Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Olympus 2207 - fan-made Fallout total conversion

deama

Prophet
Ok nvm, just finished it, I think I ended up skipping like half the game by accident or something cause I finished it at lvl 15.
It's ok, it's kinda buggy I have to admit though, lots of stuff that you can easily accidentally "break".

Wait you finished the game two hours after saving your father? And you were level 15? I just finished the father quest at level 7 and don’t think I’m anywhere near the end game….
No, I never finished saving father quest, for some reason he wouldn't accept that antiradine thing, donno if it's a bug or I was doing something wrong.
I instead decided to go to olympus cause I didn't know wtf to do anymore, killed everyone there and gradually progressed through the tower and killed the boss. Even after getting like 4k exp from him, I was still lvl 15, was close to another level up though.

Saduj

Arcane
I'm level 10 and know what I need to do to get into Olympus but I'm stuck on a bunch of quests. Not sure if I need to start pumping points into Speech, which I did not tag.

In NWO, I can't find any leads on the thief other than the general clue that it should be someone small. I also can't find the machine part. And I've talked to everyone about a successor to the mayor but apparently haven't triggered the right speech to get credit for it.

I also can't get into Livos. I've found the robot hand but still can't convince the old man to let me in.

The only alternative to finishing these quests seems to be grinding up random encounters until I can fight my way into Olympus. Am I missing some obvious stuff here or is it right to assume I need to invest in Speech?

Alphons

Cipher
In NWO, I can't find any leads on the thief other than the general clue that it should be someone small

Hint: It's not a local. You have to catch him in the act.
Wait until midnight in the factory and then go outside to the storage area (near doctor's office). It doesn't always spawn, so you might have to repeat it couple times.

I also can't find the machine part.

Hint: Someone tried to improve the machine but is a massive retard. Talk to him.
Mayor's son and his friend. Talk to them about improving the factory. You can also talk to the mechanic and help jury rig a new part.

I also can't get into Livos. I've found the robot hand but still can't convince the old man to let me in.

I was let in while doing the water quest for NWO.

I talked with one of the merchants at the table about water and convinced him that I can repair the purifier. I think you can also go to Oasis, recover the Constitution and blackmail the old guy.

The only alternative to finishing these quests seems to be grinding up random encounters until I can fight my way into Olympus. Am I missing some obvious stuff here or is it right to assume I need to invest in Speech?

There's another way in.

At Jackals, talk to tribal looking guy and help him on a hunt. He'll give you a new location, where you can either complete a quest or kill the guy and his girlfriend for Herald's robe.

Saduj

Arcane
The tips were very helpful. But any solution that mentioned talking to people are examples where I'm missing speech options. I was able to get the machine part by stealing, which requires a much higher skill than it should considering the point in the game where you get that quest. Still considering saving skill points and wasting a perk at level 12 on Tag so I can get my Speech up....

I have most of the NWO quests finished now and the mayor asked me to talk to his family to get them to stop fighting. I still have the quest that involves talking to the mayor's family about his successor. Seems odd to have two "talk to these people" quests involving the same people especially since the root cause behind both issues is the same (Daniel's idiocy). The machine part and lavash quests in NWO are also basically the same thing.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, so today I finished Olympus 2207. Some spoilers ahead, but I kept it to a minimum.

My character reached level 14, 6/8/6/6/10/10/2. +1 to str and luck thanks to Mr. Potatos I found. I maxed out small guns, energy weapons, lockpick and speech, also increased science and repair (I found some use for the latter, but no use for the former).

While my PC proved to be quite optimized for this particular campaign (lots of uses for speech and lockpick) and managed to hold his own against all enemies, I must say I did not have such a great time. The beginning was frustratingly difficult. Every battle seemed too hard, the structure of many quests was reminiscent of adventure games (reliant on a single item that is hidden somewhere in the world, with few other solutions). I was constantly cock-blocked everywhere I went and when finally I moved to another town in search for something else to do, the radiation became a pain in the ass. Despite all these Russian-style elements of "fuck you" design I persevered and after gaining several levels reached a moment in which all these elements lost meaning. Radiation no longer bothered me, because I was drowning in anti-radiation medicine. Combat became easier first when I found smgs and assault rifles and then mastered energy weapons. The only challenging combats remained: chimeras, Osca demons and of course, the garrison of Olympus itself. Still, there was nothing good old tactics of shooting, running away, shooting some more could not beat. Although I must say, Olympus was the only Fallout game which I finished pumped up with drugs for much needed hps, action points, and damage resistance. Without constant overdosing on these military-grade chems I would have a much more difficult time.

Despite that still there was little fun to be found. The story of Olympus was not particularly interesting, the subplot of my father suffering from radiation sickness never really went anywhere (I managed to heal him and he never did anything of use, and neither did my brother, who can become a companion only when you allow the old man to die). For some reason despite patrolling the Radius exhaustingly, I never met the Lumenieres (or however they're called) so I did not get to know the good guys of the setting. The other settlements were okay, but nothing special. The raider one, the drug lord one, the old vault one, agricultural one - they all filled the role of post-apocalyptic archetypes, but had little character of their own. Worldbuilding is generally a weak side of Olympus. Choosing to set the game in a completely different universe from Fallout proved to be a bad decision - these guys could not use the established lore and at the same time seemed unable to come up with an interesting one on their own.

The only truly unique part of the experience was climbing up the skyscraper itself, solving quests and puzzles on the way, dealing with different, competing departments and finally saying "fuck that shit" and killing all the assholes from the upper floors in one long bloodrage. The final confrontation wasn't difficult or memorable - we get to know the main villain right before exterminating him, so there are really not many reasons for hate between us. I despised the mad doctor from one of the lower floors much more (the one who was experimenting on women from Tartarus).

Visuals sure are a strong aspect of Olympus. Lots of unique assets were added by the Olympus team, including some great talking heads. Armor and weapons design is also top-notch. The game comes with its original soundtrack with a few nice songs.

All in all, while I respect all the hard work that went into this total conversion I'd grade Olympus below Fallout: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada. Despite not being so shiny, they do a much better job at immersing me in their worlds and making me care. I'm really looking forward to the English translation of Fallout: Sonora now. Hope the guys who made Nevada manage to deliver once more.

Last edited:

dumbuglyorc

Educated
I started this game in 640x480 resolution, because that looks the best for Fallout IMO. the first thing I do, is try to open the diary mah momma gave me, and it causes the game to crash to desk. I relaunch, get back into the game, and am greeted with a warning saying my crap taste in resolutions isn't supported, and I should play at least in 800x600 or except crashes. Fine enough, I switch the resolution to 800x600 and try again.

This time I open the diary and it works fine. Then I open one of the strongboxes in the room, and CTD. Huh, I get back into the game, save before touching the strongbox, and this time it opens fine. I pick some stuff, loot the other box, too, and then I talk to my bro.

He tells me he is being bullied.

I say I'll help him kick the shit out of the bully, but he refuses.

I tell him he is a gay bitch for not wanting to fight.

The conversation then ends, rather abruptly to my tastes. I initiate a new convo with him, and it looks like this:

Olympus-Experience.jpg

I pick Error #3, and it's CTD again.

Is this normal for everybody, or is there perhaps something funky going on with my installation?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I started this game in 640x480 resolution, because that looks the best for Fallout IMO. the first thing I do, is try to open the diary mah momma gave me, and it causes the game to crash to desk. I relaunch, get back into the game, and am greeted with a warning saying my crap taste in resolutions isn't supported, and I should play at least in 800x600 or except crashes. Fine enough, I switch the resolution to 800x600 and try again.

This time I open the diary and it works fine. Then I open one of the strongboxes in the room, and CTD. Huh, I get back into the game, save before touching the strongbox, and this time it opens fine. I pick some stuff, loot the other box, too, and then I talk to my bro.

He tells me he is being bullied.

I say I'll help him kick the shit out of the bully, but he refuses.

I tell him he is a gay bitch for not wanting to fight.

The conversation then ends, rather abruptly to my tastes. I initiate a new convo with him, and it looks like this:

Olympus-Experience.jpg

I pick Error #3, and it's CTD again.

Is this normal for everybody, or is there perhaps something funky going on with my installation?

Something funky. I did not have nearly as many ctds during my playthrough. Maybe 1 or 2, if I remember correctly.

Modron

Arcane
Olympus in general doesn't like low resolutions; below their expected resolutions things like the crafting menu won't open and the in game popup when resolution is too low does say something about stability IIRC. Olympus in general is too zoomed out anyways so I went with the yuger resolutions and 2x scaling option enabled above and haven't had any crashes myself.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Olympus in general doesn't like low resolutions; below their expected resolutions things like the crafting menu won't open and the in game popup when resolution is too low does say something along crashes IIRC. Olympus in general is too zoomed out anyways so I went with the yuger resolutions and 2x scaling option enabled above and haven't had any crashes myself.

Yeah, I played 1920x1080 on a large screen, with 2x scaling. Maybe that's the issue.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, I don't really feel like catching up with this whole thread, seeing as a lot of it is about technicalities and so on, so: is this good and worth my time? I was planning to take a dip into Fallout mods, heard about this one...

Alphons

Cipher
It's good, but out of the 3 I've played (Nevada, Resurrection and Olympus) it is the most annoying one.

Traveling anywhere irradiates you, so you have to constantly keep loads of meds to deal with it (in the entire game there's only one location where you can ask doctor to heal it).

Equipment in stores is level scaled, including pre-war ammo which gives you extra damage. Handmade cartridges give you a penalty to damage- I had to shoot a rat 3 times to kill it with handmade cartridges, after switching to pre-war ammo I killed them in 1 shot.

Quests are mostly on the basic side (but there're some complex ones like tracking a thief or missing part), companions are very basic.

Devs wanted to make a new world with it's own history, separate from Fallout's. I personally don't think they have completely succeeded.

Good things- new sprites look great. Entire Fallout arsenal was replaced and aside from the ammo problem combat is OK.

Locations are fun to explore and have plenty of different endings. They're affected by your actions and Karma.

You can finish the game without killing anyone or kill everyone.

I've played it 3 times and I'd say 1 more playthrough would be enough to see everything.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Okay, I don't really feel like catching up with this whole thread, seeing as a lot of it is about technicalities and so on, so: is this good and worth my time? I was planning to take a dip into Fallout mods, heard about this one...
After playing this, Resurrection and Nevada I find Olympus the worst total conversion of the three. It has lots of cool new art, survival mechanics are interesting (although you quickly make them irrelevant with abundance of radaways) but they should have stayed in the Fallout universe, because their own post-apo setting and lore kind of sucks.

It's quite difficult, especially in the beginning, but there are enemies (monsters and humans) still posing a serious threat in the endgame. Endboss on the other hand is a complete wimp. The quest structure and general map design cockblocks you far too often and you and advancing the obscure story is harder than it could have been.

The story itself is not really engaging and the few plotlines that have potential (like curing your father from radiation sickness) never go anywhere interesting.

Still, it's worth a playthrough. But only after you completed superior TCs.

This was on my backlog for quite awhile while waiting for the English version and I forgot it got an English patch until I was reminded going through Warlockracy videos on Fallout mod.

Just finished this for the first time. Feels conflicted.

The highest praise I can give it is for the art design and music. This is the best looking Fallout 2 conversion with a lot of fresh assets that aren't just standard Fallout 1/2 models. Everything fits together visually very well.

Combat progress felt a bit like a dud. The common custom ammo rounds are so pathetic in damage values they might as well not exist in the first place, and given the concept of what prewar rounds are they are very sparsely ever carried in merchant inventories - even when accounting for the fact that merchant inventories are level scaled (decline). This game has a lot of neat new weapons for each skill but they are distributed in a way that doesn't feel very good. For 75% of the game my most effective weapon was a bb/pellet rifle it outperformed pretty much all of my other weapons until I got the sniper rifle.

Inventory management is much more of a hassle in this.

Felt like skill checks were very sparse outside of lockpicking which has an overabundance of checks in the game.

Exploration was a bit of a let down. There wasn't much in the way of multilevel hostile maps like the military bases in Nevada. Can't say much about the unique/special encounters either as only one ever spawned for me.

Settlements are fairly sparse with few side quests compared to other conversion mods. Two of the towns being generic tough guy raider factions doesn't help much.

The main plot doesn't really go anywhere interesting.

DesolationStone

Educated
I have started a part-time translation of this mod from Russian to Italian, just for fun and for improving my Russian. It will be a long journey and probably less than 100 people will be interested in this translation, but it will certainly be an interesting job.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have started a part-time translation of this mod from Russian to Italian, just for fun and for improving my Russian. It will be a long journey and probably less than 100 people will be interested in this translation, but it will certainly be an interesting job.
May I ask why did you learn/are learning russian though? Just of sheer curiosity or something else?
Wish I could help with translation, but I don't know Spanish at all.
Godspeed and good luck to you.

Last edited:

CharacterNik

Novice
May I ask why did you learn/are learning russian though? Just of sheer curiosity or something else?
Wish I could help with translation, but I don't know Spanish at all.
Godspeed and good luck to you.
Why do You need Mexican language in Russian to Italian translation?

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Educated
I'm studying Russian at university. The main reason is that I've been curious about Eastern Europe and the Russian world since primary school. The language isn't as terrible as people thought, the main problem are the verbs (not the verbal system, which is literally a joke compared to Italian) and the phonetic system, which is completely different from any Western European language, something I'll probably never really learn and master

Beans00

Erudite
What the fuck do I do to fix the water pump for the 'lavash'??

I guess the tutorial is optional so maybe I shouldnt be bitching about it but holy shit this is the most soul crushingly terrible area in any game I've ever played. All npc's run around like they're on pcp so it's a pain in the ass to talk to anyone. I found one part to the water pump in a car trunk. Google is also useless since only probably 200 people have played this autistic shit mod.

I'm completely bewildered by the tutorial in this game. This has given me a completely new perspective on irenicus's dungeon, hommlet, fucking vault 101.

e- I figured it out, but the tutorial sucks and the decision to put the end game area in the middle of the map is retarded. Took me like 10 minutes of dying to patrols to get to the metro station or w.e

Last edited:

Beans00

Erudite
So I just beat the game, I was putting it off for a long time since I thought it looked bad and didn't expect to like it. After an awful opening section it did get better and I ended up mostly enjoying myself. However I would agree with Lord_Potato it is clearly worse then nevada or 1.5.

I would say it's clearly easier then 1.5, fallout 2 and nevada. Maybe close in difficulty with nevada but nevada is much stingier with giving you overpowered weapons.

It's shorter then nevada, or even 1.5. I would estimate it took me 20-22 hours?

The biggest challenge was fighting the weight limit, for most of the game it was a complete struggle to hold weapons ammo anti rad drugs.

I sort of fucked myself, I wanted to do fast shot big guns but that wasnt viable for a long time, I only had 6 str but it was much longer to get power armour then I anticipated. Ended up using a high powered BB gun for probably the first half of the game as my main weapon.

image.png

Funny, drugs keep stacking, so at the end I took like 7 'combatid' and had like 22-30 action points while clearing the olympus tower.

I ended the game at level 19, I purposely left my outdoorsman low until the end to get more encounters. I gained like 2.5 levels clearing the olympus tower though
image.png

At the end I had 2 miniguns, and an automatic .50 cal rifle. I used my brother as a 275 pound ammo mule basically
image.png

The .308 minigun(the one in my item 2 slot) weighs 67 pounds fully loaded with 400 .308 fmj.

Never used energy weapons, too heavy, ammo too expensive, ammo too scarce. Never used flamer, gun and ammo WAY too heavy. Never used rockets or grenades, too heavy + scarce aswell.

Good quality ammo is way too heavy and way too expensive. As Ol' Willy pointed out. My minigun only cost me like 1300, but to fill it up with good quality ammo would cost like 3-4.5 grand. Which is insane. Cheap ammo doesnt weigh anything, which I guess is a bug but it's also useless against anything with armour. Also carrying around multiple suits of armour is retarded, Power armour should 100% have rad resist. I had to lug 2 sets of armour, later 3 around.

Economy management was fun though, but like i said some parts ridiculous.

Equipment shops are level scaled, which is retarded in this type of game. So you need to wait until level 9-10 to get an anti rad suit.

Most of my enjoyment came just from it being an additional fallout game. The main story and side quests left alot to be desired. Sometimes there were multiple solutions but alot of the time the quests frankly weren't interesting at all.

Think I did like 90% of the quests? There were a few that bugged or maybe I messed up something but I basically did everything.

Lockpick , speech and repair were the only consistently useful non combat skills.

image.png

c ya

Don't regret playing it, but unlike 1.5 and nevada which i've beaten 2 times each. This isn't something I'll ever replay.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Hello! Here's the story of a little boy and his wee tiny corkscrew.

And this is how the rising of the people begins.
1evolutionofrevolution.jpg

But who could have predicted what wholesome family affair the revolution would become?
2wholesome.jpg

So, you like bullying my bro, huh? Eat led, punk.
3shootbully.jpg

Now this is what I'd call a proper game of Pop-A-Mole!
4popamole.jpg

The top dog and his achievements.
5boystomen.jpg

I was still feeling it, so, just to make things extra weird, I decided to cap my dad and lil' bro while at it.
6family.jpg

She's a cripple, almost dead, recently widowed, yet her smile stays carefree and she makes the effort for bedtime stories. This brave woman is the true hero of this story.
7bedtime.jpg

It's ten years later, I wake up with my trusty gun next to me, roll off the bed, and... what the?! "D- Dad? Is that really you? B- Bro? How can this be happening?"
8rudeawa.jpg

Cheating or extra mods? No.
Savescumming? No.
Cheese? Yes, please!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom