Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Snap! (aka Fast Gwent by Hearthstone devs)

J1M

Arcane

I really liked what I saw about Snap when it was announced. It seemed to be taking the gameplay philosophy that Hearthstone applied to MTG and applying that to the structure of Gwent.

For example, to speed up play Hearthstone removed the ability to play on an opponent's turn and moved those actions into trap cards. Snap takes that a step further by shifting play to a limited number of simultaneous turns.

I have finished the tutorial and played about half a dozen games so far. There is limited randomness to manage and advantages to anticipating/baiting your opponent that give the game enough depth to be interesting. In particular, I like the "win 2 of 3" element that was also in Gwent.

Fortunately, if you are curious you can sneak into the closed beta. (There was some sort of streamer drama that I don't understand that led to the APK being shared and beta progression is supposed to carry over to the full release.) EDIT: Consider using APK Mirror from the Play Store to install the game instead. It takes fewer steps.

Game is out for Steam, Android, and iOS.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't support groomers of which Marvel is firmly in that area. The way that they've treated the creation of 70+ year old characters is shameful. If I had a choice between punching my nuts or having to read/watch/play anything related to Marvel I'd double punch my nuts.

J1M

Arcane
Have been playing this a fair amount. I like it.

There are a lot of matches that are determined by play on the last turn, the retreat/double down mechanic adds a lot of depth, and the rotating location frequency favors different decks on different days.

Humanophage

Arcane
uo5xoCS.png

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh lord no. And why isn't baby-face galactus a black woman also? Wolverine should be a black fat tranny running for mayor.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
The game is well designed and I am still enjoying it.

APK Mirror is a better tool to install it now. (The game had a version update.)

J1M

Arcane
Releases October 18th.

I am about a dozen cards away from unlocking everything. Didn't spend any money. Would like to, but the pricing doesn't make sense yet.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I will wait for the official release since I don't want my progress to be deleted.
It's nice they release it on pc and mobile, if they add cross platform progression it will be even better.
But I have low expectations from this.

J1M

Arcane
I will wait for the official release since I don't want my progress to be deleted.
It's nice they release it on pc and mobile, if they add cross platform progression it will be even better.
But I have low expectations from this.
They aren't going to reset progress. Just link your Play store account.

J1M

Arcane
Game is out now (Steam and mobile clients).

Happy to answer any newbie questions here as I still think the game is quite good.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The gameplay is enjoyable and the free rewards are quite generous.
Lots of different cards that enable you to play a variety of decks.
For now it's not very annoying to lose but I guess the more I play and the more I understand, the more annoying it will become.

deuxhero

Arcane

Happy to answer any newbie questions here as I still think the game is quite good.

Did they include Power Pack, or is it still mercifully almost entirely forgotten by Marvel?

J1M

Arcane

Did they include Power Pack, or is it still mercifully almost entirely forgotten by Marvel?
Not in any current cards. Could show up in the future considering they have a card for Cosmo the dog.

Very addictive game, albeit very easy so far. I’m running a win rate of about 95%. Likely because I’m still quite low on the ladder (Rank 18) as I have seen some people making some bafflingly stupid moves that effectively amounted to suicide. I think the Marcel branding is contributing to this since it likely brought in a bunch of normies who have never played a card game and don’t know wtf they’re doing.

J1M

Arcane
Very addictive game, albeit very easy so far. I’m running a win rate of about 95%. Likely because I’m still quite low on the ladder (Rank 18) as I have seen some people making some bafflingly stupid moves that effectively amounted to suicide. I think the Marcel branding is contributing to this since it likely brought in a bunch of normies who have never played a card game and don’t know wtf they’re doing.
You play bots as part of the tutorial to start. You can accelerate to real matches faster by snapping to double the points a game is worth.

Snapping and retreating are a major part of the skill involved in winning. It's a nice mechanic that changes how much a match is worth and makes a wider variety of decks viable. Decks that are less consistent but have big final turns can take more points off of opponents than predictable ones.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I kept playing for the last couple of days.
Just as I thought, the game becomes annoying.
I'm playing against much more advanced decks than mine.
It's impossible for those players to be at my rank so the game matches me against stronger players.
I'm on the verge of uninstalling if this keeps up.
Not to mention the pass costs 12 euros and lasts for merely a month.
You pay wow subscription to play with jpegs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Installed this last night. It seems a mish-mash of many previous card games. Overall it's well done, but strategically a little shallow for my taste. You build your deck to do what it does, and you have limited ability to play around the random location effects and your opponent's engine.

Comparing power at locations is like Star Wars CCG.
Fighting over 3 locations is like Star Wars TCG.
Snap is like Overpower's Venture mechanic (which is a nice callback).
The guessing your opponent's moves is like Urban Rivals, albeit it is less tense and strategic, since Urban Rivals you have to read your opponent 3 times and there's no hidden information.
Ongoing effects vs Reveal effects vs Activate effects is like Capcom vs SNK Cardfighters.

I would rate this a little lower than Urban Rivals but sometimes UR gets too stressful so this is fine for a more casual experience. Growing the collection is satisfying and smooth, if a bit slow and grindy.

ms22002.jpg

J1M

Arcane
J1M what do you spend your free gold bars on?
If you like cosmetics, then save them to buy the art variants you like. Also note the 'rare' ones that cost 1200 gold cannot be obtained from loot boxes.

But if your goal is to grow your collection ASAP or if you are like me and think most of the variant art is worse than the base cards, here's how to be efficient.
  1. If you aren't going to hit 25 completed daily missions for the week, use 120 gold to buy 2 extra missions. This is repeatable and the same gold to credit conversion rate as the shop.
  2. If you want to unlock cards as fast as possible, purchase credits in the shop.
  3. Diamond hands. Just stockpile the gold until they announce their plans for a new way to use it. In beta there was a fiasco involving gold and buying limited time loot boxes to get a specific card. It was done so poorly they refunded purchases and deleted the system.
Personally, I saved about half of my gold and spent the rest on credits.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom