Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info NWN 1.68 now visible

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Quote the Codex (and this can go for any BIO D&D game): "WAAAAAAAAA! It's not full turn base combat! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Jasede said:
May I kindly inquire what, pray tell, is so butchered about the rules in NWN?

You would have a much shorter answer if you ask what is NOT butchered in NWN. You have to give up a lot of the mechanics to convert a turn-based system to real time. Also, a lot of the classes had to be rebalanced for a single player experience.

suibhne

Erudite
It's not just the TB stuff. In the most recent interview linked around here, even Sawyer specifically cited some of the big rule changes left over from NWN and basically said "Meh, I have to work with them because that's what I inherited."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Changing rules does not mean 'butchering', fools. It be like claiming that 3e butchered D&D rules. LOLLERS

Binary

Liturgist
Woetohice said:
Combat plays totally different between a game that sticks closer to the rules (TOEE) and one that's trying to be a Diablo with pause and slaps the D&D logo on it.

Daft. ToEE is as close to the D&D rules as NWN is. What has combat got to do with it?

I too prefer turn-based combat (and ToEE has my 2nd favorite RPG combat system ever), but please, I've heard the "NWN is crap because combat is real time" mantra going for too long.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. NWN is closer. Any game with a DMC is closer to the D&D rules than any other game. D&D is meant to be played with a live DM.

Period.

suibhne

Erudite
Binary said:
Daft. ToEE is as close to the D&D rules as NWN is. What has combat got to do with it?

Leaving aside Vol's unmoored comment about the DMC...how the heck do you get the fruity idea that NWN is as faithful a rules implementation as ToEE?

Just...wow.

Bio not only got rid of a lot, like any D&D CRPG, but they also made up a whole collection of feats and an entire combat mechanic out of thin air (one that the lead designer of NWN2 has criticized but admits he's stuck with). Show me a similar invention with ToEE and I'll cry uncle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom