Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome:Total War

Anonymous

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME KICKS ASS

Seriously. It runs extremely good on my crappy-ish system, even with medium/high graphical settings on and x4 AA and x8 AS.

AND IT JUST OWNS, it doesnt go over Medieval in my opinion, but thats because there is so much different. Medieval and Rome are like two whole different games with similiar combat gameplay (but not exact), but they are both awesome to the max.

The map mode of Rome is probably the biggest change and is really good. and the new unit ideas and designs are awesome, FLAMING PIGS. WARCRAFT DOES NOT HAVE FLAMING PIGS. WARCRAFT IS SHIT.

FLAMING PIGS.

And there are shrieking women, wardoggies, the elephants and various other cool stuff (chariots) that wernt possible in the Total War games before.

AND FLAMING PIGS.

IF YOU DONT NOT LIKE/BUY THIS GAME, YOU SUCK ASS (Probably Volourn).

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Aha! The news I'm sure I would hear.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow, hopefully, and will then disappear from this intaweb thingy until I have conquered the barbarians.

Then, of course, I'll be picking up WH40K and my life will go up in a puff of smoke. Strategy/ Tactics games are kicking the living snot out of RPGs on the PC at the moment. RPG developers should be fucking ashamed of themselves, really.

Cheers
MC

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Flaming pigs? Jesus. I'm not that far into the game yet. I'm just having fun with the Custom Battle generator right now. I sent 2 groups of elephants against 16 groups of warpuppies. Poor doggies!

Next: I'm going to have 16 groups of archers mow down a horde of peasants.

manco

Novice
waitaminute.
nobody said anything about flaming pigs!
DOOD!
Hermmm, is there any gore, to speak of, or are there simply too many bastards on screen to apply particle effects/blood sprites to?
Dang, I'm stuck on the fence now. Oh! Does Dawn of War have an Orc story mode, or is it only for space marines? That might turn the tide for me, cause I'm about sick of space marines...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
What kind of cool stuff can you do in the game? I played the demo and its just like selecting a group of guys and clicking on the enemy then it turns into a mess cause you can barely control anything cause its already being done.

Anonymous

Rome's single player is kinda cooler than the past Total Wars too, you get a general motivation for war in an intro video for each people, also you have 3 Roman factions to choose at first, but as you beat the game with them, you unlock the others, and theres two ways of doing that.

You can take the big campaign (hold and own Rome, outlast the Senate I think and hold 50 provinces) and unlock everyone when you finish it or the short campaigns (which I like), where you have to hold and control 15 provinces and destroy (or out last) a certain group, the group you have to destroy/outlast is the one unlocked.

But also, if thats annoying to anyone, there are cheats and shit that just unlock everyone.

Also another think I like about the game, is that before each battle your general guy gives a dynamic speech. Depending on a bunch of different circumstances, he'll say different sentences as part of his speech (and they are usually cool.) Also, while he is giving it it shows all the different units in your army banging their weapons and shields together and hollering and stuff.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The AI is fucking dumb. I win 100% of my battles on Hard mode because the AI doesn't know what the hell it's doing and retreats a lot, or sits there while my archers kill them. Apparently most of the people on the RTW forums are having the same issues so I hope they get fixed in a patch.

I am sticking with Dawn of War for the time being.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of times...then I met a AI general who had a shitload of starts and combat perks/traits.
Man...my poor roman legion got slaughtered by an enemy that had less and inferior troops. Seems like the AI fights better and smarter with a capable commander. He used an ambush, cicrled me with his cavelery and went in force for my general. Great battle all in all. Some of the bigger sieges are defenetily worth fighting as well!
The game has some problems (dumb AI fleet use is a big one) but I'm sure patches will rectify these. For now I'm having a really great time with it.
Flaming pigs, warhounds, chariots and friggin elephants are all bloody great. :D

GameMaster

Novice
Actually Rome: TW turned out to be just the game I was waiting for. And in these days, when industry is overcrowded with casual stuff, it is really nice to get a strategy, that combines TBS and real-time combat so perfectly. A perfect blend of empire managing and combat. One of the best strategies this year and one of the living legends of gaming industry.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm not going to touch it until it is patched. Sieges are like shooting fish in a barrel, and all of the enemy's troops simply ignore my army during sieges (though not anytime else). I don't know which idiot playtester could have missed that.

Anonymous

Flaming Pigs own, they spread panic among troops and scare off elephants, then fall over as a giant chunk of burned bacon.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I'm not going to touch it until it is patched. Sieges are like shooting fish in a barrel, and all of the enemy's troops simply ignore my army during sieges (though not anytime else). I don't know which idiot playtester could have missed that.

When doing the tutorial campaign last night, I sieged a town and was certainly met with resistance. Hopefully your experience was just a fluke (and not mine)?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The tutorial campaign is a lot more scripted than actual battles are but I'll try playing on hardest and see if that makes a difference.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I finally went out and picked up a copy, being a fan of the previous two in the series.

In the sieges I've done, most often the enemy will have 2-3 groups of people running around near the gate, and as soon as I break through the gate they're all huddled in the town center. I then surround them with my swordmen and launch flaming arrows at them until the ammo runs out. If there's anyone left, my army rushes them with little difficulty. As a result, end-of-battle statistics for sieges often come up as "Your army's kills: 386, Enemy army's kills: 8".

Also, this game severely needs a patch which lets the user adjust their mouse speed. In order to move my mouse across the screen, I have to move it, pick it up, put it down elsewhere, then move it again. Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
They should fix the problems. It's still probably the best rts ever.

Anonymous

the next patch will probably fix all the weak spots in the game, but it's still like the best game released/to be released this year.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If you want to move your mouse around the screen I find that using the arrow keys is a lot more efficient at that. It's really annoying, though, as the mouse is too slow for scrolling purposes.

As for the patch, I doubt it'll come out in less than 3-6 months, knowing CA's past record.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Best game released, in any genre, in the last eighteen months. Period.

I'm having the cursor problems, but everything else runs fine...I'm pretty amazed at how cool the graphics are on my middling rig (watch that barbarian fly in the air when my cavalry charges!).

As for sieges being easy...I'm putting it down to the learning curve of the game. In the very early stages when you are stormtrooping little Gaulish villages it's pretty easy. However, I was playing the Brutii faction and started getting stuck into phalanxes of Greek hoplites whilst besieging Sparta....it wasn't very easy at all.

Furthermore, boot up a big historical battle when the enemy you are sieging has access to artillery and decent ranged units...changes the situation significantly.

Overall? For me, a big fat 9/10 easily. Can't wait for the XP already!

Cheers
MC

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's too easy to exploit sieges. Most of the enemy just stands there while they get hit by your pwnagers. It's kind of sad.

kris

Arcane
Monte Carlo said:
Best game released, in any genre, in the last eighteen months. Period.

Overrate squad is here. ;)

I truly enjoyed it at first, but the mentioned AI problems are truly in the way for it to be great.

The battles are the high point of the game, but those get less fun as you find more and more exploits. Also when you realise that Cavalry is the only troop you need it gets even more so. a problem with harder difficult settings seems to be that you can't win battles on autocalculate and therefore have to fight trough most of it and some battler can be really boring.

the campaign map is much improved from the earlier games, but also there we have an silly AI who after several games only once took a city from me and that was trough bribing... bribing is also overpowered and something that easily can be used to win when you take some rich cities.

All in all it was a very enjoyable game tough and had a nice cinematic feel over it. Don't know if I will go back to it with some patch as it lost it's charm a bit to fast.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The game's horrible AI prevents me from playing it until they release a patch. I'll likely get Battle for Middle Earth, which just went gold, to fill in the space.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Strangely enough, i find myself agreeing with exitium, theirs so much great work gone into R:TW its a shame that one failing, bad AI, totaly counters all the good. I played it straight for about a month and got some enjoyment out of it but i wont be touching it again until the AI is fixed, campaign AI is crap period, battle AI isnt much better and is particularly bad in sieges. A month might sound like value for money but i was still playing M:TW 2 years after i bought it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom