Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mount & Blade goes multiplayer + HDR

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Mount & Blade

<a href="http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-8154-Paradox-Interactive-New-Titles-Announcement.html">According to GDN, Mount & Blade is getting an Expansion</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Mount & Blade Multiplayer Expansion Announced
<br>
<br>
The first expansion pack for the critically acclaimed Mount & Blade was demo’ed publically for the first time by developer Taleworlds and introduced a number of features that players have requested and which will vastly improve their enjoyment of the game;
<br>
<br>
* Improved strategic AI
<br>
* Extended diplomatic options allowing the player to wield more power
<br>
* State-of the-Art rendering technologies introduced for the first time, including the addition of High Dynamic Range (HDR)
<br>
* Brand new multiplayer feature including the ability for 32 players (possibly more – TBC) to play on a single map in team death-match style battles</blockquote>
<br>
For the bloom joke, <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29434">go here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Spectacle</b>!

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I'm regretting giving money to these fuckers more and more every week. When I bought M&B there was supposed to be a main quest in the final shipping product. When the shipping product finally came out it wasn't really different than the beta -- slightly more polished but still very unpolished. Now instead of finishing the fucking game they are making a multiplayer expansion. I don't care if it doesn't work all the servers, I am *so* pirating this, and I urge every other M&B player on the Codex (there are a whole bunch of you, right?) to do the same.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except the battles become boring on the 3rd day of playing. Which means that this sandbox failed and I even won't try to get me a people's version.

Balor

Arcane
Well, AI and diplomatic options sure sounds good enough - it will make the game much more interesting in the long run. Hopefully, at least.
As for multiplayer and HDR... who cares? I don't.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Taleworlds is starting to look like the EA of the indie community

Kraszu

Prophet
Fighting would be more interesting if you have a real goal for it. There main quest should be about rivaling factions, something that make world not static, and force you to make game changing decisions.

sheek

Arbiter
Multiplayer is exactly what this game needs.

The computer AI sucks, and the engine is not really designed for RPG or strategy or a long story which you should froget about.

Multiplayer definitely will play to its strengths.

I will definitely buy it as long as the HDR doesn't reduce performance too much

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
sheek said:

I bet the multi player will just be a deathmatch style battle simulator (sucky), and not the actual game with overland map with everyone playing at the same time (fucking awesome).

sheek

Arbiter
Jeff Graw said:
sheek said:

I bet the multi player will just be a deathmatch style battle simulator (sucky), and not the actual game with overland map with everyone playing at the same time (fucking awesome).
Of course that's what it'll be. What's wrong with that?

The only problem is your deluded expectations... which seems to be a new full length, full feature RPG. Get rid of your expectations and accept it for what it is.

Shannow

Waster of Time
AFAIK, there already is a HDR mod for it *shrug*
I must say, I'd rather see improvements to the than multiplayer...
Before I get any expantion, I'd like the finish the game first. I spent 2 weeks modding and 5 days playing the game. Ah well, maybe when I have more time.

somnium

Scholar
A little warning to all: the above link gives me a virus warning (Infected.WebPage.Gen). I use antivir if you need to know.

edit: Ignore the above post as it probably was a false positive.

Nedrah

Erudite
I got the same warning, but Antivir tends to be a little paranoid, as usually evidenced by checking stuff via totalvirus. Anyways, I'm quite looking forward to the expansion, although not exactly for the Multiplayer or HDR part. Instead I hope it will bring M&B a little closer to what I expected it to be at 1.0 - because, so far, this has been rather disapointing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
im assuming it's just an overland map without any castles and you just provoke other players war parties

I've read on another source that there will be 3 types of multi-player - deathmatch, team deathmatch and siege. I presume you will generate an army before fight or something.
Either way I can't see how it will be fun - with sieges at least - sieges and how AI acts on them are downright terrible.

sheek

Arbiter
skyway said:
Cloaked Figure said:
im assuming it's just an overland map without any castles and you just provoke other players war parties

I've read on another source that there will be 3 types of multi-player - deathmatch, team deathmatch and siege. I presume you will generate an army before fight or something.
Either way I can't see how it will be fun - with sieges at least - sieges and how AI acts on them are downright terrible.
Um... that's why they're bringing in Multiplayer?

The point of multiplayer is that you don't need AI, and multiplayer will always be better than any AI you could program... for variety definitely if not strategic quality, and almost always humans' strategic qualities will be better.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
sheek said:
Jeff Graw said:
sheek said:

Of course that's what it'll be. What's wrong with that?

The only problem is your deluded expectations... which seems to be a new full length, full feature RPG. Get rid of your expectations and accept it for what it is.

I want the fucking main quest I was promised when I bought the game.

Monocause

Arcane
M&B multiplayer sounds quite cool. Guess I'll have to take the dust off the CD again.

Jeff Graw, I followed M&B development and it wasn't a surprise to me that the native module's story was left in such a sorry state. From the update logs and developer posts it was quite clear that making this game a full RPG was never their aim, they intended to create a fun and realistic battle simulator with a setting that would somehow legitimise these battles, and more importantly, a simulator that would be an engine available to modding so that the players could multiply the fun themselves by throwing in elves, dwarves, Spaniards and lithuanian hitmen. I think they succeeded.

I lost interest in M&B some time ago but IIRC there were some story mods in production or already released. Maybe you should go to the file repository, look what's available and give some mods a try. Almost all of the mods I played had a better setting and were more fun to play than Calradia ;P

Jabbapop

Scholar
So this is just a patch they're going to be selling for about as much as you can buy the original game these days, right?

Dire Roach

Prophet
My guess is that the multiplayer mode will consist of simple tournament battles and sieges where each player controls no more than one character. I could see the game undergoing some sort of Eve Online-ish MMOification where the overland map is expanded and clans/guilds would be fighting for control over the territories, but that's probably nowhere near what the developers intend to do.

Shoelip

Arbiter
This seems like a joke.

Throughout development they said multiplayer was not going to happen unless Mount and Blade 2 got released. The game itself is just far too incomplete to warrant an expansion pack that you have to pay for. The full version feels like I got exactly what I paid for when I got the beta back at version .6 something.

The features of this sound like a large patch rather than an expansion. I'm just glad I didn't waste my money on a boxed copy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
sheek said:
skyway said:
Cloaked Figure said:

Um... that's why they're bringing in Multiplayer?

The point of multiplayer is that you don't need AI, and multiplayer will always be better than any AI you could program... for variety definitely if not strategic quality, and almost always humans' strategic qualities will be better.

Well I believe you will just command AI units. Knowing M&B's tactical possibilities (or lack of them) and dumb AI - the fights will be boring.

LazyD

Liturgist
MP for M&B?

Why am I still waiting for Darkfall then?

.....fuck darkfall.....

denizsi

Arcane
Unless they develop proper development tools and release full SDK to lure people into modding for the tech-demo, instead of the shitty scripting abilities, I don't see any long-term potential for the game other than going multiplayer. However, given the lack of creative vision of developers, I don't think they'll pull that off right either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom