Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear was actually OK

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In other news, Skyrim is a hidden gem.

I agree with most of what the OP wrote, except for the title. Just because it has some decent parts (items, big combats, good side quests) does not make the sum of its parts even "OK".

The plot & story being absolutely horrible cannot make up for the good stuff. The fact that it doesn't tie into either BG1 or BG2 in any real meaningful way, even to the extent of bridging the gap between them (you're still left with "And then we all got captured randomly & wound up in Chateau Irenicus") which was supposed to be its whole purpose. It actually diminishes Irenicus in a way. And the whole Skie plot felt stupid & completely OOC for her. Also, it's a minor complaint, but shows how little thought they put into the resolution: a Cleric couldn't wield the Soultaker dagger anyway - no matter how silly that 2nd Edition rule is in hindsight, it was still a rule.

Skie was just the most egregious example of the butchering of existing characters' behaviors & personalities. Safana was also horribly treated by the writers. Even when they tried to explain Imoen's development into a Mage, they handled it in the worst way possible - just removing her from the party & sidelining her. They tried to explain that by pointing out she was needed for the sequel, but you could still get Khalid killed "too early" for example, so that reason doesn't actually work.

The other thing I had a big problem with was throwing our mid-level party up against several of the big hitters from BG2, which is 1) unrealistic & 2) undercuts meeting them for the first time in BG2: an Illithid, a Lich, a Dragon, for example. Icing on the cake was Belhifet - a demon, in his home plane, who our IWD 15+ level parties often struggled with.

There is certainly a great deal wrong with Dragonspear. We all seem quite in a agreement that the plot and NPCs were absolutely abominations. I can't say I take issue with some of the rather epic foes, since this module came out over a decade later. There is no thunder being stolen. They were fun and engaging fights. Pretty much every map and dungeon (after you leave Baldur's Gate) is pretty fun. Some are even challenging. I did think it was dumb to fight Belhifet on his home plane at his seat of power, but again, we already know the plot is bad. The areas were interesting to explore and the fights were fun.

The BG series was my obsession. If I were to add up all the hours I've ever played video games in my entire life, it's quite possible that as much as 1/3 of them have been on Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. I tried to objectively assess Dragonspear after the dust settled, and I think I walked away with a fair appraisal. The combat and exploration are good and satisfying. New music and items are serviceable. Beyond the antagonist(s) and several playable NPCs, the poor writing and plot's greatest offense is being forced into cannon. If this module had been indifferent to the Baldur's Gate saga's lore and were a quasi-stand-alone content like Tales of the Sword Coast, it wouldn't be receiving the loathing it has. I'm not trying to be a Beamdog apologist, make no mistake about that. Is SoD a blight on the BG Saga? Yes. We all agree. Was it fun to play and explore? Outside of the first and last plot laden chapters--yes it was.

Last edited:

Imrahil

Educated
If this module had been indifferent to the Baldur's Gate saga's lore and were a quasi-stand-alone content like Tales of the Sword Coast, it wouldn't be receiving the loathing it has.
Just to address this specific point, I almost agree, except for the comparison to TotSC. For me SoD would have needed to be an entirely separate game for me to not compare it to what it was supposedly "building on". I've been running through Torment: Tides of Numenera for the first time & having a similar impression: it'd be "OK", maybe even moderately interesting if underwhelming *if it hadn't been connected to a prior awesome game*.

But because they both used that association to generate interest, they set themselves a high bar that they very much failed to clear.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If this module had been indifferent to the Baldur's Gate saga's lore and were a quasi-stand-alone content like Tales of the Sword Coast, it wouldn't be receiving the loathing it has.
Just to address this specific point, I almost agree, except for the comparison to TotSC. For me SoD would have needed to be an entirely separate game for me to not compare it to what it was supposedly "building on". I've been running through Torment: Tides of Numenera for the first time & having a similar impression: it'd be "OK", maybe even moderately interesting if underwhelming *if it hadn't been connected to a prior awesome game*.

But because they both used that association to generate interest, they set themselves a high bar that they very much failed to clear.

The real question is which is worse, Siege of Dragonspear or Tides of Numanuma.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They should have just done a small game with Gorion and some harpers. Or - as you say a seperate game - just to put their pinky little toes in the water to test the reception. It would have probably been shit, but if it was half decent they might have generated some good will. Then built up to a BG expansion pack.

But no. They had to jump in like they were the OG team with full rights to make a game in the trilogy. And they succeeded in making a game that was mostly crap to old and new fans alike. And all these people saying the writing was total shit, but the rest of the game was good, well - what seperates a professional product from fan-fiction mods is the writing. If the western world can't produce a single writer that can write standard coherant sentences, then we're doomed.

Personally I think it's the fault of my generation (gen x). It's like we went from the boomers straight to millenials. WTF are gen x doing?. Have they checked out?. Or pissing away their time bitching about the other generations on forums?.

Imrahil

Educated
Personally I think it's the fault of my generation (gen x). It's like we went from the boomers straight to millenials. WTF are gen x doing?. Have they checked out?. Or pissing away their time bitching about the other generations on forums?.
I'm Gen X, too. And while I agree with most of what you wrote, I don't think it's us. We famously don't give a shit. Could. Not. Care. Less. It's our one defining trait & I'd be proud of it if I could muster up the energy.

We don't even get into the Boomer vs. Millenial conflict. They hate each other, I guess? Meh. Just give me good video games & leave me alone & I'm fine.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imrahil Yeah, but is that the right route to have taken?. https://babylonbee.com/news/nations...boomers-millennials-tear-each-other-to-shreds

"We're just gonna slowly back away and stay out of the crossfire," said Mike Ganders, 49. "The boomers are blaming the millennials for everything, the millennials pin all their problems on the boomers---and frankly, I'm OK with this arrangement."

"We kinda have it made," Ganders added. "We get all the benefits of the boomers' unsustainable social programs and get to be a little bit lazy like the millennials, and yet they skip right over us and blame the other guy."

Millenials are kinda like our mentally challenged/retarded younger brothers and sisters, and we kinda just let them run the farm for a bit, and now the whole family is gonna lose the farm. I think Amber Scott was Gen X but probably stunted development so may as well be a millenial, and she got away with murder in the sense that she murdered SOD.

Maybe they tried to steer her in the right direction with that other writer that wrote 'Cowboys and Aliens' but it didn't work. I just think she should have been accidently dropped down an empty lift shaft one day. It's a crime that that never happened. Now the latest Owlcat game is based on a module she wrote.

It seems to me that checking out has led to there not being any consequences in industry.

-I'm only half serious with this post. Amber Scott was probably sucking someones dick the whole time to keep her job and that's all there is to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom