Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

roll-a-die

Magister
baronjohn said:
except graphically.

Yeah, there, I said it. Skyrim fucking sucks.
No, it's mediocre. Just above average at best. It isn't even particularly BAD, it's just boring and mediocre.

The story sucks,
I see you've elaborated below on this. Allow me to preface this section, with the statement that it honestly CANNOT get worse than oblivion for bad story.
the quests suck,
How are they worse than oblivion, elaborate.

Allow me to give you an example of a quest in Oblivion versus a quest in Skyrim.

Oblivion, you discover a painting that an artist accidentaly got trapped inside using a magical paintbrush, what follows is a shittily made combat slog, that proceeds linearly in one direction, until you get to the end and all is well the artist paints you an exit, and gives you a mcguffin.

Skyrim, The Jarl of Windhelm, the place with the college you seem so exited about below, wants you to retrieve a helm from a ship wreck, he want's it for the symbology of having a helm a first lord wore. What follows is a perfectly logical 2 mile walk to a boat, where you discover an argonian has taken it, and you must either kill the argonian and get the key to the chest containing it, or steal the thing from the argonian by picking the chest open and retrieving it. Shortly thereafter, you return and the Jarl thanks you and give you 400 gold, along with an offer of the position of minor noble.

the gameplay sucks,
Elaborate, as far as I can tell, they've gotten rid of the health bloat, that basically rendered 1 on 1 fights in oblivion 5 minute stock still click fests, where you attempted to slowly whittle down the absurd amounts of hit points that the average person had, before the other person whittled yours down quicker. If you were a mage, fully specced into magic, with the atronach birthsign, and an altmer, it was basically, fire 4 spells, and be done, hoping the four spells managed to get through the hp bloat of the person you were attacking.

the dialogues suck,
Elaborate, how do the suck, especially in comparison to Oblivion. You are making base statements and expecting us to accept them as fact, based on what, your epeen size.
the voice acting sucks,
Quantify, Correlate, and compare. Give references to the subjects you are comparing not statements of agonizingly simple, yet monumental proportions. To give an example of how this is done.

In Skyrim, they have 5 large cities, around the size of oblivions, Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, Riften and Markarth, with 4 smaller cities, in the form of Dawnstar, Falkreath, Morthal, and Winterhold , along with around 10 smaller towns which I'm not going to bother to name, and finally 4 inhabited forts. In oblivion, they have 6 cities, Chorral, Cheydinhal, Bruma, Leyawiin, Skingrad, and Anvil. Along with one major city, The Imperial City, which is made up of about 5 sections each quarter to a half the size of one of the cities. Finally you have 3 villages

The result is that Skyrim has a closer town structure to that of morrowind, with many towns spread out, and just a few major ones, In morrowind those large cities were Sadrith Mora, Belmora, Ald-Run, Vivec, and Ebonheart.

While it spreads content out, and renders much of it moot, it lends it self to a more believable standpoint in terms of world design.

That is and example of comparative analysis. Quantify a feature of the 2 objects, correlate them, and them compare them to a 3 object generally in a similar vein.

So to show you how it's done for this particular feature.

In Oblivion they used approximately 30 actors for around 900 voiced NPCs. In Skyrim, they used around 100 actors for roughly the same amount of NPCs. Comparatively, Bioware used around 30 actors for roughly 50 roles in Mass Effect 2. Skyrim is a middle ground between Biowares level of variety, and Oblivions level of all 30 people in this town have a line from the same voice actor. What having 100 voice actors allowed bethesda to do is, assign each actor a different NPC in each town and do the lines. So that as you are playing in that village there's roughly no repeated voices on anything but the guards. It gave the appearance of focused design, unfortunately the quality of the voices have only marginally improved, and don't begin to come up to the level of Bioware's games. There are niggling issues, like the fact that you will run into a person speaking in a midwestern accent, with a man talking like Arnold the Terminator.

the rpg elements... are non-existent,
They are there, just simplified, here's the fun thing gonna blow your fucking mind, what are RPG elements? Stats, there's concentrated in the form of Health, Mana and Stamina. Dialogue, there, actually better than before because it has more than 14 characters as a limit. Leveling, there, and it has added meaning in the form of skill trees.

but it sure looks nice.
Not really, the Witcher 2 far out strips it.
I was doing the mage quests, and I can't help but compare it to Morrowind.
Your comparing it to oblivion remember.
Irrelevent nattering about another game that you shouldn't really be comparing it to given that your title is that it is worse than Oblivion not morrowind.
Well, fuck all that. That's not MAJESTIC enough.
Oh look a meme, I better catch that and insult it.
I can see the bethpizda meeting now.
I'm assuming pizda means something foul in whatever native tongue you have, and is not simply more insane nattering.

And oh god are the mages in Skyrim MAJESTIC.
Oh look that meme again. I better insult that.
They live on a GIANT ROCK, where the college is made out of GIANT STONE, like everything else in Skyrim. The hall are HUGE, even though there's nothing in them. The only way into a college is through a decrepit walkway over a CHASM OF DEATH, even though this is absolutely the only way to and from there. The place is littered with MYSTERIOUS POOLS OF MANA and KICKASS EPIC LASERS BEAMS INTO THE SKY. The missions ARE MAJESTIC!!!!! The second mission has you SAVING THE WORLD, and fighting EPIC UNDEAD. In the middle of the second mission you're contacted by a MAJESTIC SECRET MAGE ORDER LONG PRESUMED DEAD BUT REALLY OPERATING IN THE SHADOWS WIELDING MORE POWER THAN ANY IMAGINE, AND THEY WANT YOU!!!

Okey doke, allow me to compare that to Oblivion.

First few missions are basically hazing. Then you go to the Arcane university, which is a sector of the imperial city for some reason, and is on it's own island separated by a bridge. Your first mission here, you discover that necromancers have tainted a glade used for staff construction. And that there's apparently an order of necromancers rising up to destroy the mages guild. So you're sent out on missions that basically amount to kill the necromancers, and solve a few puzzles. This leads to no reparations from the guards despite the fact that the people you are killing are not criminals in any way. The quest line ends with you facing the king of worms. A literal god figure from daggerfall. You get promoted to archmage of an INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF MAGES, shortly before facing the king of worms, solely on your abilities as a sell sword and murderer for hire. It starts off slow, then has you brazenly violating the law, and doing stupid shit like killing gods.

EPIC!!!

This whole game is EPIC. If by epic we agree to mean shit.
Not really, the game is pretty good as a hiking sim. Just like Morrowind.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Of the 6 hours I played, Skyrim is definitely much better than Oblivion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
pocahaunted said:
The game is truly shitty.

-The UI is garbage, one of the worst cases of consolitis.
-Quests are fucking terrible, boring fedex shit.
-Every single location feels empty and artificial.
-Every dungeon is linear, with only a few mind numbingly dull "puzzles".
-The plot is just a derivative piece of shit, the usual rehashed chosen one bullshit.
-Character progression is just terrible, leveling up has almost no effect.
-The engine is terrible, again, same goes for the shitty, circa late 90s/early 3D style animations which makes the combat unbearable.

This list goes on.

Thank fuck I own a keyboard with around 104 keys, but I can only use 2 different attacks at a time without having to go through a disgusting consolitis ridden menu. Truly disgusting, I just can't understand why "PC gamers" keep salivating all over this shit as if it were the second coming of Christ. Who in their right mind enjoys playing shitty console ports with their repugnant UIs?

You don't understand the game has C&C! You can either do a quest and get a reward or don't do a quest and you get no reward (OMG OMG)!

And quests are awesome! Whole 2 kinds of them! Kill X or deliver X! Definitely an improvement over Oblivion

ThunderHorse said:
Skyrim is bleak, but alive. Read more slowly.

OMG OMG there's a guard tower with guards in it standing in one place and then 50m away there are evil giants standing in one place - have you ever seen a word more alive?!

And you kill your first dragon at lvl3! OMG the game is so majestic!

ThunderHorse

Novice
MetalCraze said:
ThunderHorse said:
Skyrim is bleak, but alive. Read more slowly.

OMG OMG there's a guard tower with guards in it standing in one place and then 50m away there are evil giants standing in one place - have you ever seen a word more alive?!

And you kill your first dragon at lvl3! OMG the game is so majestic!

Your mockery of an excited fanboy doesn't work because my post did not convey any such excitement. You're just a common forum regular attempting to condescend. Pretty transparent. Anyway on topic, there are plenty of things that make the world seem alive. Bards playing instruments and singing. Rustling wind, blizzards, insects flying around, flowing rivers (with very nice water by the way), guilds discussing things then stopping to acknowledge your presence. Random dragons swooping in to kill you. I'm actually listing real game elements instead of trying to insult in vain. You're not countering anything I've typed. You're just helping me make the case that people here already had their minds made. Thanks for the help.

Bruticis

Skyway why don't you just slash your throat and end it all. You're NEVER going to get another mainstream title that you'll enjoy EVER again. The golden era is dead and it's never coming back again. Move on with your pathetic life. Nobody is saying Skyrim is OMG fucking awesome. Skyrim is a decent game which some will get enjoyment out of. Why does this butt hurt you so?

Vagiel

Augur
baronjohn said:
except graphically.

Yeah, there, I said it. Skyrim fucking sucks. The story sucks, the quests suck, the gameplay sucks, the dialogues suck, the voice acting sucks, the rpg elements... are non-existent, but it sure looks nice.

I was doing the mage quests, and I can't help but compare it to Morrowind. Remember how the mage guild was down to earth in Morrowind? Remember how they had a normal looking building in the city? Remember how they started you out on really mundane tasks aimed at familiarizing you with your environment? Remember how you advanced through the ranks, and the ranks actually had requirements that made you sure you were an actual mage? Remember how the high level missions were mostly political?

Well, fuck all that. That's not MAJESTIC enough. I can see the bethpizda meeting now. "We want something that kids who don't have enough of an attention span to watch Harry Potter movies will enjoy."

And oh god are the mages in Skyrim MAJESTIC. They live on a GIANT ROCK, where the college is made out of GIANT STONE, like everything else in Skyrim. The hall are HUGE, even though there's nothing in them. The only way into a college is through a decrepit walkway over a CHASM OF DEATH, even though this is absolutely the only way to and from there. The place is littered with MYSTERIOUS POOLS OF MANA and KICKASS EPIC LASERS BEAMS INTO THE SKY. The missions ARE MAJESTIC!!!!! The second mission has you SAVING THE WORLD, and fighting EPIC UNDEAD. In the middle of the second mission you're contacted by a MAJESTIC SECRET MAGE ORDER LONG PRESUMED DEAD BUT REALLY OPERATING IN THE SHADOWS WIELDING MORE POWER THAN ANY IMAGINE, AND THEY WANT YOU!!!

EPIC!!!

This whole game is EPIC. If by epic we agree to mean shit.

Damn, trolling in codex has certainly declined...

Hint: Try to use actual arguments, saying that it has worst voice acting than a game with five voices is kind of stupid. Also the mage guild is normal to be this way since magic in general has different role here than it had in morrowind.

pocahaunted

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
pocahaunted said:
-The UI is garbage, one of the worst cases of consolitis.
The UI is equally horrible when playing on a console.

Granted, it's just that its harder to make a decent UI for consoles, such that a PC game, with a much broader range of control options, should never have such a terrible UI.

They just didn't bother, it's a console game first and foremost.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Bruticis said:
Skyway why don't you just slash your throat and end it all. You're NEVER going to get another mainstream title that you'll enjoy EVER again. The golden era is dead and it's never coming back again.

I thought Skyway liked lots of modern titles? ARMA, Divinity, Risen etc?

Bruticis

Skyway doesn't like anything. His sole purpose in life is troll every single thread of any new game release and bash it ad nauseum.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
ThunderHorse said:
It was sterile and lacked immersion
ThunderHorse said:
Skyrim is a good game.
Troll detected, opinion ignored.

Also :bro: for Skyway for not lapping up the new shit as if it was candy like everybody else seems to be doing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@thesisko: he talks about mainstream titles by which he means AAA where budget goes not into developing a good game but into 100m high flags on skyscrapers with SKYRIM written on them.

Because apparently there are only mainstream and indie games and nothing in between.

As for mainstream - I gladly played through GTA4 (which nonetheless was worse than VC and SA) and GTA is not just some mainstream, it's even more MAJESTIC. And I'm certainly looking forward to GTA5 IF they will bring back silliness of SA back into it.

Bruticis

Jack said:
ThunderHorse said:
ThunderHorse said:
Skyrim is a good game.

Also :bro: for Skyway for not lapping up the new shit as if it was candy like everybody else seems to be doing.
Retard detected! Nobody is "lapping up" Skyrim. People are enjoying it for what it is. I'm not seeing anyone calling for this to go on the coveted top 10 list of Kodexia.

MetalCraze

Arcane
People are enjoying it for what it is

And sheeple certainly spend too much cum while doing so.

The "it's good for what it is, not top10 RPG evar but everything in it is sooo goood" is a perfect excuse for enjoying even the worst kind of shit because hey you didn't say it's better than Fallout, so there's no problem!

ThunderHorse

Novice
MetalCraze said:
@thesisko: he talks about mainstream titles by which he means AAA where budget goes not into developing a good game but into 100m high flags on skyscrapers with SKYRIM written on them.

Because apparently there are only mainstream and indie games and nothing in between.

As for mainstream - I gladly played through GTA4 (which nonetheless was worse than VC and SA) and GTA is not just some mainstream, it's even more MAJESTIC. And I'm certainly looking forward to GTA5 IF they will bring back silliness of SA back into it.
Lol@ you thinking GTA 4 is better than Skyrim. Maybe your opinion is just horrible then. GTA 4 was super linear with clunky controls.

Bruticis

ThunderHorse said:
MetalCraze said:

Lol@ you thinking GTA 4 is better than Skyrim. Maybe your opinion is just horrible then. GTA 4 was super linear with clunky controls.
I hate to agree with a retarded troll but how the hell is GTA fun to anyone? I don't get the appeal at all. You run around and steal cars and shoot people, over and over and over again (oh right, the mini games). I've tried to get into them, they seem interesting at first but I end up bored within an hour.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bruticis said:
Why does this butt hurt you so?

The ghosts of KOTOR past are lashing him terribly every night while wailing "Finish the 8th playthrough, finish the 8th playthrough".

Captain Shrek

Bruticis said:
Skyway doesn't like anything. His sole purpose in life is troll every single thread of any new game release and bash it ad nauseum.

not true. He likes thief. For that I am willing to forgive anything, not implying that there is anything to forgive whatsoever.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Jack said:
ThunderHorse said:
ThunderHorse said:
Skyrim is a good game.

I believe Jack's post really meant "I have no valid arguments against Thunder so I will call him a troll"

Bruticis

MetalCraze said:
People are enjoying it for what it is

And sheeple certainly spend too much cum while doing so.

The "it's good for what it is, not top10 RPG evar but everything in it is sooo goood" is a perfect excuse for enjoying even the worst kind of shit because hey you didn't say it's better than Fallout, so there's no problem!
Err no, I'm saying I'm finding Skyrim entertaining enough to continue playing it. Period. There isn't anything else right now that looks interesting to me. I was currently replaying Utlima 6 and took a break to play Skyrim. When I finish Skyrim, I'll go back to replaying Ultima 6 and any other older game I've played and enjoyed dozens of times.

Project: Eternity
Well... I played it for a little bit.
At first, I fucking despised this shit. The character creation had my jaw dropping at how mindblowingly fucking RETARDED it was, the sort of shit made for ADHD Down Syndrome babies that can't comprehend much more than "heeeerp my magic is 20% COOLER IN TWO UNABLE TO USE THE MOUSE FOR ANYTHING AT ALL'S FLAT".
I went into the first town, fucked right off of the main quest after getting some free shit, and started running around. I fought some bandits whose pathfinding was like a Parkinson's sufferer fucking pissing. They started running towards me, but then they hit a fucking rock, so they spend like four seconds apparently calculating how to move around a rock, then they took the LONGEST POSSIBLE ROUTE around the rock, and then they were DEAD because they couldn't handle their own legs and I had a bow and arrow.
I went into a building *filled* with bandits, and killed one, and, as soon as my HP started dropping a little low, I walked outside of the building. They didn't fucking follow me, of course, so I was able to wait for one hour to heal back up to max, and the fucking bandits were suddenly scattered and completely unaware of my presence in the building as soon as I walked back in. WOOO LOT OF SHIT GOIN' ON WITH THIS AI.
The interface - fucking hell, the interface. Scrolling through fucking menus with oversized text with exclusively the keyboard really tested on my fucking patience, and the retarded as hell "Q for Favorites" system gave me a fucking aneurysm. The game fucking decided that the 1-9 keys were overrated, apparently, so no quick, simple access for me, nope!
I didn't enjoy the fucking 40 minute railroad at the beginning of the game. Morrowind had about five minutes worth of "you're not allowed to do shit," and there was more interactivity available in two buildings and an outdoors area with a barrel.
The animations... fucking hell, the animations. Stuttery, twitchy, ugly ass fucking nightmares. I don't fucking KNOW how a company as big as Bethesda can miss out on something as fucking simple and fundamental as DECENT ANIMATIONS. They claim immersion and all that shit, but you have to LARP the fuck out of it to maintain immersion when your dogs run like crippled penguins and your bandits stutter their way up slopes.

But, okay... Here's the catch. I played it some more, just to confirm my suspicions that the entire nightmare was offensively shit. And, the thing is...
I actually started enjoying it. I don't know if it was the adventuring or whatever, but there was SOMETHING in there gratifying enough to make me want to play more of it. I've been wandering around recovering Dragon shouts, and the combat is genuinely difficult on the highest difficulty setting - and not tedious difficult, either, as in, "the only way I'm going to survive this is if I chug this potion, poison him once, switch to sword, power attack twice, and then swing like hell."
I don't know... It's really not a game I can play for long bursts, but I found it kind of fun occasionally, and I'll probably play it some more today. I'd rate it, eh... maybe 5/10. It's exactly average. Maybe even a little less than average, but there's some sort of reality distorting magic that makes it genuinely fun. I'm not sure what justifies all of those fucking overbloated scores, but I $$have an idea$$.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Bruticis said:
ThunderHorse said:
MetalCraze said:

I hate to agree with a retarded troll but how the hell is GTA fun to anyone? I don't get the appeal at all. You run around and steal cars and shoot people, over and over and over again (oh right, the mini games). I've tried to get into them, they seem interesting at first but I end up bored within an hour.
lol@ me not agreeing with a bunch of people who had already made up their minds + me not having many posts making me a "retarded troll" in your eyes. I've done nothing but making valid points. Also lol@ you being careful to disagree with them while being careful to not alienate yourself.

Bruticis

What, you thought I was your friend cause you did a bro fist? You're an idiot as is Skyway, end of story. I don't know who else this them is you are referring to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom