Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotOR III, the MMO

fastpunk

Arbiter
There have been rumors on this for some time. But now, a former LucasArts employee (a company that is laying off a lot of people lately) has confirmed that KotOR III is in development... but apparently, it's an MMO. Yeah, all good things must come to an end. Here's the article on Ars Technica from where this piece of news came:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/06/lucasarts-lays-off-staff-staff-spills-beans

Now, we know for a fact that Bioware and LucasArts are working on an unannounced game ( http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/ )... so I think the situation is pretty clear. Oh joy! :|

Texas Red

Whiner
Prime example of the retarded mentality of publishers. KotORs obviously made a profit since there is a sequel planned. Yet instead of doing it safe in a nonexistent RPG market as before, they turn to MMOGs, a market where everyone and their grandma tries to push in. In the end they will fail like MMOG #45462 because of competition, something which they haven't heard of.

The players are fucking retards as well. The MMOG companies make 1000% profit from the monthly fees, fees that are basically for nothing. They pay for nothing and they are happy about it. We should all boycott MMOGs.

Mareus

Magister
Dark Individual said:
Prime example of the retarded mentality of publishers. KotORs obviously made a profit since there is a sequel planned. Yet instead of doing it safe in a nonexistent RPG market as before, they turn to MMOGs, a market where everyone and their grandma tries to push in. In the end they will fail like MMOG #45462 because of competition, something which they haven't heard of.

The players are fucking retards as well. The MMOG companies make 1000% profit from the monthly fees, fees that are basically for nothing. They pay for nothing and they are happy about it. We should all boycott MMOGs.

I agree 100%. You really do not sound like a dumbfuck x2 at all.

Suchy

Arcane
I guess They're hoping to gain from SW setting which still has a lot of fans, despite being assraped by the latest movies.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Truth be told, the MMO market is a bit like the mp3 market: you have one big player and a lot of small ones. Bioware might have a bit of success with this, since their games usually sell decently... I just don't see a KotOR MMO breaking through though. Of course, the essence of this news is that there will be no KotOR III, the role-playing game, sequel to KotOR and KotORII. At least not too soon... which sucks.

MetalCraze

Arcane
old news. at least Bioware didn't decide to rape MCA's neat storyline - instead they decided to make world of kotor

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they do make a KOTOR MMO, and it's actually good, I'll play it.

That said, it's just speculation at the moment.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well, yeah, they spend the money on stuff. But 15 dollars per person per month, you can't tell me that's not overcharging (unless you really like grindan gaems, I guess then it would be worth it). You are paying for the privilege of playing their game, I sincerely doubt you are actually paying for much new content. lol plz buy our expansion

ricolikesrice

Arcane
given how much more content MMO(RPGs) have over singleplayer games i dont see the big fuzz about the 15 buck charge.

if you play on average 2-3 hours per day thats 60-90 hours per month.

good luck finding single player games these days that give you 60-90 hours of entertainment for 15 bucks . mass effect charges 40-50 bucks for 20 hours.

age of conan sure feels like a lot better investment of money in that regard right now.

its not like a handfull of choices and consequences (barely in most nowadays single player RPGs) vs none (MMOs) makes up for ultra shitty combat (single player crpgs like mass effect) vs entertaining combat (good MMOs like AoC / WoW)

not engaging in all the retarded endgame raiding shit or getting into guilds or whatever, .... the modern MMORPGs can all be easily played as singleplayer action RPGs. if collecting loot and killing stuff is your cup of tea your certainly better of with a well-made MMORPG than the shitty singleplayer diablo clones or bioware/bethesdas stuff. bigger worlds, more skills, more items, more quests, better art direction etc. etc.

if story and choices & consequences are what want, you re fucked either way.... so might as well play the MMORPG instead of chosing the more expensive single player alternative that might have a couple of skillchecks but nothing groundbreaking either....

Texas Red

Whiner
ricolikesrice said:
given how much more content MMO(RPGs) have over singleplayer games i dont see the big fuzz about the 15 buck charge.

good luck finding single player games these days that give you 60-90 hours of entertainment for 15 bucks . mass effect charges 40-50 bucks for 20 hours.

Wut content? You mean areas with monsters in them? 60-90 hours of killing, great. The developers really didn't put more effort.

Fact: there are MMOGs that don't have monthly fees. Fact: MMOGs have radically different number of players and servers. Therefore somebody is either asking for more money or somebody is in the negative, and I sincerely believe its the first one because all MMOGs keep functioning no matter how unpopular they become. If there are, for example, 3 million people playing WoW, do you think 15 million dollars is required to sustain the servers or whatever excuse they have come up with to cheat people?

Texas Red

Whiner
Lesifoere said:
Companies want profits. News at eleven!

The news is that they're demanding money for nothing and people say "Lulz, its so little r u poor?", jizzcake.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Individual said:
ricolikesrice said:

Wut content? You mean areas with monsters in them? 60-90 hours of killing, great. The developers really didn't put more effort.

Fact: there are MMOGs that don't have monthly fees. Fact: MMOGs have radically different number of players and servers. Therefore somebody is either asking for more money or somebody is in the negative, and I sincerely believe its the first one because all MMOGs keep functioning no matter how unpopular they become. If there are, for example, 3 million people playing WoW, do you think 15 million dollars is required to sustain the servers or whatever excuse they have come up with to cheat people?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

AzraelCC

Scholar
I'd like to think that a large chunk of that 15 million is being channeled towards making Starcraft 2.

I'd really like to.

Well, whatever makes one sleep at night.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'd like to think that a large chunk of that 15 million is being channeled towards making Starcraft 2.
15 million dollars to develop the stupidest weapon known to mankind
howdoesinotcutmyself2-1.jpg

The news is that they're demanding money for nothing and people say "Lulz, its so little r u poor?", jizzcake.
The news is that they're demanding money for nothing and people are paying.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MMORPGs have more content over single player games?
like even more meaningless grinding with each expansion?

Lurkar

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
15 million dollars to develop the stupidest weapon known to mankind

You REALLY like that picture.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Gunsword-chuks FTW!

You know, it's all really the education system's fault for making people stupid enough to like this shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So, according to this, BIO is making two MMORPGs? Hmmmm..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom