Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah it should carry over. But in the demo you can only choose one character.
Thanks for the response! Let us know how long the demo lasts if you get a chance.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Let us know how long the demo lasts if you get a chance.
Took me about 5-6 hours on Switch. You get one character in the demo depending on the platform, in the case of Switch it's Ameya Aisling, a witch who poses as a schoolgirl.

Had a lot of fun with it. The combat system is an improvement over Scarlet Grace, as there's a lot more space for customization -- I gave Ameya a gun and a fleuret.

I developed her as a gun-toting witch, which was hilarious when combined with the battle theme in the early battles.

The visuals look better in motion and the music is great. Exploration felt more linear compared to SG at first but later gives you more choices on which events to tackle.

Overall I'm hyped for the full version. Scarlet Grace felt tame compared to other entries, but this one so far is an improvement and sometimes cranks it back to 11.

Stats are no longer fixed and grow after the battle.

Sentinel

Arcane
The PC demo main character (songstress) has a scottish VA.

I pray this game has a japanese VA option. I can't handle this.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'm playing the PS4 demo (with Tsunanori Mido) and I can see that the exploration also improved compared to Scarlet Grace. It's nowhere near the dungeons from Minstrel Song or Unlimited SaGa, but it's a step forward from the open fields of SC.

That said, I'm not a fan of being unable to select Japanese VA. It's probably possible to mod it on PC, but if you're playing on a console, you're screwed.

Landon

Novice
I'm playing the PS4 demo (with Tsunanori Mido) and I can see that the exploration also improved compared to Scarlet Grace. It's nowhere near the dungeons from Minstrel Song or Unlimited SaGa, but it's a step forward from the open fields of SC.

That said, I'm not a fan of being unable to select Japanese VA. It's probably possible to mod it on PC, but if you're playing on a console, you're screwed.
Are you sure there's no option to select Japanese VA? At least in the PC demo the option exists under Language Settings.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Are you sure there's no option to select Japanese VA? At least in the PC demo the option exists under Language Settings.
Thanks, I'll double-check that.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
How do interrupts work? I can't find anything about it in the tips section.
IIRC they react to damage types -- e.g. if the interrupt assigned to a character works against piercing attacks and an enemy uses a piercing attack, then this character will attack this enemy when right before he performs his action.

They can be quelled with a ranged attack.

Landon

Novice

Thanks, I'll double-check that.
Oh sorry I can confirm that it's just the console demos lacking the option. Weird.

Sentinel

Arcane
IIRC they react to damage types -- e.g. if the interrupt assigned to a character works against piercing attacks and an enemy uses a piercing attack, then this character will attack this enemy when right before he performs his action.

How do I know what attack the enemy will use though?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

How do I know what attack the enemy will use though?
In the case of Emerald Beyond it's displayed under their portraits + a helper icon appears over them when you highlight the interrupt tech.

Jinn

Arcane
Really enjoying the game so far, but I'm a little bummed they chose Diva 05 for the PC demo. It's a fun scenario, but I'm not sure I'd like it to be my first full playthrough of the game. Basically every other character is more appealing to me, not only conceptually, but mechanically too. Robot progression is neat, but not exactly what I want my main character doing on my first playthrough.

Torn as to whether I'm going to finish the demo or not. If I knew I could return to the Diva playthrough at some point after the other characters I want to play without having to start over, I'd definitely keep going.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Well then, I finished the demo on Switch and PS4 and started it on PC and encountered one of the scenarios I've played through on PS4. It seems you can access certain unique events within these scenarios depending on which character you've picked.

The PS4 demo is the biggest one, with three possible scenarios, while Switch and PC seem to be stuck with a single scenario, but compensate for that with more varied party lineups.

I think I'll stop and wait for the full game, but after getting a taste of three characters, I think this will be a fun entry in the series and quite an improvement over Scarlet Grace, with much more flexibility and space for chaos in battles.

Also, Brutal battles are assrapingly difficult and feel more challenging than the ones in SG -- I'm not a pro player by any means, so I had to use every trick up my sleeve to survive through them.

I'm interested in how things go later in the game because if this is just the beginning, I think I'll spend dozens of hours playing this.

Oh sorry I can confirm that it's just the console demos lacking the option. Weird.
Thanks, I just checked, you can switch to Japanese VA on PC. Guess I'll check how it runs on my Steam Deck and probably get it on PC first, 'cause the English VA ranges from OK to cringe.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
EDIT: I'm retarded, you get access to 2 scenarios in each demo across a single playthrough, but the PC and PS4 demos have the biggest number of choices while the Switch demo is linear in comparison.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah but it's like, going to your fridge and choosing a ham sandwich over peanut butter, that doesn't cause the peanut butter to cease to exist.
No, it's more like you chose to spend your time speaking to someone or taking on a task and the rest of the world moved on while you were busy. Opportunities were gained and opportunities were lost as a result of the passage of time, which events and encounters represent. At least that's been my observation with how events are chosen and lost in the game. Also, it's not every fight by any means. It's pretty clear when you can take on multiple available encounters without it passing time, but there might be a need for minor experimentation at times. Keep multiple saves until you get the hang of it.

As for playing through the demo, I was fiddling around on the main menu, and there seems to be an option to to carry character progress into overall playthroughs, so I decided to keep going. There's some cool surprises with Diva's progression that I didn't see coming and I'm having a great time. Still think I'll switch to another character once the full game comes out and circle back to her scenario later, but I'm enjoying her's more and more as I go on.

Last edited:

KafkaBot

Scholar
Is Romancing Saga 2 worth playing now? I recall it having tons of flaws when the Steam port came out. I tried looking at the Steam reviews, but all of the most helpful and informative ones are quite old.

Jinn

Arcane
Is Romancing Saga 2 worth playing now? I recall it having tons of flaws when the Steam port came out. I tried looking at the Steam reviews, but all of the most helpful and informative ones are quite old.
Beyond the regrettable mobile UI and me wishing the world assets were closer to the Super Famicom pixel art, I can't think of any major flaws. So yes, as it's the only way to play the game in English, it's absolutely worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom