Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
Let me see if I understand this, CIG made a nightmare of a respawn system, sold you the solution for it up to a thousand dollars and now they are changing all that while doing a sale on the said solution? Bhahahahahahahah!
Wrong. All med beds get spawn points. Basically like AMS from PlanetSide. Trucks from WW2OL. Etc.

Also this is how it used to be. It is just a return to that.
.... and didn't you need a space ship with a medbay or something to spawn on said... space ship ?

You needed a medical bed. Originally it was any medical bed on a ship. They took that away from all ships but the 890 and Carrack. They've now restored the functionality to all ships including the new ground based one.

All medical ships sell well. It's pretty smooth brain for people on Spectrum to think this was a nefarious plan. The C8R came out two years ago and was a top seller despite having zero use due to it not being a T1 med Bay.

If you thought I meant regular beds I apologize

Myobi

Liturgist
It's pretty smooth brain for people on Spectrum to think this was a nefarious plan.
Yeah, no company would ever purposely come up with retarded systems just to sell you ways to avoid it, imagine making crap like leveling a boring and grindy ass experience just to promote retarded shit such as character boosts... ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Val the Moofia Boss

roflmaaaoooo.jpg

I guess someone over MMO-C must be pretty fucking butthurt right now ;D

ADL

Prophet
Rather than thinking about it as a paid solution to a problem, think about it as a whole in universe profession gameplay loop because that is what it is. The current medical bed situation sets false expectations for what the live game will be like for anyone who doesn't pay attention but they've been as vocal as possible about their intent. Today they reiterated that death of a spaceman is still coming and they might do a whole panel on it at CitizenCon this year.

Assuming they go with death of a spaceman in the near future, a medical ship would be nice to have with you in organized group play for ground combat missions but it's not just a unlimited spawn beacon. That's just gonna permadeath your character faster. Also you're giving up plenty of utility if you're solo/all grouped up in a medical vehicle.

As with everything else in Star Citizen, the gives and takes of each vehicle archetype are the balance. Fly a medical vehicle in Pyro solo and you're gonna get fucked.

Perkel

Arcane
Hmmm... I think EPTU for 4.0 will be published very soon it won't contain Pyro though. The recent test for server meshing went waaaay to well.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
It's pretty smooth brain for people on Spectrum to think this was a nefarious plan.
Yeah, no company would ever purposely come up with retarded systems just to sell you ways to avoid it, imagine making crap like leveling a boring and grindy ass experience just to promote retarded shit such as character boosts... ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Val the Moofia Boss

roflmaaaoooo.jpg

I guess someone over MMO-C must be pretty fucking butthurt right now ;D

The SC respawn was bad for a very long time and there was never a plan to begin with. I started pushing for respawn changes over 7+ months ago and it looks like we are finally getting some. I don't think I had everything to do with it but I did not see anyone else pushing for change. Don't contribute malice to something that was a result of stupidity.

Rather than thinking about it as a paid solution to a problem, think about it as a whole in universe profession gameplay loop because that is what it is. The current medical bed situation sets false expectations for what the live game will be like for anyone who doesn't pay attention but they've been as vocal as possible about their intent. Today they reiterated that death of a spaceman is still coming and they might do a whole panel on it at CitizenCon this year.

Assuming they go with death of a spaceman in the near future, a medical ship would be nice to have with you in organized group play for ground combat missions but it's not just a unlimited spawn beacon. That's just gonna permadeath your character faster. Also you're giving up plenty of utility if you're solo/all grouped up in a medical vehicle.

As with everything else in Star Citizen, the gives and takes of each vehicle archetype are the balance. Fly a medical vehicle in Pyro solo and you're gonna get fucked.

I am actually writing up a post now on Spectrum feedback about it. Have you by chance seen any of my other things about respawns?

Oh and as promised. Day 1 of Invictus purchases here:

cd8gI85.png

(Does not include the medivac units I purchased for some of our money tight members)

Myobi

Liturgist
The SC respawn was bad for a very long time and there was never a plan to begin with. I started pushing for respawn changes over 7+ months ago and it looks like we are finally getting some. I don't think I had everything to do with it but I did not see anyone else pushing for change. Don't contribute malice to something that was a result of stupidity.
.... and why not both? Greed and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Also, did you ever had issues with the spectrum moderation when voicing such issues?

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
.... and why not both? Greed and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Also, did you ever had issues with the spectrum moderation when voicing such issues?

Could be both. I wont argue with you on that one. But a lot of very, very good people work there. They also do listen to feedback. Within reason of course. And yes forum moderation is very heavy handed. I keep my threads as professional as possible to make sure the feedback is heard. I tend to just ignore the retards there though. It's called Spectrum for a reason. But they don't lock things down for bitching. People there bitch all the time. Usually just personal attacks gets a delete.

Myobi

Liturgist
But a lot of very, very good people work there. They also do listen to feedback.
From what I've heard, the general issue doesn't seem to be the lack of good people nor talent, but shitty leadership that wants to micro manage everything without solid goals or realistic expectations.

As for the "spectrum" itself, seen plenty of memes about "Nightrider" and his autistic crusade against negativity, but never really cared wasting time in that place.

Stokowski

Arcane
Took my annual dip into the 'verse of disappointment.

No money. Rubbish basic ship. Best do some delivery missions.

First delivery mission went flawlessly. WTF?

Second delivery mission the ship took damage from landing, presumably from descending gently onto the pad one moment to being randomly yeeted about 200 meters into a cliff. Then package fell through the receiving machine and into the floor. The delivery hadn't registered and the box couldn't be retrieved, so the mission failed. Ah, this is more like it.

Third delivery mission I arrive at the pickup point and there's nothing there. No buildings, no settlement at all. Ran around the quest area trying to figure out what was going on. After ten minutes all the buildings and a landing pad suddenly spawn in, yay! But the marker for the package showed it was now stuck under the newly spawned landing pad, and couldn't be retrieved.

So, 66% failure rate on the most basic-arse mission type imaginable, and it cost me more in ship repairs than I made from the one successful mission.

$597 million doesn't buy what it used to.

NwNgger

Educated
The fan base is very delusional and expects something that the game can never be. It's a mix of morons wanting Second Life in space, ARMA in space, some weird mil-sim shit, or big space rigging without combat and optional PvP. Its best bet is a more accessible first-person EVE Online with better combat. Anything else will be a failure. Something else that is impressive is the number of onlookers without a pot to piss in being concerned with how more financially successful people decide to waste their money.

I do not mean any of that. I mean the fucking retards who think it should be anything but an MMO game. The second life morons and mil-sim boomers. Also, since everyone is a "backer" they feel entitled to their dumb fuck opinions.
I'm ambivalent about SC but I agree it should be more like Eve and that's certainly the vibe the devs seem to be presenting. It is unfortunate that PvP focused sandbox MMOs come along and are immediately met with demands to be more like a themepark MMO like WoW by ignorant people. Not every MMO needs to be slop appealing to everyone. We can have more niche games. And the open PvP nature of Star Citizen does make it more thrilling when I've played. There's nothing quite like that fear, thrill and the risk and reward of dynamic player driven gameplay. Some people hate that. But those people should not be playing games like Eve or Star Citizen and shouldn't be demanding those games change to cater them.

Myobi

Liturgist

"As of February 2024, indie game Stardew Valley has sold over 30 million copies across all platforms, with PC accounting for the majority of sales (19 million)."

The game sells for 14€ a copy, but for simplicity and considering it goes on sale time to time, let's drop it to 10€ a copy, that's 300,000,000€ on a game developed by a single guy on its spare time.

Almost a billion in SC is... still impressive in its own special perspective, I guess, but considering their over the top office decorations doesn't surprise me that the project is now riding on the will of their private investors.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

"As of February 2024, indie game Stardew Valley has sold over 30 million copies across all platforms, with PC accounting for the majority of sales (19 million)."

The game sells for 14€ a copy, but for simplicity and considering it goes on sale time to time, let's drop it to 10€ a copy, that's 300,000,000€ on a game developed by a single guy on its spare time.

Almost a billion in SC is... still impressive in its own special perspective, I guess, but considering their over the top office decorations doesn't surprise me that the project is now riding on the will of their private investors.
On that 300 million, the developer only gets 60 - 70% of it due to storefront/platform fees.

LJ40

Cipher

On that 300 million, the developer only gets 60 - 70% of it due to storefront/platform fees.
So you're saying they only made 180-210 million for not making a game?

Modron

Arcane
Doesn't steam cut go down the more sales you get? Plus they let them generate and sell their own keys. I imagine the storefront cut was closer to 20% at the end of the day.

Myobi

Liturgist

Steam is highly known for taking a big slice, and that's 30%, mind if I ask you where are these "70%" coming from?

Also, kind of irrelevant to the point.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
The fan base is very delusional and expects something that the game can never be. It's a mix of morons wanting Second Life in space, ARMA in space, some weird mil-sim shit, or big space rigging without combat and optional PvP. Its best bet is a more accessible first-person EVE Online with better combat. Anything else will be a failure. Something else that is impressive is the number of onlookers without a pot to piss in being concerned with how more financially successful people decide to waste their money.

I do not mean any of that. I mean the fucking retards who think it should be anything but an MMO game. The second life morons and mil-sim boomers. Also, since everyone is a "backer" they feel entitled to their dumb fuck opinions.
I'm ambivalent about SC but I agree it should be more like Eve and that's certainly the vibe the devs seem to be presenting. It is unfortunate that PvP focused sandbox MMOs come along and are immediately met with demands to be more like a themepark MMO like WoW by ignorant people. Not every MMO needs to be slop appealing to everyone. We can have more niche games. And the open PvP nature of Star Citizen does make it more thrilling when I've played. There's nothing quite like that fear, thrill and the risk and reward of dynamic player driven gameplay. Some people hate that. But those people should not be playing games like Eve or Star Citizen and shouldn't be demanding those games change to cater them.

You're totally right. We will likely see a high sec / low sec divide. And it was mentioned at last year's Citcon. PvE gets very boring very fast, but PvP will need some sort of structure to be anything more than a retard gank fest. I hope for factions personally in Pyro.

Also seeing ILW break record funding this year made me smile. All the bads crying about the respawn changes and new flight model and threatening to "vote with their wallet" were absolutely BLOWN THE FUCK OUT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom