Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR II Hits Number 1 Spot

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Fez said:
I remember seeing the old cinematic promotional video of Halo, if they had made that game instead of the one we got, I'd have been happy.

Something I say everyday to my friend who is like "OMG HALO SI TEH BESTESTEST GAEM EVAR!!1! HURURURURURUR!!!"

Jed

Cipher
Fez said:
I remember seeing the old cinematic promotional video of Halo, if they had made that game instead of the one we got, I'd have been happy.
Was that the one with the two aliens conversing before getting sniped by the hugh-mons? "You speak truly."

Yeah, that movie made Halo look pretty cool, like something beyond Yet Another FPS(tm).

Fez

Erudite
Jed said:
Was that the one with the two aliens conversing before getting sniped by the hugh-mons? "You speak truly."

Yeah, that movie made Halo look pretty cool, like something beyond Yet Another FPS(tm).

That was the one. After seeing that video I was really looking forward to Halo, but then they stripped out all the good stuff, leaving us with YAFPS. I'm glad I waited to read some reviews and then try it before buying it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lady Armageddona said:
Everything on the list, xcept both Simses is pure crap. But since when americans have bought sth that isn't?

Well, I hated.. HATED.. the first Sims game. I deeply, thuroughly loathed The Sims. I played it for about five hours and by the end of it, I was so utterly bored, I couldn't drive myself to want to play it any more.

That said, I thought The Sims 2 was pretty friggin' fun. I liked the new desire system, which actually gave me a great deal of motivation to keep going. I also liked the house building aspect much more than the one in the previous game.

Fez

Erudite
I'll probably get it when the first gold/multipack version appears. At least by then the usual round of bugs and problems might be solved and the problems that they only ever patch in the expansions will be fixed as well.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
geminito said:
KOTOR2 is also overrated... especially as an RPG. It's more of an adventure game with much more inventory and some unimportant stats.

But main-stream audiences like their RPGs easy. Give 'em what they want.

Poor Troika.

Would Bloodlines be one of those niche/hardcore RPGs, then? :roll:

MarFish

Liturgist
Kuato said:
"Each spreadsheet lists the title, publisher and intro-date, projected units, projected dollars (for the quarter and YTD) and average selling price of each software title sold through retailers participating in NPD's Video Games Software Sample in the U.S."

walmart is probbably the npd groups biggest source for info just look at their site

http://www.npdfunworld.com/funServlet?n ... index.html

Wasn't there an article about just how much power walmart wields over the gaming industry last year stating that 35% of all shelf sales in the US are made through WM and that a game that is not put on the shelves at WM is pretty much doomed?

Reklar

Liturgist
I wonder if Microsoft's success with X-Box, and X-Box 2 when it ships, has a positive impact on the PC gaming market since it's easier to port games to it than the PS2 or Gamecube? It seems to me that it's in Microsoft's best interest to support the PC gaming industry because it potentially doubles their market for game sales and encourages more people to use Windows. That being said, I wonder if the PC game market will see a boost when Microsoft attains more of the console marketshare from Sony and Nintendo?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Pegultagol

Erudite
I agree that MS could expand some game genres for the PC as well if XBOX margin grows bigger. It is because I guess that the transition is not as difficult. All XBOX games can run rather well on PC after conversion although PC platform seems to be a bit compromised in its potential. I guess that is why RPGs like Jade Empire can be ported to PC. That is all good, but I hope that there should be a better balance between these two platforms.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think Microsoft has caught on to a good thing. Halo continues to be a top seller on the PC. Released on the PC alone it would have been dubbed an average FPSer and that would be the end of it. But since it was a great console FPSer, people began to think it must be a great game, and Microsoft makes more money. Same thing with Knights of the Old Republic, only that was probably better than average. It certainly shouldn't have usurped games like Torment or Fallout as great RPGs in the mind of the industry. However, hyped for console, it translated into sales on the PC.

Plus, Microsoft and Sony like to let gamers know what games they have coming out on their system. This is done through magazines, announcements, and what not. So publishers and developers have a strong incentive to release for console, even if that means paying the console fees, which are considerable.

Unfortunately, you'll notice that model is console first, give PC the hand me downs. The PC has a gaming tradition very different from consoles, one I like better. I am not looking forward to playing Sudeki on my PC.

Reklar

Liturgist
Does the popularity of PC games over console games have anything to do with the price of consoles vs the value of PCs to the European gamer, kris? I know a couple of the guys in my writing community, one Dutch and the other German, are big cRPG fans and tend to talk about PC games a lot more than the console games they own and play. I'm not sure whether the fact they are cRPG fans has anything to do with their preferred choice of gaming platform though since I've not thought to ask before. Maybe I should, just to satisfy my curiosity.

By the way, I agree with you about the trend of console to PC ports, Greatatlantic, but I think going from Xbox to PC is still a lot better choice than PS2 to PC. When the next generation consoles come out it will more than likely get better, but I'll still be pulling for Microsoft over Sony in that regard. It seems to me that PC gamers have a lot better chance of seeing what they want standing behind Microsoft than they do with Sony.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom