Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Screens showing Dialogue

Slith

Scholar
Found some new Mass Effect screens.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

If you ask me, the dialogue looks like the same crap in Oblivion: One sentence responses with absolutely no depth. How is this an improvement? It seems like everytime I start thinking this game might actually be good, I learn about some new crap that ruins it. At this rate it'll just be another Oblivion in space, with the Bioware logo slapped on.

Fuck, I was looking forward to this game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
As I said before, such dialogs could only be useful as an auxilliary system. That is, you interact with the pcs (in noncombat situations) in the verbose mode, with the full direct-speech approach, but during combat or when you just need to issue an order or say something quick to npc, Mass Effect's system is perfectly fitting.
But if it's used as a main system, then... well, you said, it's an Oblivion clone.

obediah

Erudite
so for the first screenshot, the answers don't seem diverse enough, and for the second I can't fathom a comment that all three would make sense in response to.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
so for the first screenshot, the answers don't seem diverse enough, and for the second I can't fathom a comment that all three would make sense in response to.

"Are you going to interrogate me all day?"

In which case it is again 3 responses that have no real difference.

Gwendo

Augur
They just coud make the font bigger, for better reading...

ANd I think that 3 options to say the same thing is too redundant, I think there should only be Yes/No-type answers.

Kraszu

Prophet
If you ask me, the dialogue looks like the same crap in Oblivion: One sentence responses with absolutely no depth. How is this an improvement?

It is impovment because the good answers is alweys at top, neutral at middle and bad at botton so you don't have to read.

Kraszu

Prophet
It is funny because all of those dialogues leads to the same, you can't even say that you will come back later

Mass effect hype:
For action players:
-Hey there is text but you can skipp it and go straight for the action.
For rpg players:
-There is text, you have alweys some to choose from.
What about other players they should not loose them
For simulator game players:
-There are ships that you flee in, they have lasers rockets, 70 types of weapons, big ships that all have they weakness and stong parts. There is biggest univers then was in eny other game that you can travel whenewer you want after you get hyper drive*

*-controling ships not included, hyper drive not included

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I have to admit that those dialogue screens simply aren't that impressive. At least, unlike Oblivion, it's not amini game. Heh. Still, I hope they work on that dialogue and spruce it up some...

onerobot

Scholar
You're all dumb. I really think BioWare deserves some respect for the monumental improvements they've made to the KOTOR dialog system. The original:

Hello, quest dispensing object!

1: I want the good ending.
2: Slight rewording of 1.
3: I want the bad ending.
4: Bye.

Behold the innovative new streamlined approach:

Hello, quest dispensing object!

1: Quest Plz.
2: Rewording of 1.

This is obviously what Bethesda was talking about when they said that "games need to evolve and grow", and I couldn't agree more. Hopefully sometime soon they'll get rid of the whole thing, and just have you push a button every 20 minutes to advance a cinema, check to see if you're still alive etc.

Gwendo

Augur
Someday they'll create a system where we won't even have to bother watching the screen. I can be on the beach, taking some sun bathing, meeting babes and mating, while the game plays itself at home. That would be evolution!

raziel014

Novice
But the dialogue in Monkey Island IS fun. Especially Monkey Island 3.

And Rat Keeng, there's some spelling issues in your signature. :wink:

LlamaGod

Cipher
Hey cool, BioWare has taken their 'All options lead to the same response' and ran with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom