Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So about them JRPGs...

I.C. Wiener

Educated
OP: I haven't played any of the games you listed, because they look like typical japanese shit (btw, I'm a moderate JRPG fan). But if you want to try a good recent JRPG get Yakuza 2 or 3. Yakuza 2 works very well on emulators and is probably the best JRPG of the last 10 years (behind Mother 3). Yakuza 3 is the same thing in HD.

Alex

Arcane
Gragt said:
PST is a jrpg! The devs said so!

Deal with it.

Well, I guess that if flying can be thought as aiming for the ground and missing, planescape could be seem as trying to make a jrpg and botching it. Wished people botched it like that more often, though.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE OLDER ONES I PLAYED PHYANTASY STAR 2 WHEN I WAS LITTLE AND I LIKED IT AND I HAVE 2-4 ON SOME FAGGY SEGA COLLECTION DISC I MIGHT TRY THEM AGAIN!???!

bhlaab

Erudite
mother 3 is the only jrpg worth playing

mmmmaybe mother 2 as well but thats probably nostalgia on my end

Felix

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
If you haven't played Persona 4 yet, remedy that shit forthwith.

No. Two layers dungeons(also badly done), predictable bosses, too easy, bright yellow and orange in your face, listen to people's BAW about how much their life suck, fucking gay .

Pablosdog

Prophet
Pretty much anything after 97 that's a jprg sucks major cocks.

There are a few exceptions, most of them being niche titles (like Shin megami tensei). Sadly none of them have rape, so I don't think they'll be your forte.

Suikoden 1 and 2 might be up your ally, they have plenty of generic uhh I mean AWESOMO characeters and a GRIMDARKSTORYLINE ABOUT BEST FRIENDS or SOME QUEER SHIT.

The phantasy star games are good, without much of the over the topness that the later games had(neko NYA characters excluded) but they fall under that before 97 crowd

Final fantasy Tactics. Ogre battle. Vandral Hearts. "Tactical" Jrpgs are usually a lot more fun. Stay the fuck away from disgaea.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Face it guys, there are no real rpgs. None can fit the definition.
In the end, there are only videogames, and those that are good and those that are bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A translation of the SNES tactics ogre is going to be released in the next few days. Might waste some time... nah.
Replaying bloodlines in ubuntu now

Considering that wesp 6.9 came out ... err.
modders should have made a weidu like format by now, what is wrong with those guys,

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
How many times do we have to repeat the quote from one of the devs for PST, that FF VII and VIII were inspiration.

PST IS and forever will be a jRPG. Deal with it, and move on.

Fallout devs: "Mad Max was an inspiration for Fallout."

OMGZ FALLOUT IS A MOVIE!!!11!11!1one

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I just beat FF13. A very mediocre experience throughout. 6/10, would not play again.

Seven spoiled me.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
I just beat FF13. A very mediocre experience throughout. 6/10, would not play again.

What a surprising turn of events! Fewer games have reeked so badly of shit in recent memory. I hope you rented it. I personally won't touch it.

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne right now (via Gamefly), due to digging Strange Journey, and it's really fucking boring. If I don't like it by Sunday, it's getting sent back.

I tried Persona 4, but it's just too anime for me, and because I'm a big boy now, I just can't relate to these school kid characters and teen pop stars that populate JRPGs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hai guise! Lets Discuss!!11!! wether PS:T was jrpg. I go first:

it's 2tally linear so it's a jrpg

now someone say shootas are linear too so are they jrpgs

and we have ourselves a genuine argument!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The last good game square released was Vagrant Story. Excellent dungeon crawler with TB combat where you can hit specific body parts, good story without many jrpg cliches and one of the best crafting systems ever. Also, pretty awesome graphics for a PSX game.

It's funny that squares best games are not FF games.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ghostdog said:
The last good game square released was Vagrant Story. Excellent dungeon crawler with TB combat where you can hit specific body parts, good story without many jrpg cliches and one of the best crafting systems ever. Also, pretty awesome graphics for a PSX game.

It's funny that squares best games are not FF games.
Vagrant Story is imo the best game SE released ever (and the best RPG to come out of japan to date). You are awesome for mentioning it Wraithcanine! And incidentally, all the best SE games are directed by Yasumi Matsuno...

Luzur

Good Sir
11izqtj.jpg

2uoszk9.jpg

ive played these, do they count?

random_encounter

Educated
KalosKagathos said:
Several came out for PS3 recently: FF XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Last Rebellion and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Any of them worth bothering with? I don't really care if the story is dumb (unless it's offensively dumb, like the one in Enchanted Arms or FF IX), as long as combat is interesting and the world is fun to explore. Any of the games I listed deliver in these areas?

In before C&C fags making "wrong forum" jokes, herp derp.
FFXIII will bore the shit out of you for half the time before it starts getting moderately better. Not sure about the others except for Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Battle system was great, but if you want your mind raped by dialogue written with mental crayons, then that's the game for you. Resonance of Fate is also done by Tri-Ace, the same devs that worked on Star Ocean, and I haven't even touched that one because of the stink left behind by Last Hope.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Felix said:
Annie Carlson said:
If you haven't played Persona 4 yet, remedy that shit forthwith.

No. Two layers dungeons(also badly done), predictable bosses, too easy, bright yellow and orange in your face, listen to people's BAW about how much their life suck, fucking gay .

Yeah, but it had a good turn-based combat system, and how many games have that these days?

Zeus

Cipher
ghostdog said:

I won't argue about the awesome graphics, but since when did Vagrant Story have turn based combat? You run around in real time and pause to issue commands.

Vagrant Story was one of the most overrated games of the 90s. I hated the main character's peekaboo asspants and the elemental weapon level system that sent you three steps back for every one step forward. (Oh! You swung your sword at a rock enemy! Too bad it makes you suck at all the other elements!)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, you're right the combat is RTWP. But the crafting system was just awesome. I never had problems with making good weapons and you don't really have to craft new ones all the time. And your huge problem with the character is his pants ? I guess it's too bad he isn't the usual emo-whiny-retard hero of square.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom