Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rant: Why Fantasy RPGs Suck

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think the reason why I am absolutely hyped by the Witcher is due to the devs smashing away the 'generic' fantasy setting of pretty elves and grumpy dwarves.

It's a refreshing change. I'm pretty much tired of fantasy that involves rescuing princess and branded as evil for asking for more gold. That and shallow personalities that accompanies the main hero. Oh, they burned my village, they will pay. Yawn.

JuJu

Novice
IMO the biggest flaw of generic fantasy setting is lack of difference among creatures of one race. Well there are usually emo kids from every race, but where are bodybuilding elves, bulimic dwarfs, high elf berserkers and nerdy orcs, who try to gain respect by killing you. Well it would suffice to see non-gay elf or non-emo drow.
The problem developing a generic fantasy game is that it is much harder to come up with new ideas when you have to follow so many stereotypes.

Nog Robbin said:
I wonder how well a new RPG would sell if you genuinely did have "foozles" to kill, a faction called "fed-ex" to join, and miscellaneous "widgets" and "thingies" to trade in?
Of course, to keep the challenge, the foozles could all have name prefixes or suffixes, but essentially be the same creature.

Actually it sounds like a great idea for a parody RPG. Foozle the Pillager has destroyed your small village, and with his dying breath your uncle reveals, that he is actually a powerful mage, and you are the chosen one, so you must become champion of Fed-Ex in order to save world and kill Foozle the Destroyer of Worlds, which is identical to every other Foozle. If all quests would either be to kill Foozle the [insert evil name here] or go get [insert item here], but the solutions would be non-linear and offered more c&c than all the modern RPG's it would rock.
Oh and Foozle the Destroyer of Worlds is actually your mom...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom