Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Necrotech goes freeware

Fez

Erudite
Tags: Necrotech

<A href="http://www.spectre-software.com">Spectre Software</a> have released <A href="http://www.spectresoftware.com/db/Necrotech/index.asp">Necrotech</a> - the bastard child of <a href="http://www.e-frontier.com/">Poser</a> and Deus Ex - as freeware for both the PC and the Mac. Here's what Pete King of Spectre Software had to say:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Apparantly some of you do as I sometimes receive emails about this futuristic RPG that I created a few years ago. It was published by GameThoughts but because they are now no longer in the games business I am going to release this game as freeware for anybody to enjoy, and theres more - I will also put up a Macintosh version!
<br>
<br>
Necrotech was an old school style RPG but set in the future. It had a twisting story line, with the player initially investigating the disappearance of his brother and gradually uncovering a frightening conspiracy as progress through the game was made. It used a unique and original RPG system that rewarded characters with a high intelligence with faster levelling up than more stupid characters, and had non combat skills such as climbing which allowed access to secret areas in the game or past certain difficult encounters.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Love it or hate it, it's now free to play.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
It seemed really linear. You start off in a restaurant and witness an altercation. One guy kills another or something and runs off, and the game automatically has you chasing him. The combat also seemed pretty poor, though turn-based for those interested, and I couldn't bring myself to play all that far into it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
battle-bots.jpg

edge of your seat

Shagnak

Shagadelic
dipdipdip said:
It seemed really linear. You start off in a restaurant and witness an altercation. One guy kills another or something and runs off, and the game automatically has you chasing him. The combat also seemed pretty poor, though turn-based for those interested, and I couldn't bring myself to play all that far into it.
Thanks for the reply dipdipdip.

Actually, I just tried downloading it to have a look for myself and I got this message:
We are very sorry but we only have 5gb of bandwidth per day available to us at Spectre Software and we have now hit that limit. We did not anticipate this file being this popular!

Please retry downloading the file in 24 hours time, when our bandwidth limit will have been lifted, and the file will be available again.

Thank you and please accept our sincere apologies.

Only allowed for 5 gigs of bandwidth? Good lord.

Fez

Erudite
Apparently the game opens up after the first mission to allow you more choices. The restaurant incident is supposed to be an introduction or tutorial to lead you into it.

Fez

Erudite
I hope no one here paid for it before now. Ouch.

istara

Novice
Well, I for one am enjoying Necrotech - it's free, so why complain? I also had to wait a day to download it, but managed to get it in the end.

However I am stuck. If anyone else is playing it:

- how do you get into the software company without stealth? (I am assuming the alarm gong off has disabled the keycard, because it won't work in the vault)

- how do you get into prison to find your brother?

- what's the deal with the grille that you can't open (in the Residential Sector)?

- how do you get past that damn great spider that just sprays bullets all over? I'm level 6 with all my characters, and still nowhere near to be able to kill it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

istara

Novice
Thank you but what ring? I haven't been given one or found one, just the keycard.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
istara said:
Thank you but what ring? I haven't been given one or found one, just the keycard.
There's a cave in the mountain. You have to go in there and look around for a small creature who has the ring. He'll drop it once you kill him (alternatively you can play a riddle game with him but it's usually easier just to kill the damn thing - it saves a lot of hassle in the long run).

By the way, welcome to the Codex istara!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Yes, but you forgot to mention that you'll be needing the magic carpet to reach that mountain cave. It can be obtained from the big chest in the lava dungeon (second floor).

obediah

Erudite
Role-Player said:
istara said:
it's free, so why complain?

True. We should never complain about free things, like a kick in the groin or getting AIDS. It's free!

Speek for yourself, I paid that dude $50 to inject me with his dirty needle - I mean that both ways he shot me up with his drug needle, while pounding out a home run in my pooper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom