Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Quasimorph - dark turn-based extraction RPG - now available on Early Access

Takamori

Learned
hunger system
the hunger system makes 0 world or gameplay sense in Quasimorph and it would be no loss to remove it completely
Lorewise the devs said the clones have giga metabolism. Thats how they heal bullet wounds pretty fast and thats why they eat non stop. With the new balance I noticed the hunger didnt go as fast thankfully previously you had to kill and basically consume your enemies while in combat depending on your carry weight.

Machocruz

Arcane
This game has been calling to me for a couple months now, and after I played a "demo" version while out on my boat I couldn't hold off any longer. I was already completely sold on the concept and aesthetic, but it's even more addicting than I imagined. I love this kind of lethal, methodical, meaty gun combat, and I've been looking for a good, grim future, top-down, non-arcadey shooter for a while. Already looked like a near-perfect match from screens and videos, and the game almost completely delivers.

The slice I played first was from October, and it had little in the way of instruction or explanation. I lost my first character rather quickly and wound up having to go into missions naked, with predictable results. I read stealth was the way to go in that situation, but made the mistake of trying to do defense missions a few times, where everyone zeroes in on your location almost immediately (didn't understand mission types yet). Then I had a few better runs where I was able to get an early melee weapon, catch people sleeping and gradually gear up with proper armor, guns, and items. Almost even completed a mission until I got heavily injured, tried sprinting away from a big quasimorph while trying to use healing items, but not knowing you can't do that while in sprint. Lost all health and died thinking I had contracted some kind of status effect that disables inventory lel.

The most recent version is quite different. There is an opening story mission instead of a basic tutorial, and more guidance over all. There's more moons. Rarely do I catch enemies sleeping (almost everyone was asleep while sneaking on the older version). There are now specific barter items to trade in instead of the normal gear and consumables. You start off with quite a bit of gear already in your cargo. There's now a difficulty rating listed for each mission.

This has potential to be a dream game to me, they just need to flesh it out and polish it up.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

Dev Q&A is Here!
Hello, Mercenaries!
Not long ago, we were collecting questions for our first Q&A session. It's time to answer them and also talk about our upcoming plans.

So, let's get started!

Q: Are modular weapon and armor upgrades planned?
A: There will be the ability to upgrade weapons, armor, modify classes, operatives themselves, and augmentations a little later.

But it's not quite a modular system, and it seems to me it turns out to be slightly more flexible for the player. Most likely, properties can also be transferred from one weapon to another.

As with many systems, we're not looking for easy ways out, and it doesn't always turn out perfectly right away, but we try to improve and optimize new systems based on user feedback. So let's see the players' reaction and draw conclusions.

Q: What is your favorite class/build?
A: For the team, the most exciting thing is to see your build options. All the existing systems in the game are supposed to be like a constructor where it's interesting to look for cool, weird, or just funny combinations. With the addition of future mechanics, classes, and tools for customizing classes and operatives, there will be even more such combinations.

Q: Is official mod support and Steam Workshop planned to be added?
A: Yes, we plan to gradually provide opportunities for the community to mod the game. Supporting this whole system is a labor-intensive task, so in terms of priorities, it's slightly lower than all our planned game features. But once we finish with the core part of the game, we'll supplement this entire system, and then I think we'll not only enable access to the Steam Workshop but also try to provide additional tools that we use ourselves in game development.

Workshop support will be added before the game exits Early Access, but after most of the key mechanics are implemented in the game. Gradually, the functionality available for modifications will increase and expand.

Q: Do you plan to further expand the available planets of the Solar System beyond Mars? Do you plan to add new bramfatures?
A: Yes, the entire Solar System should appear in the game and become accessible, including bramfaturas. At the moment, we're just running into the volumes of this new content that require time to add to the game.

Q: Do you plan to increase the number of locations available in orbits of already accessible planets?
A: There are currently no such plans. In one of the recent updates, we added new satellites, significantly expanding the number of stations, but there haven't been any new plans for increasing the number of locations.

Q: The roadmap mentions "mission mutators." What are they, and how will they work? Will it be possible to influence these mutators through sabotage or other interactions?
A: "Mission mutators" will affect mission conditions. It is assumed that this will contribute to a better understanding of what exactly the player will have to face during the mission and react to it, prepare for it, adapt. But we haven't discussed any separate gameplay systems that could allow the player, at the mission preparation level, to cancel or change the action of the mutator.

Q: Will co-op be possible in the future?
A: We would like to, but no. It won't be possible to add multiplayer mode within Quasimorph.

Q: Will there be difficulty without emergency crates? Or any other way to increase the difficulty of the game? Will there be sandbox-like settings as in other games?
A: Yes, we plan to add world difficulty settings in the future. This will allow both a more hardcore gaming experience for those who find it too easy and to simplify the game for those who find it unfairly difficult.

Q: Will there be a combat log and quest log?
A: Both are planned for the future.

Q: When can we expect achievements on Steam?
A: Achievements will appear closer to the game's exit from Early Access.

Q: Can we expect more story missions in the future?
A: Story missions will appear along with major quarterly updates.

Q: When can we expect the next update? What are the plans for the near future?
A: We plan to release a QoL patch in a week or two, which will bring a bunch of useful stuff that will make the game more convenient. Then you can expect an important patch with Magnum modification mechanics. Next, we plan a major quarterly patch, but the release date may shift, so we'll tell you more about it closer to the time.

Q: When will the game be released?
A: I hope the game will be released according to the roadmap schedule.
But I would take into account that usually in development, there is always a shift in deadlines for a later time.
I optimistically think that we'll need another six months after the end of the roadmap to polish and finalize the state of the game.

Q: Is further barter rework planned?
A: The barter mechanics were reworked in the 0.6 version; it still requires polishing and balancing, but in general, it will remain the same. Currently, we are discussing possibilities to simplify rewards for missions and bartering with factions. The main idea is to make this process more convenient for the player, possibly completely or partially abandoning randomness.

Q: Why can't all items be traded now?
A: More options for trading with stations will appear in the future, but the main idea is not to take it to the absurd and not to create simple mechanisms for abusing the game system. Think of it this way: if an item can be crafted in makeshift conditions on board the Magnum, why would it be needed at a fully equipped specialized space station?

Q: Can your composer tell us more about what instruments are used in the soundtrack?
A: For the recording, two guitars were used - a six-string and a seven-string, as well as a MIDI keyboard. The number of tracks varies, usually from 10 to 15. Simple and straightforward!

Q: Can you provide more details about the upcoming Magnum modification mechanics?
A: Ship customization will include 6 large ship compartments. Each of these compartments will have 3 key upgrades, each with some built-in mechanics: active abilities, passive abilities, or applying additional properties to existing game mechanics. Plus, there will be 10 to 15 minor upgrades that will enhance the properties of these three basic upgrades.

Q: What will class customization look like in the future? Will we be creating custom classes in-game, or will there be a separate menu for creating our own class with a backstory?
A: The module responsible for this will be called the Memory Deconstructor. Essentially, we'll be improving the classes that already exist in the game: based on them, you can create your custom classes. You'll be able to replace individual perks in classes you're familiar with with perks from other classes. This will significantly increase the combinatorics and variations of builds.

Q: Will we be able to individually choose perks, or will there be restrictions on them?
A: There will be certain restrictions. They are related to the fact that each class has a limited number of trigger perks and passive perks, and this, in fact, will be preserved. Each class has 3 passive perks and 3 trigger perks. In our custom class, this proportion should be maintained.

Q: What new factions can we expect in the future?
A: New factions will be added, that's 100%. We have a long list of both minor corporations and hexarch corporations that are currently outside the scope of the narrative. Within the idea we're trying to develop within Quasimorph, we're trying to achieve that the player creates situations themselves. It's quite possible that some of the existing quasi-morphic factions may become more independent or new ones may appear, influenced by the player in such a way that they too break into reality. I won't reveal all the cards right now, but I'll say this: the level of madness will be maintained.

Q: Can a person invade the realm of Quasimorphs? Maybe we can experience an ecollapse in their world, as they do with us?
A: Yes, it's possible! This was in the Demo version of Quasimorph. Technically, it's possible, but it requires fairly rare and complex scientific equipment. Specifically, the Ecollapse is a method of movement used by Quasimorphs. So a person doesn't necessarily have to emerge from some Quasimorph to end up in a bramfatura. The mechanics will be different, but the technical process of this procedure and the backstory of the main game can be seen in the demo version of Quasimorph. Unfortunately, it's not currently available for free download from Steam. But it's available to buyers of the game's support edition. In any case, stay tuned to the news SBN. Who knows, maybe we're in for a new scientific breakthrough?

Q: Enemy action points. Was there an idea to show action points above the enemy's head? For example, in the form of barely noticeable dots or other signs.
A: Some additional information like the number of moves, hit chances, and possibly something else will be part of the augmentation. But this doesn't eliminate the risk of losing a clone with all these trendy cyber eyes.

Q: Are there any planned changes to the roadmap?
A: There are no planned major changes to the roadmap, but fixes or improvements to the mechanics that have already been added are possible. In addition, we tend to think that it would be better to cut large parts into several pieces to make it easier to implement new mechanics and work on player feedback and balance.

Q: Post-release support. Is there planned post-release support for the game in the form of patches, content updates, or DLC?
A: The main plans and tasks at the time of exiting Early Access are modding tools, achievements, and porting the game to other platforms. DLC seems like a tempting opportunity, but after release, personally, I would like to work on some other game in a different setting and possibly in a genre different from Quasimorph. Let's see what comes out of it. In any case, it's too early to talk about it. Let's get to the release first

Q: Is controller support planned?
A: Controller support will definitely be added, but closer to release. We'll revisit this question later, but it's on the roadmap.

Q: Have you considered adding exclusive contracts where we can only work with one corporation? Is it planned to allow players to create their own corporation?
A: A proxy-corporation mechanic is planned, but it doesn't imply a full transition of PMCs to corporation status; most likely, it'll be some limited tools for influencing the goods market. Overall, we weren't keen on shifting the game towards an economic simulator where we simply manage some corporation. Let's be honest - that already sounds like a completely different game.

Q: In terms of gameplay, it's not entirely clear, and sometimes not even obvious, what actions of missions are responsible for sabotage, espionage, elimination, capture, defense - and how much they affect the enemy and friendly company. Will we have the opportunity to get more information about these mechanics?
A: Yes, we will. We plan to add a window with mission results information. This element will be more informative, showing changes in faction parameters and items received by the player as a reward.

Q: Will upcoming planets highlighted in red be a permanent source of missions, like the existing trio, or will they only have storyline missions?
A: All new locations will function similarly to those already in the game.

Q: Will there be a possibility to play as a full-fledged quasimorph in the future? Like our operatives, but with corresponding traits and classes.
A: We've discussed a similar question, currently pondering what classes quasimorphs should possess. What talents should they have? And similar questions. If we answer these questions, then we'll try to add them to the game. So we're thinking in that direction, but we're not promising anything yet.

Q: Will there be Forces of Light?
A: Oh... I don't think so, friends. I don't think so.

Q: What games inspire you when creating Quasimorph? Do you have an ideal example in the same genre?
A: All sorts, honestly. In all games, especially of a similar genre, there are good and not-so-good solutions. We try to somehow look at what other developers offer and how they solve similar problems we encounter. The list of such games is very long: Stoneshard, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Project Zomboid, and so on. A lot of different games! And because they are interesting to us as players, we see things in them that we like, and based on that, we make decisions about developing our own game.

Not all questions and answers made it into this post, but we've prepared a video in which Sergey reads and answers your questions. The video is in Russian, but we've also prepared English subtitles
:steamthumbsup:

Thanks a lot to everyone who asked us their questions! We hope we've covered the hottest ones. And if not - come visit us on Discord!

Good luck in battle!
Best regards, Magnum Scriptum Team.

Machocruz

Arcane
Sounds great, they seem to understand what they need to do for this game. Definitely makes me think of CDDA at times. I'm putting my main save game on the shelf after 50 hours of play. Into the harder missions against max power corporations and it can be a slog, especially on 4 floor stations with quasimorphic presence. Lots of guys in armor that require the harder to come by ammo types. Guns breaking down and not coming across repair kits at all. Nearly impossible for rookie level clones to survive, and I'm afraid to risk my higher level guys for seemingly little return or "story" advancement. Dwindling supply of quasi' reducing items and the meds to relieve addictions to said items. Getting mostly trash rewards from trading with corps I have high relations with.

Started a new save for doing naked-with-knife runs because of the dearth of missions against lower power corpos now on my main save. Lots of fun to go in in my underwear and scavenge to survive. Gives more value and satisfaction to loot and requires me to play more thoughtfully.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom