Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment Versus Fallout Versus Morrowind

Gambler

Augur
In PS:T the player character choice was most restrictive.
Yeah, and it's a good thing. In a game where main character has defined gender, look and voice, designer can make NPCs to react to all those traits accordingly.

Slylandro

Scholar
I'd go for the 90 degrees but that wouldn't keep me from snatching up good examples of any of the two extremes. PS: T did have a great story. But I don't think it was really that much better than, say, Arcanum's. To me, PS: T's story only seemed that much stronger because of the artistic, exceptional dialogue. Also your followers were much more fleshed out. In contrast in Fallout and Arcanum the NPCs I thought just weren't very reactive.

Astromarine

Erudite
Barenziah said:
I like all three type of games. Morrowind have so many mods out there like afew that allow your attridutes and skill to go over 100 to the max in the games over time.

this thread is FOUR YEARS OLD you fucking retard!

Limorkil

Liturgist
chrisbeddoes said:
So my question is

Since it seems that the ability to write a perfect story interferes with the freedom of character creation and the nonlinearity of the game and assuming that you cannot have a perfect story and non linearity and an unhindered player creation

Imagine a slider that has PS:T in the left Fallout in the middle and Morrowind in the right

Where would you like that slider to point in the next game that you will buy?

I think that overall the good story beats out everything else, for me at least. But I don't agree with your analysis because it implies that it is not possible to have everything.

Take Morrowind, for example. It had a lame story with zero surprises. Player actions had no impact on the world. It had crappy combat. It had lots of 'freedom' in terms of where you could go, although really there was rarely more than one way to achieve a particular goal. People blame the dialogue system, the class/race system, the faction system, the open-ness. That is all bullshit. Without changing anything about the game engine Bethesda could have made a game with a good story, decent dialogue, open ended quests, character actions that affect the world. They just didn't because it was not important to them. Obviously story was important to the design of PS:T, so the story is good and other things suffer.

People fool themselves when they say that it is impossible to have a tight story with freedom of character choice, or open endedness. That is just people paying too much attention to developer excuses. What it really comes down to is this: Some things take more thought than others. They take more time, but they don't necessarily make us any more money. So fuck them.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Planescape's strength isn't necessarily it's plot or storyline, but the characters and the setting, while Fallout's is setting and gameplay. There isn't a whole lot of interesting major plot points in Planescape, you mostly just move from one area to the next. What it does have is a huge number of mini-plots and interesting side-characters/items/quests and a huge amount of...I don't know, "lore" maybe that make the setting so engrossing the way Fallout's artistic style makes ITS setting to engrossing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom