Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Cyberpunk 2077

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"Hello, customer support? I would like to complain about no kangmacher revio."

"What? Of course I didn't search for it first, why would I?"

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Am I glad I didn't buy this game. But then again I am one of the few on the codex who will not get blinded by hype.

According to the review:
  • Limited skillpoint system
  • Limited crafting
  • Even for being a 'rpg-game', the shooting is mediocre
  • Terrible driving
  • No consequences for the choices that you make
  • Bad Itemisation
  • And the story somehow needs to save the game
Eh, the shooting is okay, IMO. The guns are nicely designed and fun to use. Enemy AI could use some work, of course. Name me some RPGs with better shooting. Well, F4, I suppose. But there is MORE enemy hp level inflation then in CP2077. Actually the combat is rather quick paced in CP2077.

Also the skillpoint system might be "limited", but its still the best we got from CDProjekt. At least since TW1.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it more of a cRPG, though?

That's always complicated with the STALKER series. Despite not being RPGs (by their own definition), they have better RPG elements than a lot of full blown RPGs. Call of Pripyat for instance has minor C&C and reactivity from quest choices.

By design though they don't have any character development, progression is entirely based on items and equipment.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember when F4 was released, and got prises for shooting - I just played Misery mod for STALKER... it was funny to watch all this "wooden" shooting in F4.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why do CRPG-ey shooters never seem to shoot as well as dedicated fps-es? Is it just a question of allocated time and energy? (As a company they have to spend so much time on the progression/loot system and the story that they have relatively less time left over to finish and polish the shooting gameplay?)

In the ranking of CRPG-ey shooters, 2077 is pretty good, I thought, quite fluid and not feeling all that clunky. I'd agree that STALKER was better though. Russia stronk.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Why do CRPG-ey shooters never seem to shoot as well as dedicated fps-es? Is it just a question of allocated time and energy? (As a company they have to spend so much time on the progression/loot system and the story that they have relatively less time left over to finish and polish the shooting gameplay?)

its engine issue. It appears that cp77 was initially to be 3rd person, more witcher like. There was management change and suddenly 1st person ftw. Devs never had time to make it work, engine was developed in parallel to the actual game.
I guess rpg devs seem to underrate complexity of shooting mechanics?

lukaszek are you going to quietly remove this review and replace it with "deterministic system > RNG"?
its safe, got no rights to edit it.

JustMyOnion

Educated
What makes a dedicated shooter feel good rarely works with RPG elements. You can't have shooting feel impactful but at the same time have enemies survive 20 headshots because they're 10 levels above the player.
That being said, Cyberpunk feels pretty good to me with its exploding heads. But as the review said, it ends up less of an RPG and more of a god mode shooter.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
for me good rpg shooter would require:
- no aim assistance. wallhacks and so on. I can larp it partially though and understand that there are people that would rather invest in auto aiming on lvl ups
- borderlands like itemisation - bad
- F4 like itemisation - good; what i mean in here that if I see someone carrying revolver i want to know what to expect. Not some random stats to the roof. Possibly same mystery with mods included
- weapon maintenance to some extend, jamming and overheating
- weapon moding - Something like in F4 was fine with finding upgrades in the world(as opposed to getitng scope with 5 office fans and duct tape)
- basically be more on player skill side, with rpg elements unlocking options. Go gun nut route and deal better with maintenance and jamming... or just keep replacing your weapons with random finds. Can't use everything unless you invest in being extremely versatile. Can't use is wrong word... More like being very inefficient. Larger spread, recoil, taking forever to reload and so on
- no bullet sponges. Try to be creative like ammo types to penetrate armor instead. It does vary per enemy type - humans should be fragile but charging bear is different story. Still I should be able to execute every enemy with single shot. F4 on early levels survival mode felt like it.
- grenade better pack a punch.

bullet sponges without injury system is another level of laziness. It can produce weird results though. Like in F4 when you use explosives to fracture both legs on some critter and then run in circles for few minutes while unloading all your ammo. Speaking of F4, were you aware that each enemy had different weak spots that not necessarily were its head? For example deathclaws were quite resistant to headshots while their belly had multiplier. 2 headed does were weak to secondary, smaller head shots.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I've yet to see a bullet spongy enemy in CP2077. Well, I guess some mechanical bosses/mini-bosses (that resist headshots) are a little spongy. But in general stuff dies really fast, which I like.

Of course, level scaled enemies are an issue - fight something way above your level and you'll suffer. This I hate.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I've yet to see a bullet spongy enemy in CP2077. Well, I guess some mechanical bosses/mini-bosses (that resist headshots) are a little spongy. But in general stuff dies really fast, which I like.

Of course, level scaled enemies are an issue - fight something way above your level and you'll suffer. This I hate.
yeah in cp77 case i meant redskulls in here... which is large share. Some missions allow you to be crafty around them or just skip combat through sneaking, but I found rewards/xp not to be worth it.

Melee weapons allow to stagger even redskull enemies. If you manage to get 1:1 fight with redskull, generic boss enemy, you can proceed to hack for 5 mins in order to win

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Okay, wasn't an issue for me, as I rarely found enemies of higher level then mine. I mean I did wonder into city center once before hitting the "correct" level and that wasn't great (still, you're the one triggering the combat most of the time - unless you wander into a mission territory, so its not a big problem). But generally questing / wandering doings gigs and such, I've like never met overleveled enemies. The opposite was true much more often.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
yeah, main quest line is doing fine job in leading you towards correct areas. Thing is it doesnt cover everything. If you want to wander around and just try to reach interesting looking things in view/map then you will be surprised.
There are red skull areas even as you finish the game. Either oversight or someone had some bright idea

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom