Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oldblivion - running TES4 without a hyper-graphics card

sheek

Arbiter
http://www.oldblivion.com/

So I could probably play Oblivion if I wanted to. But I don't. :wink:

Hope this helps someone out.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Looks like they get some pretty decent results to. Might give it a go on my work computer which has a Radeon 7000 - but that may be a bit too old :) Would also need to get a no CD patch as I hate having to carry a disc around with me, and there's no way I'm buying another copy.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
sheek said:
http://www.oldblivion.com/

So I could probably play Oblivion if I wanted to. But I don't. :wink:

Hope this helps someone out.

You just helped out 2 guys here, that picked up the PC version but had old cards so it can't run.They are going to try it tonight, will get feedback and post their results.

This is pretty amazing though.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I used this program when I attempted to run Oblivion on my friend's computer, with Geforce 3 Ti. The attempt was very successful. The oldoblivion made the game use the older 1.x shaders, and apart from some bugs and lags, the game is running pretty good. Took a bit of tweaking around in the config file to get it running properly, of course.

LlamaGod

Cipher
XP only games are for jackasses

The game also looks alot better without all that light bloom and other super shiney shit

Atrokkus

Erudite
The game also looks alot better without all that light bloom and other super shiney shit
WEll... only partly so. Light bloom - the sunlight effect - is a very good touch, but in Oblivion it's a bit... overworked. Too much light intensity, and sometimes in wrong places. But overall, the effect adds to the realism, if done right.
Without bloom it would only make sense to have clouds permanently in the sky, as on a rainy day.

tetsuo

Scholar
the funny thing is this guys managed to get most of the shaders working in a month and that without knowledge of the sourcecode. bethesta could have done this in under a week but somehow they decided it would be better to make the game shader 2.0 only this wasnt necessary and a bad move for fx users for example .They even had the shader 1.1 ,1.3 path allready implemented in the engine (this project wouldnt be possible without that) but they didnt implement the shaders for it, maybe they got payed from some console, gfx companies to get more people to buy new hardware /consoles?

sheek

Arbiter
tetsuo said:
the funny thing is this guys managed to get most of the shaders working in a month and that without knowledge of the sourcecode. bethesta could have done this in under a week but somehow they decided it would be better to make the game shader 2.0 only this wasnt necessary and a bad move .They even had the shader 1.1 ,1.3 path allready implemented in the engine (this project wouldnt be possible without that) but they didnt implement the shaders for it, maybe they got payed from some console, gfx companies to get more people to buy new hardware /consoles?

Do you think Bethesda and companies like that do (unofficial) deals with the PC hardware industry? I've heard people say that but I don't know if this really goes on.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I am always amazed at these kinds of projects that really mess with the intestines of a program - always seems like magic to me.

tetsuo

Scholar
sheek said:
tetsuo said:
the funny thing is this guys managed to get most of the shaders working in a month and that without knowledge of the sourcecode. bethesta could have done this in under a week but somehow they decided it would be better to make the game shader 2.0 only this wasnt necessary and a bad move .They even had the shader 1.1 ,1.3 path allready implemented in the engine (this project wouldnt be possible without that) but they didnt implement the shaders for it, maybe they got payed from some console, gfx companies to get more people to buy new hardware /consoles?

Do you think Bethesda and companies like that do (unofficial) deals with the PC hardware industry? I've heard people say that but I don't know if this really goes on.

well how should i know? but it sounds likely somehow ,just look at the sales the game sells like sliced bread, and if you look at the tes boards there are many idiots who bought new hardware or a xbox just for oblivion.fact is it would have been very easy for bethesta to make this game playable on lower end machines oldbivion proves that but they didnt do it.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
LlamaGod said:

Get ready for Windows "vista" games only starting fall next year.
Upgrade or play not the new titles is what developers are saying.

First example: Crysis - thought it may be backwards compatable, but wont look like it does in the screenshots/videos released.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Daigoji_Gai said:
First example: Crysis - thought it may be backwards compatable, but wont look like it does in the screenshots/videos released.

Bernd Diemer said:
Everything you've seen has been running on DX9 and normal hardware you can get in the shops right now.

From one of the recent interviews.

GhanBuriGhan said:
I am always amazed at these kinds of projects that really mess with the intestines of a program - always seems like magic to me.

Indeed...when doom 3 was released i heard someone managed to get it running on an old voodoo3 card? Something like that anyway.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Daigoji_Gai said:
LlamaGod said:

Get ready for Windows "vista" games only starting fall next year.
Upgrade or play not the new titles is what developers are saying.

Vista is going to be even worse, because it sounds like an incredibly shitty OS. I'm not much of a fan of XP, but Vista sounds absolutely retarded as shit.

Do they get paid to do this shit or something? Some sort of Xbox deal with microsoft?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Vista has the chance of flopping big time. I mean, jesus christ, have you seen the recommended requirements? You'd have to turn off most of the super-hyped shit just to get it to run on average hardware. Was there really a need for 3D menus with shadows and all that other shit?

I think Crysis is going to backwards compatible (Though it has a large chance of being Vista-only) but Halo2 is going to be vista-only. I can see microsoft making all it's titles vista only after the first couple of months just trying to get support for the OS, which probably won't be that popular in the beginning, due to the insane system requiriments and the lack of a need for it.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
Do they get paid to do this shit or something? Some sort of Xbox deal with microsoft?

You want the official BS line or the truth. I'll give you the truth... you know the BS line.

The truth is, deals are struck. That is why you see "this game runs best on NVIDIA or ATI" on modern PC game boxes.

When a vendor comes to you and says "Hey here's free hardware for you to develop on"
You will find most developers (unless they have personal preferences) latch on and optimize the game "better" for that manufacturer.

Also, you will soon see computers appearing with "Ready for Vista" logos on them as well as some games that say "vista compat"....

So.. to answer your question... sort of... I hate to admit it, but sort of.

Dogsoup

Scholar
Just fucking upgrade your stuff. I'm waiting for money. Then I'll buy a DVD player. Yeah.
The game is crap for it doesn't run on my C64. Yeah man, whatever.

Dogsoup

Scholar
Fallout is shit for I can't boot it on my Sinclair ZX81. Are you people really fucking dumb or are you just role-playing?

Deathy

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Plz notify me when someone makes a patch enabling the game to run on a chip without SSE.

What the fuck kind of CPU are you using? SSE has been on intel processors since the Pentium 3 and on AMD processors since the Athlon XP was introduced in 2001

You can't really expect a NEXT GENERATION!!!!`!!1~ game to run on 5+ year old hardware.

tetsuo

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:
I have been playing Oblivion with a Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB!

lol yeah im running it on a geforce 4 ti 4800 128mb and it looks and runs fine, and i really dont get whats so next gen about this game? i mean far cry looked better 2! years ago and its hardware requirements where also mutch lower , for some reson or another bethesta made the hw requirements way to high .

Oarfish

Prophet
Vista apps are oging to fucking suck too, the new UI framework lets you style applications as flexibly as a flash app.

So its going to be a clusterfuck of inconsistent spinny windows and 3d company logos flying around everywhere. Hopefully someone will come up with hacks to inject non fuckwitted stylesheets.

Kraken

Scholar
I'm curious on how many will switch to Vista right away. There are still tons of people using Windows 2000, and for almost everything but games or graphic programs, that is just fine.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Deathy said:
What the fuck kind of CPU are you using? SSE has been on intel processors since the Pentium 3 and on AMD processors since the Athlon XP was introduced in 2001
I have an Athlon 1400.
Hey, if FEAR can run on my computer with no problems, I expected Oblivion at least to show me the main menu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom