Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Action RPG: The Way of the Sword

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Prisoner management? Now, that's a skill you don't see everyday. I like how it sounds. Hey, Armagan, can you tell us a bit about skills and what they are used for?

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Prisoner management? Now, that's a skill you don't see everyday. I like how it sounds. Hey, Armagan, can you tell us a bit about skills and what they are used for?

With Pleasure. There are several features of the game that I didn't mention at the site. I want to announce them one by one as the game nears completion. As for prisoner management, you can capture your enemies alive in the game and prisoner management skill determines how many prisoners you can have in your party. Prisoners may be needed for quests. Also, they are a major source of income. You can for example sell captured bandits and collect their bounty, or sell captured soldiers as galley slaves. When you defeat an enemy party, you can have their prisoners join your party. This is good, since regular soldiers in your party get killed every now and then and you usually have a need to fill up your ranks.

As a side note, the quoted passage from our site was not meant meant to criticise other games. I just wrote it to have some sort of starting point for the paragraph. Seeing that it can be annoying, I will change it to something better. And I like turn-based RPGs too. It's just I want to make a game that's completely different from anything we have played before.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Spellforce is an utterly garbage RTS with very little resemblance to an RPG. I think the game sounds a lot more like a real time tactical game with action in it and a bunch of other stuff thrown in - like a hybrid of some sort. Pirates! was kind of like that, and I'd be hard pressed to give it any genre definition aside from the fact that it had some form of resource management, action, and role playing.

In any case, need I remind you all that Gothic and Gothic 2 were both based on collision detection rather than statistics for combat? Gothic 2 being the superior game due to the much improved combat system, of course - Gothic was difficult to handle.

I'm curious as to what kind of role skills like weapon mastery and tactics play in the game, too. Perhaps new moves?

Would the captured soldiers/prisoners then be able to turn on you if your prisoner management skill wasn't high enough or if you treated them badly. That could be pretty sweet....

Vault Dweller

Developer
armagan said:
Prisoners may be needed for quests.
Can you give us an example of a quest involving prisoners other then selling, getting ransoms, and collecting bounties?

As a side note, the quoted passage from our site was not meant meant to criticise other games.
Well, we don't care if you criticize other games, we do that all the time :) Besides, you were wrong there, as way too many games use players' reflexes and coordination, so if you want to do something different, you picked the wrong combat mode :wink:

And I like turn-based RPGs too. It's just I want to make a game that's completely different from anything we have played before.
A worthy goal. What would make it different then, other then the combat? Also, what games with similar combat (first, third person, real time) have you played and what's your opinion on them? I'm just curious about your frame of reference.

What about your setting? Is it based on Turkish culture, folklore? That would be cool, btw.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Exitium said:
. Pirates! was kind of like that, and I'd be hard pressed to give it any genre definition aside from the fact that it had some form of resource management, action, and role playing.
Yes Pirates is the source of many of the game's features. It was a great game too, simple but addictive and incredibly fun to play.

I'm curious as to what kind of role skills like weapon mastery and tactics play in the game, too. Perhaps new moves?

No. The moves are fixed. But you can perform them faster with higher weapon mastery skill. Tactics determines how many men you take into battle. Normally if you have like 50 men in your party and your enemy has 100, the balance of numbers in the battle will be like 5 to 10. But with the tactics skill, you can get additional soldiers in battle.

Can you give us an example of a quest involving prisoners other then selling, getting ransoms, and collecting bounties?
You may need to capture an enemy hero for interrogation or for trading him for a captured friend.

Also, what games with similar combat (first, third person, real time) have you played and what's your opinion on them?
Ultima underworld 1 & 2, daggerfall, and more recently morrowind. Ultima underworld games were great. Daggerfall was an interesting idea but it lacked focus. Morrowind is an impressive game and it is much more focused too. Morrowind's action system BTW is practically the same as Ultima underworld's.

What about your setting? Is it based on Turkish culture, folklore? That would be cool, btw
Calradia is kind of like an east european land. It has lords, dukes, stone castles, etc. But the setting involves Khergits. They are based on Turco-mongol steppe people like Cumans or Kipchaks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
armagan said:
The moves are fixed. But you can perform them faster with higher weapon mastery skill.
How does that work if combat depends on players reflexes and coordination?

Tactics determines how many men you take into battle.
What's leadership then?

Morrowind is an impressive game and it is much more focused too.
Can you elaborate? What did you like in Morrowind, especially comparing to Daggerfall?

Calradia is kind of like an east european land.
Why not Turkish? I mean, eastern european-looking fantasy games are everywhere, they look the same, and many people are sick of them. A Turkish theme would be more interesting and definitely original. What about monsters and creatures? Your site mentions hellknights and zombies? Do you have anything from the local folklore?

To your first question VD, your attack could refresh faster. the speed at which you can refire a crossbow could speed up etc.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
armagan said:
The moves are fixed. But you can perform them faster with higher weapon mastery skill.
How does that work if combat depends on players reflexes and coordination?
Creature ai will have a harder time blocking your attack. Or your attack will hit him before his hits you.

What's leadership then?
That one determines how many men you can have in your party.

What about monsters and creatures? Your site mentions hellknights and zombies? Do you have anything from the local folklore?
There are only humans and undead of various kinds. It's kind of a realistic world.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Last question. Can you clarify something for me?

According to your prev posts, "tactics determines how many men you take into battle" and leadership "determines how many men you can have in your party". What's the difference between people in your party and people you take into battles? Supportive non-combat personnel?

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
The maximum number of combatants in a battle is limited, mostly in order to ease the strain on the graphics engine. Currently the limit is somewhere around 20. New soldiers enter combat only when someone is killed. Your quota for the battle is determined by the original size of your party and marginally by your tactics skill.

It was really fun talking with you guys. I will post a message here when our game is released.

Happy RPGing.
-armagan

AdrianWerner

Novice
Sounds nice. I always wanted to play a game with a world as big, nonlinear and quest-filled like Fallout, but with combat system like from fighting game

Stark

Liturgist
U guys forgot to ask him on the role playing aspect. how's dialogue handled? multiple way of answering with differing, meaningful results?

Stark

Liturgist
opps, just saw the dialougue option screen. so that's how dialogue handled. but still, does it play a part in the role playing?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I have to admit, the dialogue screen didn't impress me much at all either. Maybe it was the subject matter of the dialogue, but I hope there's a much greater level of interaction with people than that.

Stark

Liturgist
yohoo, the developer of this game, care to elaborate more on the game mechanics? your website gave very little hints to keep interest going.

Adraeus

Novice
I think the game's development is progressing nicely considering there's only two people working on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom