Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with fast progression?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I like reasonably fast progression. Don't like waiting forever for a level. It doesnt have to be Tales of Mah Eyal or Diablo, but something like ToEE, Wizardry 6-8 or MMX. So slightly faster than average, don't like slogs.

DaveO

Erudite
I'd be remiss if I did not mention SSI's Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger. Easy to power play and VERY fast initial character progressing to grinding enemies.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
My first answers would be any Might & Magic (though I've not played the first one), especially 3, World of Xeen or 7 and even more their clones like Swords & Sorcery : Underworld and Legends of Amberland (probably the second one too but I've not played it yet) which play even faster.

Obviously you've played those but in Knights of the chalice 1&2 you get to gain a level every 4 fights or something.

From what I remember your characters in Devil Whiskey end at something like level 50 while the game is not that long.

In Centauri Alliance the encounter rate is very low and overall you gain a level after a few encounters.

baba is you

Educated
In my experience, it's Might and Magic3. Might and Magic 1 requires grinding, which is why progress is so slow. Might & Magic 2 has faster progression than 1, but it's a bit ambiguous because it has an anti-grind (I hate this) system.

If you can get away from the blobber, Fallout 1-2 or Arcanum would be my picks.

Iucounu

Educated
ARK Survival Evolved levels up annoyingly often in the beginning, but after a while it starts to calm down.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The Quest
Chronicon
Dungeons of Dredmor

Other for consideration that might not fit the bill but are satisfying nonetheless

Darklands
ASTLIBRA Revision
Dark Sun Shattered Lands

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fallout 4. You level fairly quickly anyway, particularly if you follow the main quest, but if you maximize intelligence, it's ridiculous.

ind33d

Learned
I like reasonably fast progression. Don't like waiting forever for a level. It doesnt have to be Tales of Mah Eyal or Diablo, but something like ToEE, Wizardry 6-8 or MMX. So slightly faster than average, don't like slogs.
Starfield gives you 150% XP if you get laid, but obviously you wouldn't have noticed

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I played Arcanum normally last week and ended up level 40. The first 30 levels are lightning fast but then it normalizes. Level cap is 50 so hitting 60 must be with mods.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
ARK Survival Evolved levels up annoyingly often in the beginning, but after a while it starts to calm down.
I wouldn't say it's annoying so much as it's fairly crazy the stuff you don't know when you start off ARK. Thank God the progression is quick at the start so I can figure out how to make a pile of grass to sleep on.
Dungeons of Dredmor
This is a fantastically underrated game.
Fallout 4. You level fairly quickly anyway, particularly if you follow the main quest, but if you maximize intelligence, it's ridiculous.
It's also a game where leveling up doesn't seem to matter. I was never eagerly awaiting level up in Fallout 4. I'd level, and if I was in the middle of doing something, didn't even bother to check the character screen. It wasn't uncommon for me to open the character screen and discovered I'd leveled up several times since the last time I checked it. Even then, it was more a matter of, "Well, I guess I'll put these points somewhere" as opposed to "Oh cool! Now I get to put these points somewhere!"

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I played Arcanum normally last week and ended up level 40. The first 30 levels are lightning fast but then it normalizes. Level cap is 50 so hitting 60 must be with mods.
Yah - people forget vanilla Arcanum had an xp per hit system, so you didn't get xps for hits by your team. That seriously curtailed levels unless you were prepared to grind. But since nobody ever in the history of the game played it without spamming Harm on their first and subsequent playthroughs breaking the game SOOO easily, as everyone on the codex likes to believe, nobody ever noticed.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Yah - people forget vanilla Arcanum had an xp per hit system, so you didn't get xps for hits by your team. That seriously curtailed levels unless you were prepared to grind. But since nobody ever in the history of the game played it without spamming Harm on their first and subsequent playthroughs breaking the game SOOO easily, as everyone on the codex likes to believe, nobody ever noticed.
Are you sure this is how it works? On my first playthrough of Arcanum, I played it like a Diablo Necromancer - spamming summoned monsters and making my guy avoid direct combat, never had any problems leveling.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Are you sure this is how it works? On my first playthrough of Arcanum, I played it like a Diablo Necromancer - spamming summoned monsters and making my guy avoid direct combat, never had any problems leveling.
And on my first playthrough I was on a serious mission to craft that mechanical armor - and created a strength, engineering build. Quickly getting a 20 strength and beating the hell out of everything, I thought I was invincible. Then I ran into those mountains, destroyed my weapon, then really wandered around for quite some time trying to figure out what to do. Seems... sane for a game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

MerchantKing

Learned
I like Morrowinds leveling. Very fast. Spend an in game month crafting and selling potions and then suddenly you have 100 in all skills and attributes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom