Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Neverwinter Nights – Darkness Over Daggerford

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Aeilund Saga for a more relaxing adventure
Aeilund Saga I found kind of intense (but fair) in the combat area. I wouldn't exactly call it relaxing.
I meant relaxing as in, Prophet seems like a very well written heavy story, while in Aeilund you do some adventuring and fuck a Princess, as you should in all fantasy games to be honest.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
King Crispy, assuming you've played further, how've you found the balance? I'm curious how my position on challenge measures up to the general Codex audience's.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't want to include any spoilers, but I'd almost have to in order to completely accurately answer that question.

I'll just say this: overall, I'm finding the balance pleasantly challenging, but also forgiving enough at times to give your character that sense of power. But some of the... situations you'll encounter, well, yeah. Wow.

Edit: to clarify, I play on Hardcore D&D rules, default party followers, little to no cheesing.

Gargaune

Magister
I don't want to include any spoilers, but I'd almost have to in order to completely accurately answer that question.

I'll just say this: overall, I'm finding the balance pleasantly challenging, but also forgiving enough at times to give your character that sense of power. But some of the... situations you'll encounter, well, yeah. Wow.
It's cool, cheers, just wanted to get an impression. I find this varies a fair bit from player to player and PC to PC, frankly, so I get skittish about my appraisals.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'd like to comment again on the followers that come with the campaign as-is.

I'm discovering, slowly, that there's a lot more to each of them than meets the eye. Both apparently have rather elaborate background stories, at least as far as a NWN module is concerned, anyway, and will only reveal more details the longer you adventure together. They also have rather amusing interactions between themselves occasionally which is surprising.

It is true that you have no control over their level-up choices (when you yourself level up), but I'm impressed enough with Ossian's handling of that aspect of them and their general competency in combat to not regret using them instead of custom henchmen.

Gargaune

Magister
I'd like to comment again on the followers that come with the campaign as-is.

I'm discovering, slowly, that there's a lot more to each of them than meets the eye. Both apparently have rather elaborate background stories, at least as far as a NWN module is concerned, anyway, and will only reveal more details the longer you adventure together. They also have rather amusing interactions between themselves occasionally which is surprising.

It is true that you have no control over their level-up choices (when you yourself level up), but I'm impressed enough with Ossian's handling of that aspect of them and their general competency in combat to not regret using them instead of custom henchmen.
Now I feel bad about my assessment. Guess I didn't take much note of the pair's backstories since they follow a similar structure as the OC's - talk, get a bit of story, talk again later to get the next chapter in that story - never really cared for that. But if you're enjoying it, all the better.

As for their mechanical progression, they're using standard NWN level-up packages, Fighter Commander for Raegen and Rogue Gypsy for Purfbin.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
For playing around with the OHS Henchman system, I would recommend using one of the many modules designed for multi-player. Not likely to override any henchman banter, etc. there and those are presumably balanced for multiple players as well.

Gargaune

Magister
For playing around with the OHS Henchman system, I would recommend using one of the many modules designed for multi-player. Not likely to override any henchman banter, etc. there and those are presumably balanced for multiple players as well.
What would be your top pick among those? I've actually started another OC go on a lark, OHS is right at home there but hoo boy, that campaign is... well, it lives up to its reputation.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
What would be your top pick among those? I've actually started another OC go on a lark, OHS is right at home there but hoo boy, that campaign is... well, it lives up to its reputation.

Most of the PnP conversions can be played multi-player and many would probably be suitable. The PnP conversions by thegeorge (e.g. B1-12 In Search of Adventure) and Ghool (e.g. Tomb of Horrors are usually quality work aimed at a multiplayer audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom