Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPGs where NPCs do their own thing.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Like others say, Ultima 7 is a peak in this area. Even at the time, it felt a decline to go then to Baldur's Gate which had night and day cycles but little variation in what npcs were doing.

Trails of the Sky and then Trails of Cold Steel games are often raised as more recent great "world builders" where npcs do their own thing. One of the mechanics used to simplify the game development process though is to "time lock" the player in particular segments of the day or night and season dependent on progression of certain elements the game being progressed, which is not to everyone's taste. The quantity (and quality) of the writing for those npcs and the progression through activity schedules often independent of what the player characters are involved in is however very impressive; farmers farm (in the appropriate season) then eat dinner in the evening, children play till they get bored then flop around or throw tantrums and refuse to go to sleep, shops open and close depending on hours, people leave town for bureaucratic meetings elsewhere etc.

The important thing here is that all of this is carefully scripted (as in writers have considered and determined what is going on) rather than being the derivation of some form of simulated agent-based activity schedule. The reality is that the latter is very hard to make plausible in any level of detail that will sufficiently appeal as being reflective of real life and not just a multiplier of Mr Homoeconomicus. It is far better (at this point in time) to still have writers plan, write and capture those specific notions of what people do mundanely, but this is obviously less efficient from a game development perspective.

Wesp5

Arcane
STALKER isn't an RPG but A-Life deserves a mention. The AI will fight bandits, mutants and roam the zone.

On that account Doom and Half-Life need a honorary mention too. While you needed to actively get enemies to fight against each other in Doom, already in Half-Life several groups of enemies were set to attack other groups on sight which made the world indeed feel much more alive than in earlier shooters...

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
ELEX NPCs are so cool and independent that most of the named exiles in the valley near the berserker city were murdered by wildlife while I was busy doing their quests.

laclongquan

Arcane
NPC has their own schedule is a burden on map data and game engine's processing. I dont believe it's possible and revelant until both codings and hardware progress more. Like 8 CPU and game codings that can make use of such power.

I think The procedure is:
loading engine.
loading save game data (or even current save data if moving between maps).
loading map data.
compare save data on NPC known and shown (example quest giver A and B).
**set variables for map data (current time and where would A and B stay at and going to move where). **
modify map data.
Show game.

That variable setting step is like apply a mod on a map~ Each time and every time you move to another map.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur
The adventures of Robin Hood from Millennium Interactive, same developers of Pathway to power. It is mixed adventure/rpg (you can't improve your stats).
You can improve your stats by use. Running improves endurance, fighting improves strength and if you spend time at archery range it will improve knock speed. You can also survive after the peasants turn on you for being a villain after killing the sheriff.

Master

Arbiter
In Arcanum a lot of npcs have routines, go to work, go to sleep, take a walk etc. Basic but still. They can also pick up stuff.

vota DC

Augur
The adventures of Robin Hood from Millennium Interactive, same developers of Pathway to power. It is mixed adventure/rpg (you can't improve your stats).
You can improve your stats by use. Running improves endurance, fighting improves strength and if you spend time at archery range it will improve knock speed. You can also survive after the peasants turn on you for being a villain after killing the sheriff.

Interesting, I thought that fighting when tired was death and you could just killing tired guards since your strength is quite low while archery range was just for raising optimism that is a good thing since a pessimist Robin sit for saying something depressing every time.

Barbalos

Savant
Radiant AI was always garbage. In the end they just do the same old shit over and over again anyway, a simple schedule system is just as good if not better. And the MMO style quests they generated were all worthless time wasting garbage. Ultima VII level was fine. But this is an area that might get better in the future as AI tech improves and gets less costly to make and run in game.

Deleted Member 16721

Daily reminder: We never actually saw Radiant A.I.. Only a very stripped down version.

madrigal

Augur
Interesting, I thought that fighting when tired was death and you could just killing tired guards since your strength is quite low while archery range was just for raising optimism that is a good thing since a pessimist Robin sit for saying something depressing every time.
Once you get dragon fire you can weaken the guards, use the ring to see their stats and then fight, or just fight for a few seconds then zap them, put on the monk hood and walk away. If you loiter around the campfire at your base, Robin will sit and regain endurance.

Training the archery, I think you have to go through three complete shots to improve. Three rounds of three and your knock speed is super fast.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I've said it before but after seeing U:VII near three decades ago I thought this'd be standard by now, innovation my arse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom