Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
hard battles no matter the level you are on.
Yes, this is what scaling gives you.

If you want tough battles without scaling, you have to seek them out while you are still lower level than expected for that encounter. But then you will get overleveled for the stuff that you missed.
I am not talking about scaling here, i am talking about bosses like Q from MM6 or Drakensang river of time side bosses. A good side boss that doesn't scale up and is hard even on normal difficulty on max level.

So Llengrath?

IIRC Q just has 10k hp and casts finger of death, but hits like a pansy. He's a easter egg and an endurance test, not what'd I'd call a good side boss.

fobia

But you understand that (upwards) level-scaling can improve one's gaming experience since it makes combat in low-level areas less low-level and closer to your level, if you've skipped said are before and are now too-high of a level for that combat area to still be enjoyable combat-wise, right fantadomat?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I am not talking about scaling here, i am talking about bosses like Q from MM6 or Drakensang river of time side bosses. A good side boss that doesn't scale up and is hard even on normal difficulty on max level.

This only works as postgame (or pre-last dungeon if you will) optional superbosses. It works well in a more linear game, like JRPG where the base game only becomes too easy if you consciously grind. PoE1 eventually got similar challenge as a sidequest with bog dragons and some hunts.
If you want the same as part of an open world then you get something like recent Final Fantasy 15 where you can destroy the strongest creature in the game by the midgame and then you yawn for the rest of the game.

Razagunn

Novice
Level scaling in PoE 1 gave the enemies a few levels ,which translates into some accuracy and defenses. Xaurips still had their shitty unenchanted spears. The scaling didnt make up for the items and Abilities/Talents the player characters got. I dont think the sense of progression got removed.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
As far as I can tell, the way scaling works in poe is that ennemies see their stats incremented by 3*lvl-difference for defenses and acc, with eventually some dr adjustment. I think.

Unless this changed, it's really not a big deal (I mean, you still don't meet a dragon at level 5).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But PoE enemies weren't scaled in the base game as far as I'm aware? Unless you mean the White march scaling, but that was to compensate for it being mid game DLC.

Parabalus

Arcane
So whats the ideal solution scale crit path only?

Upscale everything, no downscaling.

You do realise that base level 5, scale by up to +4 levels is exactly the same as base level 7, scale by up to +/- 2 levels? You've just set your zero point differently.

If you are lvl 9, like in your example, yes. If you were lvl 6 then it would be 5+1 and 7-0, upscaling means there is just +, so you can get "rekt".

As far as I can tell, the way scaling works in poe is that ennemies see their stats incremented by 3*lvl-difference for defenses and acc, with eventually some dr adjustment. I think.

Unless this changed, it's really not a big deal (I mean, you still don't meet a dragon at level 5).

Upscaling everything is kinda the BG2 mode. If they give them higher level abilities (unlike PoE1, like you said), to the extent that kobolds summon dragons, it might not be.

Mazisky

Magister
Critical path only upscale is the way to go.

It's fine to have challenge for the main quest but at the same time it s right to oneshot early monsters later on.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If you want tough battles without scaling, you have to seek them out while you are still lower level than expected for that encounter. But then you will get overleveled for the stuff that you missed.

So Llengrath?

IIRC Q just has 10k hp and casts finger of death, but hits like a pansy. He's a easter egg and an endurance test, not what'd I'd call a good side boss.
I never fought him,he made a solid argument i just agreed with him. Not much of a side boss if you can pass him with only text. If you want optional bosses,well the dragon in mm7's first island. Also you can put everything as test of endurance.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This only works as postgame (or pre-last dungeon if you will) optional superbosses. It works well in a more linear game, like JRPG where the base game only becomes too easy if you consciously grind. PoE1 eventually got similar challenge as a sidequest with bog dragons and some hunts.
If you want the same as part of an open world then you get something like recent Final Fantasy 15 where you can destroy the strongest creature in the game by the midgame and then you yawn for the rest of the game.
Agree with you,see no reason to not be added in the game. We all know that we fight the last boss at max level with all the relics and spellbooks. It will be good to have a few interesting battles before ending it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used it in the end but I meant it like "Arbitrary aesthetic standards which I have set in place for the sole purposed that X should be disqualified by them".

Parabalus

Arcane

So Llengrath?

I never fought him,he made a solid argument i just agreed with him. Not much of a side boss if you can pass him with only text. If you want optional bosses,well the dragon in mm7's first island. Also you can put everything as test of endurance.

How the hell does optional diplomacy invalidate the optional combat encounter?

Running around and shooting for 20 minutes to kill the Emerald Island dragon at lvl 1 is hardly what I'd call a "high level side boss".

Critical path only upscale is the way to go.

It's fine to have challenge for the main quest but at the same time it s right to oneshot early monsters later on.

My gripe is that e.g. PoE1 kobolds die too fast when you're max level to just attack-move. I'd like for them to have some more HP/Def so you have more time for experimenting on them :).

Jezal_k23

How the hell does optional diplomacy invalidate the optional combat encounter?
If you can avoid the encounter it doesn't count as a difficult side boss encounter
:happytrollboy:

So if I don't find a difficult optional boss encounter, thereby avoiding it, then it doesn't count as a difficult boss?

Can it also be considered that if I didn't find a side boss, it didn't exist?

Or that the game itself does not exist if I didn't purchase it?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
If you don't find it, does it even exist?

Also I am unironically going to wear my Pillars shirt today. Not outside, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom