Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Notes Toward an RPG Codex Authored CRPG Rule-Set

Jed

Cipher
Not necessarily arguing (because you're essentially right), but in seems in 3e Fighters as a class get a feat about every other level as compensation. I like you're suggested solution, linking skills more squarely to attributes (one thing I am arguing can be made deeper with more attributes), but I think another problem is that fighters don't get enough different or useful skills in general. Parry, anyone?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
XJEDX said:
but I think another problem is that fighters don't get enough different or useful skills in general. Parry, anyone?
I think that the number of "different and useful" skills a fighter gets should reflect a player's choice of a character. There should be a lot of different, balanced options available to build even a simple melee fighter other then picking high st, dx, cn. Every extra ability point gained should indicate a loss somewhere else but offer a reward justifying your choice and the sacrifice.

Megatron

Liturgist
Getting rid of strength?

here's my dumb and totally unecessary idea of getting rid of strength

I don't see the point in having something like strength if it's going to be a generic system. All people use it for in every rpg is carrying weight, and a fraction deciding on hitpoints. In fantasy it's used a lot, but otherwise it's not much use. So mabye instead of deciding on strength, why not switch it for something like endurance? That way you don't have to make as many 'rolls' for hp, making it more stream-lined. For carry-weight it's fine being able to lift it up, but what about running around the country-side for a few hours with a 150lbs backpack?

I don't see how this (getting rid of strength) would help in close combat though. Mabye agility could decide? Agile players can dance around, but there attacks would be weak and quick. Players with low agility are slower and deal out higher damage. So to decide if you hit goes towards the skill of the player. If you make a hit roll the damage of the weapon against armour to see if you penetrated it, then damage of the weapon+(agilityx10) ?

Just an idea, but having strength in anything other than fantasy is barely used unless you need to move something or arm-wrestle someone in a bar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom