Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most anticipated RPG's of 2008

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok, this really drives me crazy. All of these games are action rpg's and Im guessing only one of them will come out on the PC (Fallout 3).

None of these look like RPG's to me, so I wish the console people would stop calling them RPG's! Just call them action games!

Maybe we should come up with a new name for the hard core RPG's, since the term RPG has been raped into a graphical adventure game with a few stats thrown in.

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/2120/ ... f-2008/p1/

Raapys

Arcane
Age of Conan is the only one I'm looking forward to, simply because it's made by the guys that made Anarchy Online.

I agree though, the term RPG has been raped and abused too many times, and has thus lost all its meaning. If you buy an RPG now you only know that you'll get a game that has alot of Bloom in it.

yns88

Novice
You complain about lack of PC RPGs...in an article from TEAM XBOX?

JESUS CHRIST MAN WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? Of COURSE they're not gonna list PC RPGs, and since it's an (american) console system, it's pretty obvious that any 'RPG' will just be a mindless action game with stats. (note: on the PS3 all 'RPG's will just be cliched dramas with stats)

Suicidal

Arcane
Are there even any good mainstream RPGs that are going to be released in '08 at all? Only Dragon Age comes to mind but I doubt we'll see it in '08.

fastpunk

Arbiter
2007 was a great year for RPGs but 2008 doesn't announce too much. Dragon Age might be worth a look and so would Purgatorio for NWN2. Leaving RPGs aside, 2008 doesn't look like a particularly good year for other genres either. Eh, we'll see.

Hory

Erudite
Wow, FO3 actually appears to be the best RPG from that list. The other games seem so generic...

Deleted member 7219

Hopefully we might see another NWN2 expansion and a Witcher expansion in 2008. I very much doubt we'll ever see Dragon Age.

NiM82

Prophet
When you look at the depth in such games as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect, it’s obvious that the genre is evolving and improving. With those titles hitting the Xbox 360 and pulling in large audiences, it’s no surprise that there are more RPGs—and more good RPGs—to come.
:D
+1

Müg

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Age of Decadence.

Oh sorry... is that 2009?

Also, Grimoire.
2013 is my guess, after jupiter turns into a new sun most of his data will be wiped

Saxon1974

Prophet
yns88 said:

JESUS CHRIST MAN WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? Of COURSE they're not gonna list PC RPGs, and since it's an (american) console system, it's pretty obvious that any 'RPG' will just be a mindless action game with stats. (note: on the PS3 all 'RPG's will just be cliched dramas with stats)

So you don't think all these dev's teams working on console RPG's and then selling millions of copies to the kiddies is not going to affect how many PC RPG's get made in the next few years?

It was an article on RPGwatch. Im just irritated how the main bulk of development teams that are going "RPGs" are now working on consolized action RPG's and not only is that bad enough, but now they aren't even releasing them on the PC anymore. I posted this mostly out of frustration. Plus the use of "RPG" for alot of these games is retarded.

But then again, I don't think I would buy any of those even if they get release on the PC. I have decided to just collect and play all the great RPG's of the past, there should be enough of them to keep me entertained for a long time.

I remember a day when RPG meant an Ultima, Might and Magic 1 - V, or a wizardry type of game. God I miss the good old days.

Lumpy

Arcane
Crafting an epic tale centering on the adventures of an immortal man who can’t remember his past, wrapped up in a battle to preserve the future, the experience just couldn’t fit on a single DVD.
Obviously.

Nedrah

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
2008: Fuck RPGs, Far Cry 2 and Starcraft 2 are coming out.

Assuming AoD does indeed not make a 2008 release, I almost would have to agree.
I fully plan to try and seriously get lost in sc2 multiplayer for a while. Everyone beeing a noob (to a degree) will be such a nice change of pace from current sc/wc3 online gaming.

Also, I obviously still can fall back to Gothic 3 and The Witcher, which I both could not play with my old pc .

Spec

Novice
Lumpy said:
Crafting an epic tale centering on the adventures of an immortal man who can’t remember his past, wrapped up in a battle to preserve the future, the experience just couldn’t fit on a single DVD.
Obviously.

Considering how often this kind of concept is batted around I'm VERY disappointed that there haven't been any Roger Zelazny adaptations.

Solaris

Scholar
For me...

Age of Conan -hope its a good'un.
Sacred 2 - hopefully will satisfy the inner diablo craving in me.
Dragon Age - dunno when this is out, if ever. But certainly a game I've been looking forward to.

Also hope there is a Witcher addon of some sort, and the SDK is good enough to get the mod community busy (myself included).

Screw the rest, Fallout 3 etc....not interested at all

aboyd

Liturgist
For me:

NWN 2 expansion pack #2 (I assume up to level 40)
Witcher expansion from DLA team
AoD
Broken Hourglass
Mythos
Purgatorio
Mystery of Westgate
BG 3 (The Black Hound)

Plus... there was a member here who was making his own RPG using a licensed engine. I recall that he posted screenshots of the dialogue editor that he had created for it, along with samples of the text. I don't recall the name of that game, but I have a bookmark somewhere, I seem to check it every 6 months or so. I'm hoping that's out in 2008.

gromit

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
the term RPG has been raped into a graphical adventure game with a few stats thrown in.

And what of the rape of the term "adventure game," slung around nearly every time someone refers to an action game with a plot (which is, what, everything in the last decade that wasn't an explicit exercise in nostalgia?) and surprisingly often by someone claiming something isn't really an RPG?

Seriously, the last adventure games I played with a few stats thrown in were Anachronox and, arguably Torment. I WISH the term RPG had gotten raped into that, because any potential trauma, humiliation and shame the genre felt would be completely outweighed by several direct hits to the g-spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom