Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might and Magic 1-6 on GOG, not a sale!

Which one is best?

• Total voters

Dux

Arcane
What the fuck happened in here then? I thought this was supposed to be a focused, wholesome discussion on the overall merit and quality of...

I voted M&M6 because it filled me up with magic and shaped my destiny as a supercilious maestro. My favourite part of the game was when I visited the local bakery, decided not to buy anything and then caught shit from the flour-covered rotund baker motherfucker behind the counter. That's the origin of my deep-seated disdain of gluten... and fat people. True stor-ay. Taking on Castle Darkmoor at a lower level is a sure way to break your sanity too. I did.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck happened in here then? I thought this was supposed to be a focused, wholesome discussion on the overall merit and quality of...

There is already a M&M thread with a poll, and there's also a GOG thread.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Hey Castozor did you try any of the ones that aren't six yet? For some reason, hitting new game forces me to do a default party on all except two and six.

Castozor

Scholar
I got a default one too in World of Xeen (4+5). Didn't really think much of it but now I'm wondering how to make a custom one as well.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
WTF I can't believe MM1-3 are so low rated in the poll.

VI might be the most "perfected", but loses some of the essence of exploration of the early ones.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

VI might be the most "perfected", but loses some of the essence of exploration of the early ones.
So far, 6 is the one I've had the most fun in. I'll be giving the others another try tomorrow night.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

So far, 6 is the one I've had the most fun in. I'll be giving the others another try tomorrow night.

You purchased yesterday, bro. It's normal 6 superior usability makes it more rewarding. and I'm not saying it isn't good, it is awesome.

Hitoshura

Educated

I wouldn't say that VI is the most perfected, it's the one that has the most mechanics and the largest game world. While it's a good game that I enjoyed from start to almost finish (the games is too long for it's own good), the changes from the III-V engine (VGA) to the 3D one had some critical changes that made the game worse:

* III has 6 PC + 2 NPC, VI had 4. This severely limit party construction... in a game focused around combat.
* Movement speed in VI ranges from asthmatic turtle to arthritic granny (running) while the only limitation to speed is your input in III. This greatly hampers the joy of exploration in VI.
* III had probably the bestiary that is the most imaginative (i.e. moving away from standard fantasy and sci-fi) and colorful bestiary rendered with pixel perfect precision while VI was more generic and poorly stretched out 3D.

However, I wish that III had the proficiency system of VI, it makes character progression more interesting and meshes well with exploration as you need to get to know more about the world to find where masters and grand masters are.

I'm focusing on III as I feel it's better than Worlds of Xeen, which could be a different post as to why that is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom