Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Read a review of Operation Flashpoint II in PCgameplay.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
baronjohn said:
BlitzKitchen said:
the stuff that is done wrong in ArmaII can be modded
Well that's the theory anyway.

Clearly you've never tried though.

The truth is that the editor is incredibly unfriendly and for anything more than setting a fucking waypoint, you need to use an obscure proprietary scripting engine that takes every good programming language idea ever, and anally rapes it to death. There's also almost no documentation on it.

So good luck with them mods there duder.

You know how I know you're retarded? Scripting in ofp/arma is easy. I'm not even tech savvy.

baronjohn said:
why do you think ArmAII is bad baronjohn?

Well how about the small fact that it has more bugs than a fucking rain forest, that BIS keeps making more and more mistakes, even bringing back all the bugs that they fixed with patches in the previous game, that the campaign is absolutely fucking worthless, that multiplayer consists of retarded 10 year old latvians playing Evolution all day, or that the game is just a much shittier version of OFP with new graphics DO I NEED TO GO ON?

Blah blah blah. Bugs can be modded out. Engine limitations can't. THat's my point. ArmaII can be modded to perfection while OFPII will always be a steaming poop pile.

Dmitron

Arbiter
What OFP2 has going for it is a large publisher backing a new engine free of the technical limitations and oddities present in OFP\ArmA. If they fail on that front and don't open the engine completely for modding then it's clearly "worse" than BIS's effort. More tactical shooters is never a bad thing unless being miserable is your MO.

baronjohn said:
The truth is that the editor is incredibly unfriendly and for anything more than setting a fucking waypoint, you need to use an obscure proprietary scripting engine that takes every good programming language idea ever, and anally rapes it to death. There's also almost no documentation on it.

So good luck with them mods there duder.

Damn Baronjohn..

Way to go loosing all credibility in this matter and marking yourself as a blatant troll. :\

The mission editor is painfully easy.

baronjohn said:
There's also almost no documentation on it.

Strange then that everything regarding BIS games is documented to the hilt?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Mission_Editor
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Cate ... g_Commands

If you've never created on the fly place-some-units-and-play missions then you've completely missed the boat regarding OFP\ArmA.

baronjohn

Cipher
Popping in some units and waypoints isn't a mission you fucking moron. You need heavy scripting to mask the completely idiotic AI.

Also, that documentation is for ArmA 1

THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION FOR ARMA 2. EVEN THE PLAYER MANUAL SUCKS

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
if it's hard for you, get a player made script editor when they come out.

otherwise, just sit back, suck some dick and chill. everything's alright.

Dmitron

Arbiter
baronjohn said:
Popping in some units and waypoints isn't a mission you fucking moron. You need heavy scripting to mask the completely idiotic AI.
:lol:
The AI usually isn't scripted much beyond waypoints and certain situations where specific things are needed. No scripting involved with combat.

This is why you're able to create a ton of interesting situations simply be dropping units in and assigning them waypoints.

Because unlike 90% of other games, they're not scripted.

They use internal routines that determine their behavior.

This is also occasionally why they do weird things, and occasionally why they do unexpected awesome things. Both a by product of the lack of scripting.

baronjohn said:
Also, that documentation is for ArmA 1
The mission editor hasn't changed in ArmA 2, it all still applies.

However, modules are a new addition, and they are all detailed here:
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Cate ... or_Modules

baronjohn said:
THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION FOR ARMA 2.
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA ... s_and_Tips
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Cate ... 2:_Editing

baronjohn said:
baronjohn

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
and it's just a generic next gen shooter and not comparable to ArmAII.

the latter is an open world sim with endless possibilities.

in before ArmAII lego mod.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Since I'm tactical shooter fan, I will be making comparisons to OFP\ArmA, though to be honest this is unfair because Dragon Rising doesn't feel much like either of those games.

Played only in "hardcore" mode, didn't bother with lower difficult settings.

This is just an initial opinion after about 1 hours worth of SP missions and about an hour messing about in the editor:

+ AI teammates decent
+ AI teammates interface intuitive, though I rarely used it since I found myself handling the enemy AI with ease
+ General polish of a major publisher, good voice overs, engine stable

- No dread. If you've know OFP\ArmA you'll know that one wrong move could mean death. There's none of that hear. I hardly bothered crouching or going prone, no need.
- Incredibly easy on the highest difficulty setting, I cannot actually recall being hit even though I was barely concentrating and basically running straight for enemy positions, didn't die once during the first two missions. Of course I need to play more of the campaign..not a good sign though.
- Graphics average to bad, sepia in tone, washed out blurry textures, extreme blur at a distance, bloom galore. ArmA 2 has them beat in this department..which is surprising. I really expected the big publisher polish to destroy BIS in this regard.

I think casual FPS fans who haven't heard of ArmA or understand it's connection to OFP will enjoy this.

Feels like an arcadey version of Ghost Recon. The somewhat reduced visual range..maybe 1km? I didn't see anywhere to alter the viewdistance, graphics settings are sparse. Need to look into this properly.

I personally enjoy the "head on shoulders" feel of OFP\ArmA, where for example you can lie prone and look about using the 'alt' key. Here that is gone, replaced with your typical shooter view.

Player movement bog standard FPS. Many players hate OFP\ArmA's clunky system, I am sure the standardised movement will please them.

No lean..

Nice looking mission editor application. Runs externally, unlike ArmA's in game editor.
It works on the same principles. I used it to preview all the weapons and units.

Helicopter flight model piss poor in comparison to ArmA's somewhat decent balance between sim and accessibility. This is a deal breaker for me. I LOVE flying helicopters in ArmA, it's almost a game unto itself. No flyable planes, though ArmA's planes weren't that great to begin with.

Good vehicular physics.

Terrain seems to feature the exact same clutter grass uniformly applied across the entire surface, except on roads or in towns.

Surprising that in places they mimic the rough edges present in BIS's Arma engine. For instance getting into vehicles is also an instant teleport into position as with ArmA. Crashing a helicopter also means the occasionally flip onto your nose with the rotors happily spinning away. I thought major publishers had funding to avoid this shit?

I do like the effort put into the teammate interface interface, and the modern responsive feel of the AI teammates - wish that was in ArmA.
God only knows why BIS centred ArmA 2's campaign on the single worst feature of their engine, clunky ai teammates. Casual players who don't MP coop, who don't delve deeper than SP campaigns, will make the comparison immediately and likely judge Dragon Rising to be a better on this fact alone.

..Dragon Rising has no dedicated server. I'm guessing this means no massive ongoing coop missions (think Evolution for ArmA). Very bad..

Bottom line:

I don't feel any special need to play this. Far as major FPS releases go, I'd rather play the arcadey Battlefield Bad Company 2 when that's released. I guess in certain places it's an improvement..but it's not a sea change. I'm not sure I'd swap uncompromising coop for better interface icons and good teammate AI. Everything looks really washed out and the environment is sterile. This game hasn't made ArmA obsolete, not by a long shot.

Bland and "consoled" in this unmodded state, and certainly not the tough shooter I was looking for.

baronjohn

Cipher
I'm halfway done with the campaign. I'd be futher along but I went back to playing Call of Pripyat.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
how are the environment damage models? I'm going to assume Arma2 has it beat there too.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
baronjohn said:
I'm halfway done with the campaign. I'd be futher along but I went back to playing Call of Pripyat.

Huh...wha? Are you from the future?

Nevermind...didn't realize CoP was released already in the CIS :?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh but you can turn off visual retard helpers and it will be HARDKKKORE. Back in the day even most primitive arcade shooters didn't have a compass stuck on the screen with red icons showing where enemies are - talk about hugeass decline. Bah I think that even some console shooters have a must like lean. But honestly did anyone really expect this game to turn out to be something else?

entertainer said:
we need skyway review now that its out :lol:

No way I'm going to suffer through 6 hours that this game lasts. I'd better fire up OFP1 and roll to CIA server and play a proper good ol' OFP experience. Or play some of those OFP fanmade missions. But otherwise my review won't be credible because I "haven't played it enough" aka didn't find more tasty stuff to bitch about that I'm sure is there as modern shooters tend to have all the best content in the beginning and total suckage later, it's like a rule today

baronjohn

Cipher
It's a pretty fun game, but they shouldn't have called it OFP if they couldn't deliver.

Suchy

Arcane
some dumbfuck said:
i got arma 2 and thats to realistic for my taste, i dont want to use most of my time flying choppers or running back and forward, yes i know mods has teleporters, but still alot of running and ****. OFP2: DR has running but not much, the good side is maps are alot smaller so chances are you will run into something.

baronjohn

Cipher
He's right, though. Have you played the ArmA 2 campaign?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom