Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview with Gavin

LlamaGod

Cipher
The Elder Scrolls games are the" Final Fantasy"s of the PC or something.

Mainstream, lame, not really an RPG and a horde of retarded fans.

Data4

Arcane
LlamaGod said:

Eh... well, I'll agree about 75%. Elder Scrolls games are at least more free-roaming than Final Fantasy. Plus, you can't say that no two Final Fantasy experiences are 100% the same.

I'm an Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm not a "fanboi". I liked the series from the beginning, not because it was the definitive rpg game series, but because I had fun playing the games. I'm not a hardcore rpger, but I do appreciate substance over glamour. I fear that, despite the damage control pumped out by Bethesda, Oblivion WILL be a dumbed down graphical tech demo.

As has been said here many times over, they're caving to the lowest common denominator and the mass console market. It's all about the money. Love of games my ass. No developer can ever play and enjoy their own creation like the fans can, but they can make money off of it. I understand and appreciate the financial aspects of that, but damned if the consumer in me is a little pissed. Console gamers in general are... well... fucking idiots, and the elitist bastard in me feels that if you CAN'T format a floppy disk in DOS, you aren't qualified to play a home video game.

I guess I'm just embittered by the whole accessibility thing pioneered by the likes of AOL, et al. It used to be that computers, networking, and pc gaming in general was the domain of the intelligensia (yeah, yeah, the GEEKS! Be proud... for we are a dying breed). Now any dumbfuck with a HP and a phoneline has access to this domain, and the overall quality of it has suffered greatly.

Damn... didn't mean to ramble.

-D4

Twinfalls

Erudite
LlamaGod said:

Hmm. No wit, doesn't seem like mere provocation. So....
That's really just daft.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Data4 said:
Eh... well, I'll agree about 75%. Elder Scrolls games are at least more free-roaming than Final Fantasy. Plus, you can't say that no two Final Fantasy experiences are 100% the same.

This is preposterous. There is utterly no comparison. I cannot believe Llamagod's idiotic comment is being dignified with any level of contemplation.

Gwendo

Augur
Final Fantasy games have a story and purpose. Dialogues and charismatic characters.

Something Bethesda's games don't have. Let's see if Oblivion will, at least, start to invert that fact.

And a game should not be judged by its fans. To tell the truth, I've seen more retarded Morrowind fanboys that FF's...

I'm far from being an RPG hardcore gamer (I don't even remeber the last game I've finished) or a geek, although I don't see myself as a casual gamer too. I can tell one thing: FF games kept me hooked. Morrowind never got me hooked. After playing it a couple of hours after installation, and tried again in the next day, to give it a fair chance, I've uninstalled it.

What an uninspired game. Soulless game.

But the game was very hyped. Lot's of people had already pre-ordered game. Some others bought it without knowing it, just misled by hyping reviews in magazines. Others, since they spent money on it, just decided to get used to it and learn to like it. But since I'm no teenager anymore, and my time is precious and scarce for playing, can't give myself to that luxure of wasting my time.

Will I try Oblivion? Yes. I'm that idiot to think that Bethesda will do a better work now. Let's see...

Twinfalls

Erudite
Riiight.

Okay, this is some kind of conspiracy. Or I've been teleported to Idiot World.

Mech

Cipher
Twinfalls said:
Riiight.

Ya, it's called Earth unfortunatly. I've been teleported here too. ;(

But seriously, what you are seeing is the idiots who visit the TES forums. Pretty sad.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mech said:
Are they sell outs? Of course they are.

How exactly does one become a sell out when the whole point of their entire company was, and ever will be, to sell things?
I thought their goal was to make games, not to "sell things", but apparently I was wrong.

I would be a lot happier knowing a lot of people played and enjoyed the game I spent time and time creating, then knowing a few guys living in their parent's basement loved it.

Ya, exactly. No one cares about the basement freaks, and with good reason.
It looks like Beth does. After all, judging by their forums, most of their customers are teens whose parents are paying for games.

Gwendo

Augur
Kids are easy to manipulate and hype, so it's a lost cause to try to convince Bathesda that they should really try to make a good game, that pleases more serious gamers.

kathode

Novice
Developer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They have to be reported as new-and-exciting-and-like-totally-exclusive contest by somebody else first though. As you know, we only repost what other sites put on their front pages, we are way too lazy to do anything else*

*some exceptions apply.
For example, I feel that your brilliant statement "when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you’re talking about bows" didn't receive a proper attention when the interview was first posted, so what I did wasn't technically a repost, it was a window into the exciting world of Gavin Carter.

Surlent

Liturgist
Is this the prophecied doom of the whole Internet ? When no new information is generated and we are left only with excessive spam of the same Oblivion interview ?

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm not sure how we can be expected to tell one Oblivion interview from another. They tend to get pretty repetitive anyways.

Data4

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Data4 said:

This is preposterous. There is utterly no comparison. I cannot believe Llamagod's idiotic comment is being dignified with any level of contemplation.

My apologies. I am new, and while I am a cynic in my own right, I've yet to reach the heights of this place. But hey, there's still time.

Mech said:
Twinfalls said:
Riiight.

Ya, it's called Earth unfortunatly. I've been teleported here too. ;(

But seriously, what you are seeing is the idiots who visit the TES forums. Pretty sad.

Me? Yeah, I post there, but I disassociate myself from most of the people there. Were it not for the fact that I care too much about not getting banned there, I'd call every ass-kissing, sycophantic, moron there exactly what they are. Posts such as the all too prevelant "We owe Bethesda our souls!" type make me want to puke. Bethesda owes US, the people who pay them money to entertain us. While levels of cynicism may very, we all as consumers have the right to bitch, moan, groan, and nitpick to our heart's content. I'm fine with paying compliments where due, but shit... these kids there think that Bethesda are donating the time and resources to make the game out of altruism.

I mean really... if the menu says "Porterhouse", and I pay $50 bucks for it, don't hand me some fucking ground chuck and call it next generation innovation.

Of course, I'm going to buy Oblivion. I just that much of an optimist.

-D4

Zli

Novice
Data4 said:
Twinfalls said:
Me? Yeah, I post there, but I disassociate myself from most of the people there. Were it not for the fact that I care too much about not getting banned there, I'd call every ass-kissing, sycophantic, moron there exactly what they are.

And calling them that would be the understatement of the year...
I mean, whenever a dev posts you have something like:
fanboi no.1: i've just wet my pants
fanboi no.2: me too, but it's not pee
fanboi no.3: lol :)

I'm surprised Beth employees haven't had any stalkers yet. For anyone older than thirteen to be posting stuff like that is a bit disturbing.

Granted, there are some decent folks there, and they're probably embarrassed as hell whenever they see this, but most people on the official boards don't seem very stable. Or literate.

Data4

Arcane
Zli said:
Data4 said:
Twinfalls said:
Me? Yeah, I post there, but I disassociate myself from most of the people there. Were it not for the fact that I care too much about not getting banned there, I'd call every ass-kissing, sycophantic, moron there exactly what they are.

And calling them that would be the understatement of the year...
I mean, whenever a dev posts you have something like:
fanboi no.1: i've just wet my pants
fanboi no.2: me too, but it's not pee
fanboi no.3: lol :)

I'm surprised Beth employees haven't had any stalkers yet. For anyone older than thirteen to be posting stuff like that is a bit disturbing.

Granted, there are some decent folks there, and they're probably embarrassed as hell whenever they see this, but most people on the official boards don't seem very stable. Or literate.

I'll agree with you there, on all counts. I know of a few people there who deserve a little respect. But wait... it's worse. The community forum there absolutely sucks. Bunch of whining brats, with a few older people serving as the matronly types because they can't get self-validation elsewhere. In fact, I'd name one in particular who I've had the misfortune of following (not on purpose) over various fora until she found her place at the ESF where people buy her sanctimonious bullshit.

Whoa tangent! Whoa boy!

-D4

Roger P

Novice
LlamaGod said:

Lol, somebody is bitter about the lack of Gothic 3 coverage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom