Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"Marketing is dead, players just want *different kind of marketing*"
Okay, chief.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
^ this is marketing, and this guy is their marketer
BG3 had good marketing, and its marketing helped move units and reach wide appeal for what easily could've been a niche product. They didn't go "without marketing", they just innovated marketing.

Edit: Devolver and Palaworld marketing leads in the comments to that thread is a good sign. But if more publishers do it, I expect a quick backlash, like how we saw against fast food chains. At first it was funny to see Wendy's diss people on Twitter, but when everyone is doing it, people just started spamming
crab.jpg

jf8350143

Liturgist
Have they really innovated marketing?

It's basically CDPR when witcher 3 comes out. They have a decent game, they pretend they are a consumer friendly company who only cares about the players and everyone starts to praise them and anyone who critize the company and their game is considerred haters.

Bethesda did the same with their save single player game campaign.

We need to judge them on what they do, not what they say. And what they do is marketing exploring upper city one month prior release.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Yeah, I like Larian and am genuinely happy with their success but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that all those Panel from Hell showcases don't count as marketing, especially since they invited a bunch of gaming influencers to them.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Yeah, I like Larian and am genuinely happy with their success but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that all those Panel from Hell showcases don't count as marketing, especially since they invited a bunch of gaming influencers to them.
The game literally has a built-in feature to connect your game to a Twitch stream so the viewers can vote for dialogue options. Streamers and Youtube videos are just as big of a force in marketing as traditional adverts, if not even bigger since they reach a more specific audience as the dude in the tweet said

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...poken-to-and-they-dont-want-to-be-bamboozled/

'Marketing's dead, and I can back this s**t up': Larian's publishing director says players 'just want to be spoken to, and they don't want to be bamboozled'​

In our State of PC Gaming roundtable, Larian's Michael Douse argues marketing isn't the right way to reach today's gaming audience.
Publishing director of a game that experiences phenomenal sales driven by viral bear-marketing claims that "marketing is dead". :hmmm:

rtmwcr.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're just not being precise enough. The previous way of marketing things is now no longer effective, that's true. Viral marketing, that's the ticket.

DoWhocares

Literate
I used to not mind this guy in whatever promo materials I've seen him in. But the post above turned me to intense hatred.

No, not "everything is marketing." Just the thing that you're doing that is clearly marketing, is marketing. And saying it's not marketing will only work on the people who also believed you when you told them Bear's Gate 3 is a good, polished and complete game.

And then just the casual digs at status quo and professionalism too. Liberals, liberals never change. Even above white people, the thing they hate most is competence because it creates a contrast with their own inadequacies.

Can't wait for Larian's next gaem to go the way of the Cyberpunk, or better yet Starfield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom