Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proving Calis right (and responding to DU)...

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
You're talking about a guy who was misty-eyed when "evil treasonous hijackers" took over something he held so dear. Melodrama is appropriate.

I personally don't see a problem with him just working on AoD. He had too much on his plate with: solely active admin (and moderation), sole news-poster, sole content writer, casual posts, work, wife, and AoD. He clearly can't handle all of it. I say he sticks with wife/work/AoD/casual posting, though naturally his "hivemind overlord" post count says otherwise. In that order, of course.

EDIT: P.S. Off to work again. Feel free to take as many shots as possible without any hope of reprisal with me to return only to find the thread locked. *pant* /runon

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sovard said:
HE ONLY HELPED THE CODEX TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT.
LIKE WHAT AND WHY WE ARE SHOUTING?!!!!

He now has connections within the industry. He would not have had any of that without the Codex. He owes us, in fact.
Explain this one to me. The "without the Codex" part. My connections were developed independently from the Codex and used to benefit the Codex.

He, on the other hand, DEMANDS respect...
Where?

If he had thought for a second that you were not an absolute ass kisser for him, he would have banned you. No doubt about it.
Yeah. I loved all those wonderful "FUCK YOU!!!!" and "I wish I could kill you!" posts he made. He's such an ass kisser.

If VD didn't care about his admin status, he would contribute content/news regardless of his status. It's as simple as that.
Admin powers are merely means to an end. It offers nothing else. You attempts to present it as some kind of kingship are stupid. It's not. It means and offers you nothing but hard work. There is no glory in it and that's what you keep failing to understand, seeing it as a reward and ascension.

xedoc gpr said:
Oh, shut up about the stupid not caring about admin/returning to news posts stuff. Nobody wants to be "forced" to return as a peasant where they were once a ruler, it'd be humiliating and embarrassing each time he posted.
Same applies. I have no problems posting here and I don't see regular posters as peasants - that's ridiculous, and I don't see admins as godlike rulers. Again, and again, and again. If being an admin here would have been so unbelievably awesome, Saint, Spazmo, and Role-Player would still be here, enjoying the godlike status.

Astromarine used to be a Codex admin. Did you know that? He still posts here, as a mere mortal. Same goes for Whipporowill - another former admin. Same goes for Rosh, an NMA admin who stepped down too. Only an idiot - no offense here - would see admin status as a promotion and elevation above "peasants".

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sovard said:
You're talking about a guy who was misty-eyed when "evil treasonous hijackers" took over something he held so dear. Melodrama is appropriate.
You are a moron, Sovard. A few hours before the hijacking, I posted that interview. Allow me to educate you about how such things work. After an interview is posted, the links are provided to developers, PR folks, and publishers. Getting an interview is hard work. Sometimes it takes me weeks and even months to arrange an interview and get all necessary approval. What do you think Atari people thought when they clicked on that link and saw that mess. You don't know? Well, I do. Fuck Atari? Sure. That means fuck all DnD related interviews. That's how this shit works. So, while for you it's good fun and lulz for me it's a year or so of work, trying to establish the Codex as a site worth dealing with, gone down the drain in 5 minutes.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I wasn't saying it was the difference in power that counted, I was saying it was the ungraceful fall from admin powers that would be unpleasant. The principle of the whole thing. After all this drama, to accept it and return as a news poster in a small cage set up for you would be somewhat pathetic.

spacemoose

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
for me it's a year or so of work, trying to establish the Codex as a site worth dealing with, gone down the drain in 5 minutes.
your sinister motives revealed!

anyhow, now that GD is in corporate-safe mode, I'm sure the big names will find it easier to take the codex seriously. maybe we can make koby a mod of GD too? I'm sure he'll moderate it into military parade-worthy shape in no time. \o

vrok

Liturgist
The front page design/graphics/color theme is still complete shit though. That still makes it hard for even me to take this site seriously if I wouldn't know what goes on behind the scenes, and it always surprises me when a developer posts here (the forums look decent though, Rex was at least good at that) because of it.

The revolution of the Codex (regardless of a nazi or old-school outcome) deserves a new design!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:
for me it's a year or so of work, trying to establish the Codex as a site worth dealing with, gone down the drain in 5 minutes.
your sinister motives revealed!

anyhow, now that GD is in corporate-safe mode, I'm sure the big names will find it easier to take the codex seriously. hooray!!

Wow, how great is that. But who do you think will take the job of arranging interviews and establishing relations with the devs and publishers?

Even though I'm a newsposter now, and even willing to do it, I have no experience at all in that regard and it's a lot of work and I still have school to do. And I don't know who else would be ready to take that job. Yes, great indeed, the big names will see the Codex in a more serious light now, but there's nobody to establish real contact with them. Wow.

Jora

Arcane
SlyDrak said:
I think that says it all really, you invested way too much on an internet forum.
I for one appreciate the fact that the Codex offers good interviews and such in addition to the monthly "This is how I think RPG quests should be structured" topics that get five replies max. Who knows, well done interviews might lead to the Codex getting review or preview copies and other cool shit.

Calis

Pensionado
Vault Dweller said:
Which is why I said that when we ban idiots we ban all their idiotic supporters as well. Good arguments explaining why someone shouldn't have banned should be encouraged.
Disagree.
Vault Dweller said:
Well, obviously it's much easier to tolerate some shit when one shows up once a week.
Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't lurk. I'm the "long-time lurker" with the reg date to back up his claims. :D
I tried to get away from that, but failed.
Vault Dweller said:
Again. I didn't ask to give me free reign. I asked you to support me (if you agree with my definition of the problem) and stand with me, restoring the forums where they once were. If you disagree, which you did, then you're better off without me as having admins pulling into different directions and undermining each other is bad for the site. Simple as that. No personal drama. I sincerely hope that you are right and that you can improve the site with a more liberal approach.
Ok, in that case we can close this chapter. I agree somewhat with the definition of the problem, I agree that living in the past and adhering to the good olden days-rules is not a good idea, but I don't agree that a crackdown where any kind of stupidity, insensitivity, and whatnot is punished, is a good idea.

Vault Dweller said:
Discuss where and how? I was discussing it with you via emails. You stopped responding at some point and never offered me your position, even though I asked for it. I stated that starting with a ban would be too extreme and that warning "the usual suspects" would be a better idea. Is that not a willingness to discuss rationally? Come on, Calis.
Fair enough. I was making up my mind on exact policy, but I don't think I was all *that* unclear in that I thought a dumbfuck-crackdown with direct subjective judgement of a poster's quality, no matter if you warn or ban based on those criteria, was not the way to go about it. I'd rather have some kind of, any kind of, definition of policy. I'd also like a less in-the-trenches approach to forum moderation. Note that this is not the same as a forgiving or liberal approach to forum moderation.

Anyway, we can safely say that this chapter's closed now, right? I'm pouring myself a glass of Scotch now and propose a toast to Vault Dweller, our former UberSturmFuhrer. I sincerely hope my idea of what this'll do for forum moderation policy is worth the loss of our editor-in-chief.
:salute:

JarlFrank said:
Wow, how great is that. But who do you think will take the job of arranging interviews and establishing relations with the devs and publishers?
Good question. I do have a bunch of experience in that regard, but I haven't actually done anything in that area since pretty much before the Codex was founded (and I'm pretty sure it'd be better to have someone do it who, y'know, actually plays CRPG's). Will get back to you on this.

Vault Dweller

Developer
SlyDrak said:
I think that says it all really, you invested way too much on an internet forum.
My fault, I know. We need people who don't really give a shit.

JarlFrank said:

Even though I'm a newsposter now, and even willing to do it, I have no experience at all in that regard and it's a lot of work and I still have school to do. And I don't know who else would be ready to take that job. Yes, great indeed, the big names will see the Codex in a more serious light now, but there's nobody to establish real contact with them. Wow.
First, talk to me whenever you need anything. I'll be more than happy to help. Second, establishing contacts isn't hard. Anyone can do, but it takes time and persistance, that's all.

Jora said:
SlyDrak said:
I for one appreciate the fact that the Codex offers good interviews and such in addition to the monthly "This is how I think RPG quests should be structured" topics that get five replies max. Who knows, well done interviews might lead to the Codex getting review or preview copies and other cool shit.
We're starting to get that. Tom Ohle offered me a review copy of The Witcher. I declined because I'd already bought it, but I'll check with him to see if the offer still available for the new guys.

Cassidy

Arcane
Jora said:
monthly "This is how I think RPG quests should be structured" topics that get five replies max.

While "Unban TNP" is an epic thread with 280 replies and 11193 views. It seems like most people encourage these types of threads over serious ones to the point most serious ones never get the same coverage by users than the "LULZ" and then people go complaining there is an excess of LULZ while RPG discussions are more and more lacking of replies to add drama. And unconsciously or not, many Codexers are promoting these threads because some of them apparently seem ridiculously "popular" subjects to "discuss".*

*Not that I question the "brilliance" of stickied classics of that category like the MHD.

Once a RPG discussion hits 25 pages while a "Generic LULZ about Liberals/Truthers/Muslims" hits 5, you can be sure things have changed.

*Edit: I'm glad to be wrong here, heh. "The Witcher - Reactions?" thread got 883 replies and 71049 views as of this edit, so things aren't so hopeless as it seems and LULZ isn't detracting from RPG discussions.

MountainWest

Scholar
Calis said:
Half of forum: VD IS OUR HERO! This coup is undemocratic and must be stopped!
Other half of forum: VD was a nazi who sucked at moderating, but we'll miss his news and content! Hope we can still do the lulz!

Oh come the fuck on. Two thirds of the forum said that, yes, for one reason or another VD fucked up, but not nearly enough to strip him of the admin status. None of that VD is a hero crap. Really, if you feel people hold VD as a hero, then I suggest you ask yourself why you feel that way.

The reason a lot of us hate to see him go is not only because he is a good reviewer and interviewer but because of the reason he posts in this very thread. He wanted to make the Codex a respected site, and I'll be damned if he wasn't on his way of doing that. We've been mentioned favorably by both Obsidian and CDProject the last month. And, you know, I don't think I have to tell you that the more we get recognized the more our opinions on the state of the RPG-market gets recognized. That's kind of the point the Codex existed in the first place, no?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Calis said:
Anyway, we can safely say that this chapter's closed now, right? I'm pouring myself a glass of Scotch now and propose a toast to Vault Dweller, our former UberSturmFuhrer. I sincerely hope my idea of what this'll do for forum moderation policy is worth the loss of our editor-in-chief.

Calis

Pensionado
MountainWest said:
Oh come the fuck on. Two thirds of the forum said that, yes, for one reason or another VD fucked up, but not nearly enough to strip him of the admin status. None of that VD is a hero crap. Really, if you feel people hold VD as a hero, then I suggest you ask yourself why you feel that way.
It was more a reference to the general tone in the other dramathread than a characterization of the overall forum opinion.
MountainWest said:
The reason a lot of us hate to see him go is not only because he is a good reviewer and interviewer but because of the reason he posts in this very thread. He wanted to make the Codex a respected site, and I'll be damned if he wasn't on his way of doing that. We've been mentioned favorably by both Obsidian and CDProject the last month. And, you know, I don't think I have to tell you that the more we get recognized the more our opinions on the state of the RPG-market gets recognized. That's kind of the point the Codex existed in the first place, no?
True, but the general conclusion of this entire debacle is that when it comes to forum administration policy, most of the staff did not in fact agree that the course he took was the correct one. What you outlined is the main reason that, in retrospect, I regret this escalation, but I still believe strongly enough in what I stated on forum moderation policies that I believe that if given the choice between "awesome VD-run editorial policies + VD-designed forum policies" vs. "No more VD + others-designed forum policies", I'd choose the latter. That was the choice that needed to be made, and we made it. History will show whether or not I killed the Codex.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So it's decided?

requiem_for_a_hero.jpg

dagorkan

Arbiter
MountainWest said:
Calis said:
Half of forum: VD IS OUR HERO! This coup is undemocratic and must be stopped!
Other half of forum: VD was a nazi who sucked at moderating, but we'll miss his news and content! Hope we can still do the lulz!

Actually it was more like 70% in favor of VD and 30% against last time I saw it.

I think it's interesting that of the people who post about it in these endless bitchy, whinging threads are more like 70% anti-VD.

The vocal minority = spammers = dumbfucks = bad for the site = the anti-VD tendency in general.

If you post a lot here or consider yourself a 'regular' or consider you know 'the Codex spirit' or 'ethos' or whatever you are almost certainly the problem. Despite your egotistic delusions you are not 'the Codex', you are just a bunch of assholes with too much time on your hands. Nothing more. 'The Codex' doesn't fucking exist.

spacemoose

Erudite
someone should embed that music from the nutcracker in this thread. you know what I'm talking about - the one where the nutcracker is fatally wounded

dagorkan

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
dagorkan said:
'The Codex' doesn't fucking exist.

It does. It's a fucking website.
If it wouldn't exist, you wouldn't be able to post here.
I mean as an entity or glorious tradition set in stone. A lot of you guys ridicule religion, institutions, ideals in political discussions, but obviously don't realize that you think of the RPGCodex in the same way. You are so busy spamming with your spammer friends that you think you know what 'the Codex' is or represents but in fact you have no clue what the average member or lurker thinks.

That poll just goes to proves it. There are almost three members who support VD for every member who doesn't.

vrok

Liturgist
Yeah, well Gore won the popular vote too, but it's still irrelevant. Stop bringing the lame fucking poll up already, it's a staff decision. The poll was one of the bad decisions in the first place.

Cassidy

Arcane
I think there is a new type of activity going on with all this new drama which mix hipocrisy and silliness: Codex <s>Moral</s> Moronlists.

sheek said:
The vocal minority = spammers = dumbfucks = bad for the site.

No comments

dagorkan said:
If you post a lot here or consider yourself a 'regular' you are almost certainly the problem. Despite your egotistic delusions you are not 'the Codex', you are just a bunch of assholes with too much time on your hands. Nothing more. 'The Codex' doesn't fucking exist.

Do you have amnesia?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21247

And again, that "The Witcher" thread in RPG discussion has more replies and views than any LULZ thread.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Holy shit:

{246}{Over_81}{You've done it! That's . . . wonderful. Amazing! I'm so
proud of what you've accomplished, what you've endured. There's no way
the people of the Vault can ever thank you enough for what you've done.
You've saved all our lives. Who knows, maybe even saved the human race.
[The Overseer sighs.] That makes the rest of this even harder.
Everyone will want to talk to you. Every youngster will look up to you.
And want to emulate you. And then what? They'll want to leave. What
happens to the Vault if we lose the best of a generation? What if we
are the only safe place in the world? You just gave us back all these
lives . . . I can't take the chance of losing them. I've made a lot of
tough decisions since I took this position. But none of them harder
than this one. You saved us, but you'll kill us. I'm sorry. You're
a hero . . . and you have to leave.}

Meh, guess that's settled then. If the rest of you are going to hang on to Saint's hallowed no-ban policy, remember that it worked in no small part because he did trundle off into the trenches on a regular basis and ran off the retards himself, something out of the remaining admins I've only really seen VD have much interest in, and now he's out. It's pretty well just become an empty relic without the activity and interest on the part of the staff to back it up, which is what it seems VD was mainly trying to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom