Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 Drops DM Client!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You know ... multiplayer only games had very low sales figures.

I am not talking about MMORPGs that are a diferent beast, sure we now have some "multiplayer" games that happen to be ... FPS."

That's your problem. I'm talking about MMORPGs. They'rr walking proof that a game doesn't need a SP component to be successful.

This idea that a game NEEDS SP to make money is WRONG.

P.S. I wasn't able to play NWN1 'til the first patch came out due to my computer; but I remember haing very little problems with bugs. The only one I really had was the morphing bug in MP where you character would go into another body due to immense lag.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
And with the original, the biggest selling points were the toolset and the single-player OC. Not the DM client. The DM client was an incredibly useful tool, don't get me wrong, and part of what's allowed NWN to be played in so many different ways but it's never been that widely used.

Except by every single author of every single player module ever created with your toolset. How do you test anything made with your "big selling point" and all important toolset without the DM Client. Do play everything single entire SP module from the begining every single time you want to test the smallest detail??. Did you play thru your entire single player game everything time you want to test anything? of course you did not, you used the DM client.

The toolset wasn't user friendly period. without the DM client the toolset was basically freaking useless, unless you could write scripts. every single person who bought your game and then used toolset to create their own modules used the DM client. Seperating the DMC while discussing the toolset is completely disengenuous, their uses were directly tied together.

While the multiplayer game function of the toolset was only used by people who want to try to emulate an actual D&D game, (go figure it *was* sold as a D&D game with that feature.)And those numbers are of course lower than drooling masses who just basically want to play linear adventure games ( your biggest customers). Trying to brush off the DM client with company lines like "biggest selling points" and " it just doesn't get used much" is a diservice to your own game. The DMC is one freaking thing that set NWN apart from everything else, I'd argue its the linchpin to the credibility of games success ( as the toolset is useless without it) dismissing it, just lumps NWN in with every other piece of crap out there,as all your left with is the stellar, barrel smashing, original campaign. If you had half a sack you'd be on the phone to obsidian demanding they put the friggin thing in the new game, just on principle.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Um. No. It's Obsidian (and Atari)'s call; not BIO's. They aren't making NWN2. BIO has more important things to do then whine to Obsidian about a sequel of one of their old games.

suibhne

Erudite
Dgaider said:
And with the original, the biggest selling points were the toolset and the single-player OC. Not the DM client. The DM client was an incredibly useful tool, don't get me wrong, and part of what's allowed NWN to be played in so many different ways but it's never been that widely used.

Er...no, not really. Dave, I still have on my old hard drive a teaser video for the original NWN that hyped the DM client equally with everything else. I even remember the phraseology you used, exhorting teh kiddies that NWN would allow them become the "all-powerful Dungeon Master" and lead their friends through adventures.

I have no idea how integral the DM client ended up being. But I do know it was hyped as one of the Holy Trinity of NWN: the SP OC, the toolset for creation, and the DM client for leading adaptive adventures with friends.

Scrotok

Novice
suibhne said:
Dgaider said:

Er...no, not really. Dave, I still have on my old hard drive a teaser video for the original NWN that hyped the DM client equally with everything else. I even remember the phraseology you used, exhorting teh kiddies that NWN would allow them become the "all-powerful Dungeon Master" and lead their friends through adventures.

I have no idea how integral the DM client ended up being. But I do know it was hyped as one of the Holy Trinity of NWN: the SP OC, the toolset for creation, and the DM client for leading adaptive adventures with friends.

I agree completely. Dave, I highly respect you for the awesome support over the years (including your Toolset Tutorial), but I have to say that I think BW's marketing figures are probably off a bit. I'm not a marketing expert, so I could be completely wrong, but sales figures of the game probably don't accurately measure how often the DM Client is used in MP games. How did BW determine that the DMC was never widely used?

In my opinion, the game was just like many others on the market at the time (Morrowind and Dungeon Siege come to mind) in the sense that it came with a Toolset. The critical difference was the DM Client -- that "holy trinity" was the #1 (and sole) reason I bought the game.

In addition, perhaps DM Client usage would have been higher (leading to higher sales figures) if it had been "done right" the first time -- something to ponder.

JP (Scrotok)

Kortalh

Liturgist
A very concise argument. And made none too soon. The quality of your post is certainly reflected in the five-month period of time that it took you to write it.

Fez

Erudite
His last post was started just before Atlantis sank. He said "I don't think you should pull that plug", but no one listened, perhaps because it was posted last year. Take heed the words of this great sage.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
R00fles!

Well.. old news; but at least NWN2 finally snuck the DMC in... too bad that while it's still a good game; it's been dissapointing alla round... :(

Scrotok

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
God damn necrophiliacs having sex with old threads.

Made ya look!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom