Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Playing Fallout 1 for the first time

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Jigby

Augur
which is also why Im not going to mod FO2
If you don't want to use the Restoration Project, use UPU (https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Unofficial_Patch/releases). Or at least use the new sfall. No point in playing the game with the 15 years old sfall that comes with gog/steam.
Do you really need sfall?
The difference between sfall 3.2 (gog) and the new one is YUGE! Just in terms of bugfixing. The difference between nosfall and the new sfall is probably not much bigger, since 3.2 is almost as basic as if you were playing without it.

Anyway, if you don't want to use UPU/RPU/whatever... use sfall.

BruceVC

Magister
which is also why Im not going to mod FO2
If you don't want to use the Restoration Project, use UPU (https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Unofficial_Patch/releases). Or at least use the new sfall. No point in playing the game with the 15 years old sfall that comes with gog/steam.
Do you really need sfall?
The difference between sfall 3.2 (gog) and the new one is YUGE! Just in terms of bugfixing. The difference between nosfall and the new sfall is probably not much bigger, since 3.2 is almost as basic as if you were playing without it.

Anyway, if you don't want to use UPU/RPU/whatever... use sfall.
I am going to install UPU, it will be the only mod\patch I use

I will provide feedback of my FO2 experience once Im 20 hours in or so :salute:

agris

Arcane
Patron
playing at 120% speed is a nice compromise between being able to appreciate the death animations, and making running just a bit faster.

also enable the instant interact option in sfall, as well as the "play idle animation on reload".

Jigby

Augur
I am going to install UPU, it will be the only mod\patch I use
If you have already downloaded v27, a hotfix was released couple of hours ago (v28), so use that :).

heat-heat1995.gif

BruceVC

Magister
20 hours in and as predicted its been a very entertaining CRPG experience. I like all the changes compared to FO1 and they improve on some of the original mechanics like how you interact with your companions

I have completed loads of quests and activities in the starting towns that include the Den and Redding. I love how they have expanded on the themes in the dialogue so you come across hilarious options where you accuse people of bigotry like how Sulik was being treated and the general low opinion some people have of you " being a tribal person" :-D

I am particularly enjoying the lack of resources and money on early levels but I got lucky, I joined a Caravan to Vault City and despite some really tough random encounters I was able to survive and I looted from the dead enemies loads of new weapons and ammunition which I plan to sell and use now that I have reached Vault City

And combat seems harder, or at least much harder enemies like the Wanamingo. I still cant kill them yet but now I have better weapons I will go back to the mines in Redding

But I like the harder combat.

Further updates to follow after 40 hours or so :cool:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed FO2 after about 65 hours, It was a fantastic game and I did prefer it to FO1 but they both excellent CPRG will all the mechanics that we love from that era of gaming

Its also not really a fair comparison because FO1 is the original, iconic game and the developers couldnt predict it would be a success so FO2 has the benefit of expanding on established themes and lore which I appreciated like the Enclave, Hubologists and the NCR.

But the highlights for me around FO2 were similar to FO1 and they include

• real character customization and this allows you to truly solve quests in different ways so you feel your characters build matters
  • open world and real sandbox and lots of quests and ways to influence your own journey and reasons to explore the world map
  • unique towns and factions, I loved the lore around New Reno and Vault City
  • a varied choice of weapons and an economy that means you need to find and sell resources like weapons. Ammunition being my biggest constant drain on my finances. I like this type of in game economy because you dont take money for granted

I had one major point of frustration and that was initially travelling on the world map and having to encounter endless random encounters as enemies but once I started increasing my outdoor skill that was vastly reduced and the world map became fun

i have decided Im going to play FO3 again and continue my Wasteland adventures but not right now

And finally I give F02 a 78/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

Its highly recommended for anyone who wants a fun and worthwhile CRPG experience

Camel

Scholar
I completed FO2 after about 65 hours, It was a fantastic game and I did prefer it to FO1 but they both excellent CPRG will all the mechanics that we love from that era of gaming

i have decided Im going to play FO3 again and continue my Wasteland adventures but not right now
Joined: 26/7/2011. Nigga, you spent 12 years on the Codex no less without ever touching the Fallout franchise.
And finally I give F02 a 78/100
Opinion discarded.

BruceVC

Magister

Joined: 26/7/2011. Nigga, you spent 12 years on the Codex no less without ever touching the Fallout franchise.
And finally I give F02 a 78/100
Opinion discarded.
No I created an account in 2011 but I never used it on the forums until 2 years ago. So I never visited these forums until then so I have only been active for 2 years

Camel

Scholar
No I created an account in 2011 but I never used it on the forums until 2 years ago. So I never visited these forums until then so I have only been active for 2 years
What's your score for FO1?

Camel

Scholar
BruceVC: People here talk non-stop about two legendary games. Should I play them in 12 years?
Also BruceVC: Nah.
You’re African, resident racists will call you dumb for giving low scores for FO1-2.
FO1 gets a solid 72/100
Opinion discarded.

Last edited:

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FO1 gets a solid 72/100
What's your score for BG2 and BG3 and Fallout 3/4 and Pillars of Eternity and Planescape Torment and Skyrim and Morrowind and Gothic 1/2/Elex.

Show us your BruceVC top 10.

Camel

Scholar
FO1 gets a solid 72/100
What's your score for BG2 and BG3 and Fallout 3/4 and Pillars of Eternity and Planescape Torment and Skyrim and Morrowind and Gothic 1/2/Elex.

He didn’t play any of them.

BruceVC

Magister
FO1 gets a solid 72/100

So I have posted this several times but its always interesting and the list can obviously get updated and its difficult to decide" whats your top 10 games " because I have played so many good games. But here is my current list with number 1 being my favorite.

1. BG2: ToB
  2. Witcher 3
  3. D:OS2
  4. Daggerfall
  5. BG1
  6. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  7. Morrowind
  8. Fallout 2
  9. Fallout:NV
  10. ELEX 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom