Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open endedness does not mean a good RPG.

truekaiser

Scholar
a good linear game is one with a good story(the length of which is up to debate) like a book.

the two games that are quite popular now, morrowind and oblivion, are both linear and non-linear games.
they are a hybrid of sorts.
they are linear in the fact that your actions mean nothing, the world only reacts to the events in main storyline and does not even give a moments notice if you do somthing that is not part of it.
then again they are similar to the sandbox games like 'second life' in that it gives you a set amount of land to wander around in with all areas open to you. areas that are so off limits in other games that they might as well be other dimensions, like the shop keepers stuck in the universe behind their counter's.

truekaiser said:
Areas that are so off limits in other games that they might as well be other dimensions, like the shop keepers stuck in the universe behind their counter's.
Yes the shopkeepers from morrowind (daggerfall?) did sort of have their own dimension.

RAI is supposed to counteract some aspects of that, though I doubt it's going to be like we want it to be. Though it's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

But you could end up with an overly complex game, with overly complex NPC's that only the best computers can handle, which will be of no use then.

I sometimes fear RAI may be too ambitious. It theoretically has great potential. Actually bringing it to practice is real hard.

Zomg

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
No, I like it. It encourages people to think about every fucking sentence and write less generic bullshit*

*patent pending

Fair enough. It does cut through marketer-speak, so it has utility.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
The precious hobbit is right in a way, there aren't really any 100% non-linear RPGs. Even Fallout has the "find waterchip" main quest bit that you have to do, before destroying, (or joining), the mutants. I still consider Fallout a non-linear game as such, like the second time i played it, i didn't feel like going to Vault 15, so i didn't. Using Morrowind as contrast to that, i'm always forced to visit certain people, in a certain order, and doing the same quests, every time, in the same order.

Morrowind's main quest in a Fallout fashion could be something like "Uncover the truth about Nerevar", and then "Kill Dagoth Ur", game over. Instead, you're babysitted through the main quest, every step of the way, and that can make for a very trite, and certainly linear, experience. See, both games have steps towards finishing the game, the difference is Fallout only has two forced steps, and Morrowind has... well, a lot of forced steps.

Rat Keeng said:
The precious hobbit is right in a way, there aren't really any 100% non-linear RPGs. Even Fallout has the "find waterchip" main quest bit that you have to do, before destroying, (or joining), the mutants. I still consider Fallout a non-linear game as such, like the second time i played it, i didn't feel like going to Vault 15, so i didn't. Using Morrowind as contrast to that, i'm always forced to visit certain people, in a certain order, and doing the same quests, every time, in the same order.

Morrowind's main quest in a Fallout fashion could be something like "Uncover the truth about Nerevar", and then "Kill Dagoth Ur", game over. Instead, you're babysitted through the main quest, every step of the way, and that can make for a very trite, and certainly linear, experience. See, both games have steps towards finishing the game, the difference is Fallout only has two forced steps, and Morrowind has... well, a lot of forced steps.
Yes that really was a bore with Morrowind. Even though I really liked Morrowind that's one of the aspects I really disliked. Now I always take the altenative 3rd route that has 4 forced steps.
1. find Keening 2. find Sunder 3. find something to restore your health (may be optional, but I don't like unequiping all the time) 4. find the heart of Lorkhan to severe it from the numidium.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think its very fair to call Morrowind, and probalby Oblivion, non-linear games. Its also fair to say Morrowind didn't do the bets job of making their non-linear gameplay very appealing. The main quest is pretty linear in of its self, but I don't think it counts for more than 15% of the actual gamemplay, so there is a lot of non-linearity to be had. Compared to Fable, where the main quest was incredibly linear and probably counted for 80% or more of what there was to do in the game... Morrowind has plenty of nonlinearity.

There should be a disction between a nonlinear game, and a nonlinear mainplot, unless the mainplot is the game. I'm surprise no one has mentioned Arcanum. You still have to pretty much do the main quest in certain steps, there were always multiple ways to do these steps, such as doing favors for the richest man in the city to get needed information, or siding with his long time rival to break into his house to steal the information.

Lumpy

Arcane
odorf sniggab said:
An open ended enviroment doesn't make a great RPG. Besides, any game that isn't a MMORPG has an ending. Oblivion's core quest is only 20 hours long. That is if you don't decide to go picking mushrooms for 30 hours of your gaming time in Oblivion you can beat it in 20 hours. So the open ended nature of the game is really just an illusion. If you break it down the game is linear just like any other RPG. Great puzzle solving, well crafted dungeons, a bevy of hidden secrets to discover and unlock and a good range of character abilities make a good RPG. So what if it's open ended if all you can do with that time is kill more monsters and talk to more NPCs.
Ahem. I'm going to defend Oblivion here (I know you all will hate me for this).
If you played Morrowind and the only options you saw were doing the Main Quest and killing monsters, then, you REALLY have no idea what you're talking about. There were about 10 crappy faction who would give you about 30 quests each, there were vampire clans, crappy as well, and you gained special abilities, quite a few sidequests (50 or so), even fewer of them interesting, and of course killing monsters and bandits, which were uninteresting as well. Oh, and freeing slaves.
Oblivion will be in total 250 hours long. I somehow doubt the quality of those hours will be great, but if you think picking muchrooms will be all that will occupy those 250-30 hours, than you're really clueless.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Greatatlantic said:
I think its very fair to call Morrowind, and probalby Oblivion, non-linear games.

If by "very fair" you mean "grossly inaccurate", I agree.

odorf sniggab said:
Show me one RPG that doesn't have an ending.

Fate.

Then, show me one RPG that doesn't have a core quest path to follow to reach that ending.

Games where there's not a set core quest path to reach the ending?

Geneforge
Fallout
Gearhead
Prelude to Darkness
Jagged Alliance 2
Escape Velocity Nova

You want me to clarify any of those?

Doppelganger

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
Geneforge
Fallout
Gearhead
Prelude to Darkness
Jagged Alliance 2
Escape Velocity Nova

You want me to clarify any of those?
Out of noobish interest, yes please.

yipsl

Scholar
odorf sniggab said:
An open ended enviroment doesn't make a great RPG. Besides, any game that isn't a MMORPG has an ending. Oblivion's core quest is only 20 hours long. That is if you don't decide to go picking mushrooms for 30 hours of your gaming time in Oblivion you can beat it in 20 hours. So the open ended nature of the game is really just an illusion. If you break it down the game is linear just like any other RPG. Great puzzle solving, well crafted dungeons, a bevy of hidden secrets to discover and unlock and a good range of character abilities make a good RPG. So what if it's open ended if all you can do with that time is kill more monsters and talk to more NPCs.

Well, we know you like games you can finish in 20 hours. Well, Bethsoft isn't doing it exactly as us old time gamers prefer but they are at least giving us a living dynamic world that can be modded on the PC and allows for hundreds of hours of adventure. They originally quoted 200+ but now say 300+. At it's best TES with a CS is endless gameplay and not as boring as most MMORPGs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
If you played Morrowind and the only options you saw were doing the Main Quest and killing monsters, then, you REALLY have no idea what you're talking about. There were about 10 crappy faction who would give you about 30 quests each, there were vampire clans, crappy as well, and you gained special abilities, quite a few sidequests (50 or so), even fewer of them interesting, and of course killing monsters and bandits, which were uninteresting as well. Oh, and freeing slaves.
Oblivion will be in total 250 hours long. I somehow doubt the quality of those hours will be great, but if you think picking muchrooms will be all that will occupy those 250-30 hours, than you're really clueless.
We know that there are many side-quests in TES games, but we were discussing main quests. I guess you didn't get the memo.

Doppelganger

Novice
Ok, I have another noob question (not about TES, please): what do you guys think is the perfect balance between the sandbox elements of an RPG and its quest elements (main or side)? Are they best implemented as separate features of a game, or should one be absolutely dependent on the other?

Crnobog

Liturgist
Well fuck me mr reversed frodo baggins, by your logic life is linear too because you always die in the end (omigod spoilars!!11!)

I don't care if the game has one, five or twenty endings, as long as the world reacts properly to the choices I make during the course of the game. And by reacting I don't mean changing your characters texture or suddenly being called 'teh hero' by every fucking npc in the game or other cosmetic crap like that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Doppelganger said:
Ok, I have another noob question (not about TES, please): what do you guys think is the perfect balance between the sandbox elements of an RPG and its quest elements (main or side)? Are they best implemented as separate features of a game, or should one be absolutely dependent on the other?
Depends on the point of view. Some people love BG2/TES "tons of side-quests" style. "Yes, I'm saving this world here from some impeding doom, but I don't mind running some errands for you! Do you want me to pick your mail?" I'd prefer if side-quests were integrated into the "theme" of the main quest and logic of the situation.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Doppelganger said:
Well, there's two sides to this.

Strictly speaking, Darklands was basically one big medieval sandbox. IIRC, it did not have a main "quest" so to speak, but instead was about you rising to fame and becoming well-known (or infamous). Most of the quests you weren't given, but instead kind of stumbled into. You would be walking about the countryside and BAM! You'd find a damsel in distress or a caravan wishing to trade or some thugs.

There was a bulletin-board like system of getting quests, much lie you'd find in space games or such. But to do those quests you had to have a high enough reputation, and if you didn't, more adventuring for you!

So, basically, I'm guessing by "sandbox" you mean going anywhere and doing anything, like the ability in Fallout to skip all the quests and just go kill The Master. Most RPGs don't have that kind of sandbox element to them, as RPGs are mostly defined by their quests or missions or jobs or whatever terminology you'd like to use.

Darklands is really much more sandbox-based than quest-based. Fallout, on the other hand, is much more quest-based than sandbox-based. That is NOT to say it's linear, but that it puts more focus on the quests and how you complete them and what you do during them or to the people giving them than Darklands' more simulation type feel. In Darklands, the emphasis IS on exploration. Fallout's emphasis on the quests, BUT it has the option to be free-roaming and sandboxy. In Fallout, I could just go about killing every person I saw (Or just black people and the dwarf people becase my character is a racist because I'm roleplaying THE MORROWIND WAY) but you can't escape the quests the game pushes on you, because sooner or later you will have to kill the mutants, or join up with them or do something to get better equipment or level up.

Sandbox is free-form, which is to say it's always non-linear. If it wasn't, it wouldn't really be a sandbox. Quest-based can be non-linear, as Fallout has showed us, but when you're forcing a player onto a path, there will be games/times when it's linear.

Of course, if I had to choose between a game where I just wandered around meaninglessly, but I had everything open to me and I could and do whatever I wanted but it had no effect whatsoever on the gameplay, I'd take quest-based anyday.
Depends on the point of view. Some people love BG2/TES "tons of side-quests" style. "Yes, I'm saving this world here from some impeding doom, but I don't mind running some errands for you! Do you want me to pick your mail?" I'd prefer if side-quests were integrated into the "theme" of the main quest and logic of the situation.
Ultima VII kinda fell into that trap, too. That game had plentiful side-quests and many ways of completing the main quest, but they just didn't seem to make that much sense when you think about. You get the Guardian popping up on your monitor going "Suck it, Avatar! I'm gonna come to Britannia and lay some serious waste to it. You can't stop me!" You get to Britannia and you can just go lolly-gagging about. Do a side-quest here and there, have the Guardian laugh at you BUT YOU CAN STAY IN BRITANNIA FOR IN-GAME YEARS AND NOTHING HAPPENS!

The game tries to remedy this by showing signs of the Guardian's influence all around. You'll be wandering about in a cave, and then you'll see a generator and you can't enter. Cue Guardian taunt. Your interest will be piqued, so soon enough you'll be searching for a way to get in, and you may happen across ANOTHER generator or secret Fellowship cave. You'll go HMMM, and then search about for answers to that cave et cetera, et cetera.

Morrowind could've fixed the whole "IMPENDING DOOM!!! but first, do some sidequests" situation by slowly showing Dagoth-Ur's influence spreading, more and more Sixth House members coming into the open. Maybe even towns being rampaged by his armies. And these wouldn't be triggered by you doing something, but by inaction. Could've improved the game greatly, IMHO.

Doppelganger

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Yes, I suppose side-quests are by their nature digressive, although needn't be as immersion-breaking as those examples. I was thinking more of the non-quest elements, though, however these might be defined: stat-building activities, character development, gathering followers, buying and maintaining property, creating reputations and relationships, economy management, exploring for its own sake - basically all the features that can be treated as sub-games in themselves. So perhaps this is more of a question about the relationship between 'main game' and 'sub-games', if that's a credible distinction at all.

The Ludologist has an interesting discussion around a talk entitled "Between game and non-game: The video game as a sandbox for the player," with a link to a technical paper on game design and dynamics, "MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research" (Google cache version). The latter includes this interesting taxonomy to describe the "aesthetic components" that combine to create different "player experiences":

1. Sensation
Game as sense-pleasure
2. Fantasy
Game as make-believe
3. Narrative
Game as drama
4. Challenge
Game as obstacle course
5. Fellowship
Game as social framework
6. Discovery
Game as uncharted territory
7. Expression
Game as self-discovery
8. Submission
Game as pastime

The example given of the Sims includes the combined elements of: Discovery, Fantasy, Expression, Narrative.

My question, then, would be about the extent to which these different elements can (or should) be dependent on each other in a good RPG.

Edit: Naked_Lunch, you've answered most of my questions, many thanks.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Crnobog said:
Well fuck me mr reversed frodo baggins, by your logic life is linear too because you always die in the end (omigod spoilars!!11!)
:lol:
lollercoaster29la.gif

Atrokkus

Erudite
Morrowind could've fixed the whole "IMPENDING DOOM!!! but first, do some sidequests" situation by slowly showing Dagoth-Ur's influence spreading, more and more Sixth House members coming into the open. Maybe even towns being rampaged by his armies. And these wouldn't be triggered by you doing something, but by inaction. Could've improved the game greatly, IMHO.
Verily. But that would make the munchkins angry, that's why Bethesda dismissed this option even if they had considered it (and they probably did).

By the way, the same flaw was in Fallout 2: I got the same "IMPENDING DOOM!!! but first, do some sidequests" feel, becasue you basically could play in this sandbox (or, "wastebox"? :)) for years and the Enclave was totally motionless this whole time. I think BIS shoudl have added a timelimit in FO2, just like they did in FO1. Say, if you tarry for too long, The Enclave starts pumping FEV into atmosphere and oyu get killed or mutated or something. It would not prevent the sandbox scenario (which was *VERY* good in FO2), but only postpone it until you actually destroy the enclave.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Doppelganger said:
I was thinking more of the non-quest elements, though, however these might be defined: stat-building activities, character development, gathering followers, buying and maintaining property, creating reputations and relationships, economy management, exploring for its own sake - basically all the features that can be treated as sub-games in themselves. So perhaps this is more of a question about the relationship between 'main game' and 'sub-games', if that's a credible distinction at all.
Depends on the implementations. If a game forces you to have a party (I believe in Star Trail during your descend to a certain dungeon you must leave one party member behind to operate a lift mechanism on each floor -> you must have at least 3 people in your party, and that's assuming that the remaining person can handle the dangers of the last floor all by himself which is unlikely) then going out of your way to look for promising recruits makes a lot of sense. Otherwise...

Same with anything else, it's always about design.

My question, then, would be about the extent to which these different elements can (or should) be dependent on each other in a good RPG.
Design. Good design can tie together all of them, bad design can fail to implement one correctly.

Edit: compare D2 and DS2 for example. Same game elements, but what a huge difference. Reasons: poor character system that can't create many diverse builds, unbalanced loot distribution, boring combat mechanics - in D2 you can use different attacks which makes combat more interactive, in DS2 you use one attack, occasionally using slowly recharging power attacks.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
We know that there are many side-quests in TES games, but we were discussing main quests. I guess you didn't get the memo.
No, VD, he said that Oblivion's MQ will be only 20 hours, and unless you spend 30 hours picking mushrooms and killing random mushrooms you'll beat it in only 20 hours, so the open-endedness is just an illusion.
My point is, people rarely play TES games just to "beat" them, as in finishing the MQ then getting back to WoW. So the Main Quest itself is not open-ended, but what you do with your character in the game is.
He didn't say "non-linear", as in multiple paths, but "open endedness", as in Role-Playing sandboxness. (IMHO at least)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
No, VD, he said that Oblivion's MQ will be only 20 hours, and unless you spend 30 hours picking mushrooms and killing random mushrooms you'll beat it in only 20 hours, so the open-endedness is just an illusion.
Isn't that what most side-quests in MW were all about though? Kill this, find that.

He didn't say "non-linear", as in multiple paths, but "open endedness", as in Role-Playing sandboxness. (IMHO at least)
His second post clearly indicated what he meant: "Not sure why you quoted that but yes EVERY rpg is linear. If you don't do the main quests you don't get closer to the ending of the game. LINEAR. They haven't made a RPG yet where you don't have to follow a core quest path to complete the game, LINNNEEEAARRRRRRR."

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Isn't that what most side-quests in MW were all about though? Kill this, find that.
And what was the Main Quest about?...

His second post clearly indicated what he meant: "Not sure why you quoted that but yes EVERY rpg is linear. If you don't do the main quests you don't get closer to the ending of the game. LINEAR. They haven't made a RPG yet where you don't have to follow a core quest path to complete the game, LINNNEEEAARRRRRRR."
So, yes, Morrowind was LINNNEEEAARRRRRRR, but people did NOT just play it just to "complete" the game, they played it to make new characters and role-play them in different ways, and many times they even ignored the Main Quest. So yes, there is only one way to beat the game, but the purpose is NOT to beat the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
And what was the Main Quest about?...
Stopping what's-his-face. While ultimately that too was also about killing/fetching stuff, there was some overall goal and somehow all that fetching and killing led to that goal.The side quests lacked that sense of purpose other than eventual levelling up and getting more loot that you couldn't sell.

So, yes, Morrowind was LINNNEEEAARRRRRRR, but people did NOT just play it just to "complete" the game, they played it to make new characters and role-play them in different ways, and many times they even ignored the Main Quest. So yes, there is only one way to beat the game, but the purpose is NOT to beat the game.
We are not discussing whether or not a linear RPG can have redeeming qualities and be a decent game overall. Of course, it can. The only question that was asked here is "was MW linear?". Yes, yes it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom