity and higher hitpoints. Since AC becomes less relevant in TOB, barbarian's benefits really start to shine, and even if you use a mod that restores grandmastery to it's true power, HLAs like greater whirlwind make it non-essential.

Well, I'm going to use that character throughout BG1 and carry it over to BG2 SoA and later ToB, thus playability throughout the whole game is important.

What about weapons? I don't think BG has any 2-handed axes, but it has halberds and 2-handed swords. Are those any good?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
In BG1 vanilla, the best you can do is +2 weapons generally, but there are some +3 weapons.
There is a +2 halberd, a +2 two-handed sword and a cursed +3 two-handed sword in vanilla BG1. The TOTSC expansion has a +3 two-handed sword.

Spoliers on item locations below.
Spider's Bane is a +2 two-handed sword in Cloakwood that is best in in BG1 vanilla (it grants the Free Action bonus to the wielder, so he can't be entangled), but there's a +3 two-handed sword in Durlag's Tower. There is also the Two Handed Sword Cursed Berserking +3, but the Berserk curse is not worth the effort, since you lose control of the character when he goes berserk and he might attack your own party.

Zhalimar Cloudwulfe in the Iron Throne building has the +2 halberd.

GreyViper

Prophet
What about weapons? I don't think BG has any 2-handed axes, but it has halberds and 2-handed swords. Are those any good?
Yeah both are good, more 2H swords, but the Vorpal halebard was good to. Youl get the 2H earlier then the other.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The Wave halberd is also very good in BG2, but you have to wait a long time until you can assemble it.

DraQ

Arcane
There is also the Two Handed Sword Cursed Berserking +3, but the Berserk curse is not worth the effort, since you lose control of the character when he goes berserk and he might attack your own party.
Depends, if you have a character who can survive charging forth where the closest thing he can hack will always be an enemy, it might be worthwhile. Do keep some immobilizing spell handy, though.

Sheepherder

Augur
That sword sounds really cool. An half-orc, clad in plate armor supported by an archer, a mage and maybe a cleric. Does it give any rage bonuses?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
my Ranger finally hit level 9, thus I want to dual-class her to Cleric now. Except that the button is greyed out. She's lawful good, she has sufficient stats and she's human. All my other characters can be dualled successfully. I tried to use Shadowkeeper to force her to dual, but it only creates a multi-class cleric/ranger which I don't want - and that is missing all cleric spell slots in the spell book, as well.
Can Rangers dual-class at all? I don't think I've ever tried that.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
That sword sounds really cool. An half-orc, clad in plate armor supported by an archer, a mage and maybe a cleric. Does it give any rage bonuses?
Well, it would go well with your angry warrior theme. The main problem is that if you plan to give it to your main character, you have to be extra careful since the game is over if he dies. As Draq said, plan to have an extra Hold Person or Entangle spell ready to restrain him in case he turns on the party. He also can't heal himself or run away strategically retreat if he gets heavily injured while berserk is active.

As to the weapon's abilities, it has a high chance of triggering the Berserk ability, but no other bonuses that I'm aware of. Minsc also has this as a special ability or when Dynaheir is injured or dies.

On the other hand, the Sword of Berserking is obtainable much earlier in the game than the +3 sword in Durlag's Tower, which is a notoriously difficult dungeon.

Edit: the Berserk ability does give some bonuses to hit and damage, but I forgot the exact values. I kind of made it sound like all it does is make you lose control of the character.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
my Ranger finally hit level 9, thus I want to dual-class her to Cleric now. Except that the button is greyed out. She's lawful good, she has sufficient stats and she's human. All my other characters can be dualled successfully. I tried to use Shadowkeeper to force her to dual, but it only creates a multi-class cleric/ranger which I don't want - and that is missing all cleric spell slots in the spell book, as well.
Can Rangers dual-class at all? I don't think I've ever tried that.
They can, to cleric. I checked the game files and everything seems to be in order. I posted over at SHS, hopefully someone there will find out the problem.

I would go with a Berserker/Fighter for BG1. Then, in BG2, if you're bored of pure melee char, you can dual-class to a cleric, for example.

There are quite a few mods that add weapons to either or both game, and thanks to them, I've found +2 axes (both 1H and 2H) in BG1 parts already. They also add BG2-weaponry in there, a Club +3 and some Katana's / Ninja-To's / Scimitars, both mundane and magic.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fun party groups to try out in BG1!

Shortie-party:

Alora, Yeslick, Quayle, Kagain, Montaron and Tiax. You can drop Tiax if you have Alora (for traps&locks) or vice versa. PC should probably be a gnome mage as otherwise your Arcane power is pretty low - but not an absolute requirement. Yeslick and Kagain will kill each other.

Arcane-party:

Xzar, Edwin, Xan, Quayle, Dynaheir. PC should probably be a mage-thief. Quayle can sort out the healing. This is a quite challenging run as only healing comes from Qayle and necromancy. Edwin and Dynaheir will kill each other.

Divine-party:

Ajantis, Yeslick, Branwen, Quayle, Tiax and Viconia. Tiax can handle traps, Ajantis&Yeslick will be the brawn along Branwen and Quayle has few arcane spells, so PC can be either another paladin, a cleric-mage or whatever.

Hippy Faggot-party:

Coran, Kivan, Xan, Viconia, Khalid and Jaheira. Coran has thievery, Viconia or Jaheira can do healing, Xan has arcane spells, so PC can be, again, pretty much anything. Kivan and Viconia will kill each other.

Sneaky Ninjas-party:

Imoen, Kivan, Safana, Alora, Montaron, Tiax. Probably best idea to drop Tiax and make PC a better cleric-thief. Point is that the entire party can sneak. Sneak through the game!

Ultimate Party of Ultimate Challenge:

Faldorn, Eldoth, Skie, Garrick, Tiax. All are fairly shitty in what they are supposed to be doing. PC should probably have shitty stats and be a third bard, just for laughs.

Obviously, mods that affect character classes might fuck these up. Mods that prevent party member from initiating combat with each other are a must. Unless you want to lose a party member in the middle of Durlag's Tower or something.

Note that if you are going to recruit Yeslick in the Cloakwood Mines, you need to bring him suitable equipment with you, as his "quest" to destroy the mines doesn't give you time to run around shopping before facing Davaeorn.

It's kinda a shame that the number of recruitable NPC's was dropped in BG2, meaning that such theme-parties are quite difficult, if not impossible, to run. There's 1 dwarf, 1 gnome and 1 halfling in BG2, for example.

Silva

Arcane
Yearly reminder that Baldurs Gate is an awful game full of EDGY teenager crap. I mean, look at these names..

DRIZZZT D'OURDEN

MORDENKEIDEN

AMSTELCOKEHEINEKEN

And you grognards want to criticize the new gen with their inclusion and woke shit? I don't know what's more cringey, you or them.

But wait, there's more... "ATTENTION ALL EVIL PEOPLE IN THE REGION, THERE'S A BOUNTY ON THE SON OF GORION..." oh my I can't wait for Skeletor to show up.

laugh-funny.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom