Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Relatively recent eye-candy games that're good as games?

deuxhero

Arcane
Having finally upgraded my new machine's GPU (well it's in mail) from the old one's 4GB RX 480, and likely updating to a new display in the not so distant future, I'm left wondering: What games have there been in the last 4/5 year that actually take advantage of my upgrade, are worth playing on their own merit, prominently feature living creatures (vehicles are easy mode for graphics), and actually need the new GPU for reasons other than "programmed by idiots"? New card is a 6700 xt, current display is 1080 and any replacement isn't likely to be more than 1440p.

Edit: Apparently it was an 8 GB RX 480 the whole time. No idea why I thought it was 4. I've already played KCD on it.

Last edited:
Metro Exodus - very surprisingly good FPS with cutting edge graphics. Earlier games in the series were very linear, but Exodus is pseudo open world-ish, and combines really nice story-telling with decent gameplay.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - excellent RPG about medieval Europe with outstanding graphics. For best results, play on Hardcore mode with mod suggestions from the Codex review.
Cyberpunk 2077 - outstanding latest graphics combined with a decent game after all the patches.
Witcher 3 - This one is older than your time frame (from 2015), but it recently got a graphical upgrade patch, and dialed up to max graphics, one of the most beautiful games ever made. For best results, play with Enemies of Rivia mod.

Lemming42

Arcane
Metro Exodus looks good with RTX if your new card has that.

Otherwise the main advantage of your new rig is that you can run games that look like shit but nonetheless have inexplicably high system requirements. Gears Tactics is a good game which requires a fucking supercomputer to run (or did at release, anyway).

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Turns out modern games look like shit, play like shit, and are shit

Path of Exile 2 is coming out soon™, which looks visually impressive for what it is, and hopefully will be good until it gradually turns to shit

Iucounu

Educated
ARK: Survival Evolved was pretty demanding, thanks to its huge areas, high quality graphics and lots of animal species with unique and varied AI.

ARK: Survival Ascended is basically the same game upgraded for Unreal Engine 5, it seems to be even more demanding (and likely janky):

mastroego

Arcane
Having finally upgraded my new machine's GPU (well it's in mail) from the old one's 4GB RX 480, and likely updating to a new display in the not so distant future, I'm left wondering: What games have there been in the last 4/5 year that actually take advantage of my upgrade, are worth playing on their own merit, prominently feature living creatures (vehicles are easy mode for graphics), and actually need the new GPU for reasons other than "programmed by idiots"? New card is a 6700 xt, current display is 1080 and any replacement isn't likely to be more than 1440p.

Well for similar reasons I tried Control recently.
Gameplay wise it's decent. There are other issues of course.

jaekl

Learned
Patron

Lemming42

Arcane
There is also a Dark Elf character who only joins if you do not side with the Druid refugees camp early on.
Making Minthara exclusive to the "evil route"* is one of the biggest mistakes they made with that game IMO. She's great, one hundred thousand times better than Halsin, and provides a nice counterbalance to the cartoonishness and special snowflakery of the other companions. But the overwhelming majority of players will obviously choose to defend the grove given that you have no reason whatsoever to side with the Goblins unless you're LARPing as a dumb psychopath, which most people save for a second playthrough. She doesn't even make sense as a companion exclusive to an evil player because she herself isn't really evil, I don't get what they were thinking.

*I know about the other way to get her but who the hell is going to ignore the massively-telegraphed grove quest and walk straight to Act 2

Halsin, meanwhile, is absolute balls. He sucks and there's nothing positive to say about him. The actor does his best but the character just blows. So most people miss out on one of the best (and least "cringey") companions in the game, and end up with total deadweight in her place.

Thread tax: yes, BG3 looks pretty good on max settings. You can also probably run AssCreed Odyssey at max without it shitting itself, fun game if you want to mindlessly drift around getting into increasingly ludicrous swordfights for a hundred and fifty hours.

Falksi

Arcane
Persona 5 Royal is the last game to wow me artistically and be enjoyable to play too. Some of the environments in Bards Tale 4 are pretty lush as well, but I wouldn't exactly call it "eye candy" either.

But yeah, most modern games which look great play shit.

Terenty

Liturgist
Atomic Heart for sure. Great graphics, top notch art direction, good gameplay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom