Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost Ark Online

Allwynd

Novice
- bad controls
- bad combat
Compared to what?
Compared to Diablo 2, Path of Exile.
D2 and PoE are better games than Lost Ark and while their combat is satisfying, it's mostly spamming one skill that you heavily invested into. I'm not gonna say that Lost Ark's MMO cooldown rotation trash is much better, but at least it's more varied. Lost Ark is also a generation ahead in terms of animations, effects and sound. I wish there was a better game built around its combat system as the current game feels more like a chore completion simulator.
I've played a lot of Asian MMORPGs since 2005 and forth - Lucent Heart, Lineage 2, TwelveSky 2, Metin2, 9 Dragons, Silkroad Online and many more. I must say that those older MMORPGs look better than Lost Ark, their art style has more "soul" despite their game engines and graphics being outdated and inferior, somehow they still look better to me. And those games' combat feels better, even if it's just watching your character passively auto-attack mobs for the first 5-6 levels of the game before you learn some active abilities.

Allwynd

Novice
PoE is not really a better game.
Maybe that's why it's widely popular and getting a sequel while the original will exist side-by-side. Not to mention the fact that PoE was universally praised, granted, I don't play it anymore and don't plan to play 1 or 2 when it releases, but pretending like the game is not good is delusional. If you don't think the game is good, that's something else, you should point it out, but stating it as an universal, undeniable fact is entitled.

Codex Year of the Donut
and you seem to think they're all shit
why do people keep telling me this?
are there any MMOs that you do like?
Everquest. All three variations available to play(P99, classic progression, and live) all have their pros/cons. P99 fans will attack you for suggesting this.
Guild Wars, if you consider it an MMO, I don't.
Star Wars Galaxies. Again, pros/cons of playing pre-cu vs NGE, there's also servers that take content from both. SWG Legends is probably the best available due to all the custom content they've worked on.
Project Gorgon. Early access, but has a lot of content. Made by one of the devs of Asheron's Call. Everything is a skill, hard to describe this game but it's worth checking out.
Dungeons & Dragons Online. 3.5e with heavy houseruling in real-time, the quests are excellent.
LotRO, if you're a Tolkien nerd. Best adaptation of Middle Earth to digital format. Very clunky combat & UI that requires Tolkien blinders to look past.
Star Trek Online. Again, faithful adaptation of a widely loved universe. Lots of good mission chains, fleshed out galaxy, cool 'companion' system when you're on the ground.
Final Fantasy XI. Clunky beyond words, was originally designed to be played with a PS2 controller. If you can look past this, fantastic.
Everquest 2, but the expansions generally weren't for the better. Has popular classic progression servers.

Games that are poor MMOs but are decent games:
Elder Scrolls Online, good quests, very bad RPG.
Secret World, great story, terrible MMO.
SWTOR, great singleplayer quests, MMO tumor attached.

MMOs I liked at the time but probably aged like milk without the nostalgia:
Lineage
Helbreath
The Realm Online

I regret never playing Ultima Online when it was popular.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Is the game a resource and internet speed hog? Lotta lag? Obviously a hotspot ain't gonna work.
It downsamples well, so even on a mediocre PC it runs well. I haven't had any lag-related issues so far, and know plenty of people who play the game via VPN/GeForceNow with limited bandwith. I've had a few occurrences of rubberbanding, but that happens like once every blue moon and only for half a second.

The game is optimized pretty damn well.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Amazon is ass fucking another foreign MMO, openly announces it will be censored.

https://archive.vn/UWYh8

Except it isn't. Plenty of skin to see. Literally have characters run around in the thinnest string bikinis you can find.

I assume you just forgot to quote deuxhero. Did you read this part of the article?

PC Games: Will there be any differences between the different versions of the game?

Source: Bandai Namco Mike Zadorojny: There will be a few minor differences between the Japanese and Western versions of Blue Protocol. The main reason for this is that we are aiming for a “teen” rating for our market so that Blue Protocol becomes a title that our friends and family can play together.
There are certain things that we need to change for this goal, but things like bosses, open world experiences and such are the same in all versions.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lost Ark online..
Amazon...
Sudoku....
Sokoban....
calling Dr Jones....

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
And I did not talk about that game but the false claim that Lost Ark is censored. Which it isn't.
https://nichegamer.com/lost-ark-censors-artist-character/

Lost Ark censors new Artist character to hide thighs and “fit western norms”​

by Brandon Orselli on January 3, 2023 at 10:16 AM, EST

Lost Ark

Publisher Amazon Games revealed the Lost Ark roadmap of content for 2023, and with it confirmed they’ll censor a highly anticipated player class arriving in the game.

The new playable class (featured above), the Artist, is portrayed as a young girl with a skimpy skirt that almost reveals some gluteus – however Amazon says this doesn’t fit with “Western norms.”
As such, they’ll be censoring the digital female character with “shorts” and in some cases even “adjusted pant lengths” or “tights” that cover her thighs entirely.
“Nothing gameplay-related will change for the Artist Class, but some skins will be modified to better fit Western norms,” Amazon said in the Lost Ark roadmap. “Specifically, skins with short skirts will have shorts added underneath the skirt, and other skins will have adjusted pant lengths or tights added.
“We will be working to preserve the original spirit of the skins when applying these changes to ensure players will have a variety of compelling customization options for this uniquely versatile class.”
This isn’t the first time Amazon has censored Lost Ark to better fit in with whatever are now considered “western” norms.
The publisher previously covered up female cleavage and even in some cases gave characters black skin to address nonexistent claims the game lacked “representation.”

See here for examples of "Western norms"

Zeriel

Arcane
They've done it since before release. I dunno why people wanna cope so much about it. If they enjoy the game despite getting hijab'd whatever, but pretending it didn't happen since the beginning is silly. Amazon Game Studios is the progressive equivelant of the Taliban.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh god. That link to the western censored version is god awful. WTH.
0EUoV5f.jpg

FUCK! ITS LIKE A FUCKING CREATURE FROM THE PIT!!
Can it be fixed with patches? Jesus Christ WEST.. quit fucking censoring shit. WE WANT OUR TITTIES AND CHEER.. er BEER. We don't give a fuck about your diversity bullshit. Fuck off. Now bring them thighs and spread em wide.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Oh god. That link to the western censored version is god awful. WTH.
0EUoV5f.jpg

FUCK! ITS LIKE A FUCKING CREATURE FROM THE PIT!!
Can it be fixed with patches?
I think that was how she looked in the Beta or something before the release of the game. And that IS actually a creature from the pit!

They "fixed" the glossy skin look since, but still turned what was supposed to be a Korean-looking character model into some sort of Mexican:
Erzebet.jpg

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Just play the fucking game as it is. Why does everything have to represent you and your shitty surroundings?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looks like a gacha as most online games are. A speedboat surfboarding wagon? I couldn't really read anything but apparantly you just skip text as online games story must suck i guess? (Shrugs)

Gerrard

Arcane
They "fixed" the glossy skin look since, but still turned what was supposed to be a Korean-looking character model into some sort of Mexican:
Erzebet.jpg
You're missing vital context though. Why would they pick her out of a hundred other side characters?
It's because she's involved in a quest where the people gathered in her mansion call her "the most beautiful person in the world".

The same goes for the blacked priest. His quest involves all the women in town being enamored by him.
dsCiK4F.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom