Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preparing for the horrors of Oblivious - Modded Morrowind

dongle

Scholar
Re: Mods I use...

Don't forget The Battlespire! Pure graphic-whore goodness & linearity. :D Wheee!

Kind of embarrassing in this context, really.

Nael

Arcane
Solik said:
The new monsters do add a lot of variety to combat, but it's not worth it for most people.

All I have to say is that those damned packs of baby Nix-Hounds add variety to combat like getting beaned in the head by a foulball at a baseball game would add variety to the otherwise boring sport. In otherwords, it's not variety of a good kind. Not even really challenging... just annoying. Hell, I favored a mod that made Cliffracers nonaggressive. I don't know if that makes me a wimp or just easily annoyed :oops:

Solik

Scholar
The baby nix hounds are a prime example of the balance problem with that mod. They appear way too fast. They'd be a good challenge for a higher-level character, but if you're playing anything but a beefed battlemage, they'll own you most of the time. And they're too fast to run away from.

dongle

Scholar

FrancoTAU said:
So, are you retired from modding in general or just modding TES?

I've been modeling some, but not really modding any games. Check it out:

Bike-01-800.jpg

Larger versions here:
http://www.deffeyes.com/temp/Bike-01.jpg
http://www.deffeyes.com/temp/Bike-02.jpg

Plan -was- to start up again for Oblivion, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by that. I -want- to find another game to mod for, any suggestions? I have a pirate-style CtF idea for UT 2007 when that comes out. . . .

Data4

Arcane
Silgrad Tower is a good one, adding the huge city of Silgrad, as well as smaller surrounding cities like Reich Parkeep and Steadhelm on the western Morrowind mainland. There's about 30-35 quests within the mod, but what makes it shine is the detail put into the city of Silgrad.

They're amassing resources to do an Oblivion version of the mod, so Morrowind version updates are slowing down. I made a basic Hlaalu house model based on a Morrowind mesh, and one of the guys there took it and turned it into a full-fledged exterior tileset for eventual use in Oblivion (seeing as how Oblivion modders can't use MW resources for copyright reasons).

-D4

galsiah

Erudite
Barghest said:
I don't want additional quests etc, as I'm only playing through it once, so the mods recommended by aweigh seem to worth having a look at...
Personally I think gameplay mods are the most important, but it's difficult to decide exactly what you'll like before you've played the game. Mythic Mods is probably the best place to start. If you have a specific list of desires, you could ask in the official mods forum (without specifics you'll probably just get links to Mythic Mods / equivalent).

Having said that, you shouldn't necessarily view quest mods as just "additional quests". A lot of the quests in quest mods are more involved and well written than standard game quests. Choice with consequence is probably a bit more common too, though I haven't played enough of them to know.

On gameplay mods, you should be careful what you add if you're aiming for a well balanced game [you can't preserve Morrowind's balance, since it doesn't have any, but you can improve it]. Take something like Magical Trinkets of Tamriel for example. It's got a lot of great ideas, but personally I find it unbalancing if used unaltered. For instance, take threads:
A thread gives you a semi-permantent magicka regen bonus at the expense of some penalty - e.g. not wearing heavy armor / not using slashing weapons... This is a nice idea [another item can be used to exchange the magicka bonus for a permanent advantage in e.g. a skill], but is unbalancing, since you can usually pick a penalty that doesn't affect you at all (e.g. renouncing heavy armor when you never used it anyway), and the bonus you receive is too good: 1 point per second magicka regeneration is very unbalancing for low level characters.

I'd still suggest using MTT3 (or MTT4) though, since the ideas are very good. Just be aware that it'll make the game easier, so you should use other mods to add a bit of challenge.

I would suggest my own main mod (Galsiah's Character Development), but if you don't like it you've gained nothing, and if you do Oblivion will be disappointing in this area. I wouldn't suggest such extreme alterations without trying the standard system first in any case. You really need to have played the standard game a bit to make an informed decision on a mod setup.

dongle

Scholar

whitemithrandir said:
Of all things to model, why a bike?
Cuz I can't model boobs?

Cuz I work in a bike shop?

I dunno, it was fun tho.

Nael

Arcane

dongle said:
whitemithrandir said:
Of all things to model, why a bike?
Cuz I can't model boobs?

Cuz I work in a bike shop?

I dunno, it was fun tho.

Well, I think it looks fantastic. I bet it was fun putting in all those spokes :D

Btw, is that a Schwinn?

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I second the recommendation for "The Illuminated Order." It's well-written, very interesting, and innovative. If only the basic game itself could have been as cool.

VenomByte

Scholar
Solik said:
The baby nix hounds are a prime example of the balance problem with that mod. They appear way too fast. They'd be a good challenge for a higher-level character, but if you're playing anything but a beefed battlemage, they'll own you most of the time. And they're too fast to run away from.

Actually, I disagree. Those Nix Hounds may be fast and powerful, but they're also extremely low on health. One little low level fireball with a decent area of effect will fry the lot instantly. Very satisfying if they're grouped in a big bunch. Archers can use area effect arrows for the same result. The only character I can see having serious difficulty is a very low level warrior - and if that's you, maybe you should be exploring carefully rather than running around carelessly as if you're Conan the Barbarian?

The trouble is, Giants is designed to be played at Difficulty +0. That's what it's balanced for. Yet so many people are used to playing at +100 with vanilla MW, and they try the same on Giants. If you that, you're gonna get owned. Not just by the baby nix hounds, but the night sprites too. And the zombies will whack you out in one hit even at high levels.

VenomByte

Scholar
SlavemasterT said:
I second the recommendation for "The Illuminated Order." It's well-written, very interesting, and innovative. If only the basic game itself could have been as cool.

Best quest mod ever.

[shameless plug]
Also goes very well with my Lich mod.
[/shameless plug]

Antagonist

Liturgist
I hear people recommend Super Adventurer's but I thought it was discontinued in mid-development due to a disappearance of the creater. I remember vaguely that he released a Beta for SA version 3 and then just vanished.

Balor

Arcane
Just as predicted, the thread turned into plugfest by modders who run away from sinking in stupidity TES forums. :)
And, like always, I've started this trend. Go me! :).

VenomByte

Scholar
Balor said:
Just as predicted, the thread turned into plugfest by modders who run away from sinking in stupidity TES forums. :)

To be fair, the Mods forum over there isn't nearly as bad as Oblivion General, so long as you can ignore the occasional request for 'Halo Armour' and 'rocket launchers' (hey... maybe the devs do listen to the fans? that must explain the changes to staves)

If I find 'Armour of the Master Chief' hidden in Oblivion, I'm gonna cry.

Data4

Arcane
VenomByte said:
Balor said:

To be fair, the Mods forum over there isn't nearly as bad as Oblivion General, so long as you can ignore the occasional request for 'Halo Armour' and 'rocket launchers' (hey... maybe the devs do listen to the fans? that must explain the changes to staves)

If I find 'Armour of the Master Chief' hidden in Oblivion, I'm gonna cry.

True enough. Even some of the old regulars who spend their time in the Community forum lament the garbage that Oblivion General has become. Of course, Community is where you find such wellsprings of goodness like... "My girlfriend broke up with me and now I want to cut myself".

About the only thing I still enjoy going to is the Lore forum, because good lore is my favorite thing about RPGs overall, and no one can say TES is lacking in that department.

-D4

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I third the recommendation of the Twin Lamps mod, it is excellent and very well written.

Also, I highly recommend a mod that makes the wildlife tame, or removes the stupid cliff racers and fish from the game altogether. Being chomped upon by something you cannot see every 30 seconds is neither challenging nor fun.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Data4 said:
Of course, Community is where you find such wellsprings of goodness like... "My girlfriend broke up with me and now I want to cut myself".
That has to be one of my favourite quotes ever. Actaully, probably one of the best topics ever also :lol:

Other good mods:
Atmospheric sound effects. Actually, this is both good and bad. Good in that things sounds like they are going on around you, bad in that you hear things you will never ever see (children, dogs etc). Still adds some life.

True lights and darkness - invaluable. Makes the caves really dark unless you have a light source, so travelling around unequipped becomes more of a challenge.

Travelling NPCs - a step in the right direction, a chance to meet some people actually between towns rather than just the odd static minor quest person.

Boats - a bit of fun. Nice to be able to navigate your own boat on the seas around Vvardenfell. Can't remember the official name though - or the author (Mad Max maybe?)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Nog Robbin said:
Travelling NPCs - a step in the right direction, a chance to meet some people actually between towns rather than just the odd static minor quest person.
Travelling Merchants? Thanks!
Boats - a bit of fun. Nice to be able to navigate your own boat on the seas around Vvardenfell. Can't remember the official name though - or the author (Mad Max maybe?)
Fishing academy?

Nog Robbin

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
Nog Robbin said:
Travelling Merchants? Thanks!
Fishing academy?
Travelling merchants! That's it! Thanks.
And it could be fishing academy - though I never used it for fishing, just for the boating bit :)

whitemithrandir

Erudite
VenomByte said:
SlavemasterT said:

Best quest mod ever.

[shameless plug]
Also goes very well with my Lich mod.
[/shameless plug]

Holy shit, I love the lich mod! You are awesome!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Barghest said:
I don't want additional quests etc, as I'm only playing through it once, so the mods recommended by aweigh seem to worth having a look at...
I don't get it. If you're only playing through once, you'd want to improve on the main gaime as much as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom