Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us in 2024

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Most of the jank came from attempting things that were a bit too ambitious for a small studio, monastery quest is a good example.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bethesda has been the inspiration for many eurojank examples.
This.

I still remember Angry Schmoe's review of Risen (3/10) and a bit later Skyrim (10/10). His biggest complaints about Risen was jank and poorly executed ideas. These people are clowns.
I remember when Angry Joe tried to pick a fight with Razorfist.
Didn't go well for him, let me tell you...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This.

I still remember Angry Schmoe's review of Risen (3/10) and a bit later Skyrim (10/10). His biggest complaints about Risen was jank and poorly executed ideas. These people are clowns.
Bad stuff is that game is 50% eurojank, probably most hilarious so far.

What the fuck does this even mean? I am so tired of edgelord retards trying to score points for calling anything made in Europe Eurojank, when they gobble up horrible Bethesda animations for decades. Bad enough mainstream gaming websites do it, but now I gotta read this shit here?
Anglos always feel the need to feel superior, even if all they had is swimming in shit they would make fun of you that you're not shitting yourself.

Which isn't even a metaphor, Anglo media went to trash long time ago whereas European and Asian improved and refined. In last decade or two the same happened to gaming though it's mostly limited to Europe only.

So some Anglos hard cope calling stuff "Eurojank" and such, criticizing games for bugs despite American games having similar, and because the 'Eurojank' tends to be better in everything else.

Butthurt. Butthurt never ends.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never had a problem with this supposed "jank". Not saying it's perfect but compared to your average Bethesda game Kingcom Come felt like the mother of all AAA games.

Kingdom Come in the main suffers from having had two leads each of which had a completely different vision for the game. We have Vavra, who is big into cinematic narratives (and is surprisingly good at it), and then you have the Operation Flashpoint guy who is into simulation and being hard core and shit.

I don't know exactly how development went but it's obvious those guys each did their thing separately and there was some difficutly trying to put the two toghether. And that's pretty much it as far as i'm concerned.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Never had a problem with this supposed "jank". Not saying it's perfect but compared to your average Bethesda game Kingcom Come felt like the mother of all AAA games.

Kingdom Come in the main suffers from having had two leads each of which had a completely different vision for the game. We have Vavra, who is big into cinematic narratives (and is surprisingly good at it), and then you have the Operation Flashpoint guy who is into simulation and being hard core and shit.

I don't know exactly how development went but it's obvious those guys each did their thing separately and there was some difficutly trying to put the two toghether. And that's pretty much it as far as i'm concerned.
Cinematic parts are OK except for strange movements of the heads and lifeless eyes and faces.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Cinematic parts are OK except for strange movements of the heads and lifeless eyes and faces.

I think cutscenes being locked at 30 FPS make some of the problems in the animation worse. I think there's a mod out there that fixes it but the way it worked was wierd so i gave up and just got used to it.

But i mean, compare 36 million Kingdom Come versus 200 million Starfield:

2daxPRTZAYvo8TLCsYX6qW.png

Euro jank lmao.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think cutscenes being locked at 30 FPS make some of the problems in the animation worse. I think there's a mod out there that fixes it but the way it worked was wierd so i gave up and just got used to it.

Euro jank lmao.
I would rather compare it with good games. Saying something is less shit because there is bigger shit on the other side of the street is not good. Better to compare it with ice cream in next street?!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It's often said that Vavra likes his cinematics and his games to be "narrative driven".
You can see how well it works in Kingdom Come. The cutscenes feel like they are actually part of the game and experience.
It is not overly emotional or anything like that, as you can clearly see, for example, in Henry's interactions with Sir Radzig, especially after the "big revelation"...
We need more games like this.
It was a bunch of czechs celebrating their country's history and heritage.
There is something to learn here.

thesecret1

Arcane

It's often said that Vavra likes his cinematics and his games to be "narrative driven".
You can see how well it works in Kingdom Come. The cutscenes feel like they are actually part of the game and experience.
It is not overly emotional or anything like that, as you can clearly see, for example, in Henry's interactions with Sir Radzig, especially after the "big revelation"...
We need more games like this.
It was a bunch of czechs celebrating their country's history and heritage.
There is something to learn here.
Yeah, you can see it in Mafia too - Vavra tries to make his characters act like real people rather than theatre set pieces. Doesn't mean there can't be depth or emotion (Mafia ending had both in spades), but that you don't get the Larian-esque overacting and fake emotion.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This.

I remember when Angry Joe tried to pick a fight with Razorfist.
Didn't go well for him, let me tell you...
Wat?! Link please!
It was quite a long time ago.

Beowulf

Arcane
KCD was far from perfectly fine upon release. Many people, including me, had issues with the main quest itself.
I had the infinite loading screen bug, corrupted saves and one NPC spawning mid-air, and falling to her death, that took me many retries and reloads to work around them.
Not to mention the myriads of lesser bugs and glitches (some game-breaking and some really amusing and funny).
It was "janky" as hell, there's no way around it. I'm glad that they managed to patch and polish the game to the state that allowed them to sell millions and start working on the sequel, though, as there is no other big budget game like this one.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I found it. Razorfist is a Honey badger when it comes to verbal arguments. Angry Joe is a clueless fat shill. He stood no chance. The destruction was hilarious. Never forget that Razor shit on Dark Souls though and sucked DA:I's dick. That made me lose alot of respect for him. I used to be a faithful follower. Still, to this day I'd never attempt to get into a debate with him.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I found it. Razorfist is a Honey badger when it comes to verbal arguments. Angry Joe is a clueless fat shill. He stood no chance. The destruction was hilarious. Never forget that Razor shit on Dark Souls though and sucked DA:I's dick. That made me lose alot of respect for him. I used to be a faithful follower. Still, to this day I'd never attempt to get into a debate with him.

People like Razorfist demonstrate that high verbal ability doesn't equate with high intelligence (much like virtuosity in music doesn't equate to being a musical genius).

I still wouldn't want to get caught sparring words with the guy though.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

People like Razorfist demonstrate that high verbal ability doesn't equate with high intelligence (much like virtuosity in music doesn't equate to being a musical genius).

I still wouldn't want to get caught sparring words with the guy though.
He does have some shit takes from time to time, but he is one of the few youtubers who actually put effort into their videos.
It's kind of a two man project - him and Terran Gell.
Also has a pretty good "Depths of DS9" series about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
He knows how to use words for maximum impact, that's one of the secrets of verbal sparring.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Euro jank lmao.
I would rather compare it with good games. Saying something is less shit because there is bigger shit on the other side of the street is not good. Better to compare it with ice cream in next street?!

Yeah but we were talking about "Euro" jank, not jank in general.

And for me, the higher the budget the less tolerant i become of jank. Cyberpunk had no business coming out with that broken ass AI. The game costed 400 millions to make there's NO exscuse for that kind of shit.

Kingdom Come's budget is higher than your average indie game but it's still lower than most AAA games out there and personally i was amazed by how much they could do considering they had less to work with compared to major American companies.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He knows how to use words for maximum impact, that's one of the secrets of verbal sparring.

The thing is that he can just do that unscripted. That's why i gotta laugh at a mouth breather like Angry Gamer getting into a sparring match with him. I remember watching an interview with him where he just did what he does in his videos uninterrupted for 45 minutes straight.

MasPingon

Arcane

So that's why it feels so strange. I'm playing it now, about 25 hours in, and couple of times I've felt huge dissonance between your player character liberty of taking action and a need of illustrating the story bits to a player. Someone gave a good example here - when you go back to your village to bury your parents there is a cutscene - suddenly you are at a destination, few kilometers away, just because. The game doesn't take into consideration that you tried to get there by a horse. Fuck the horse, you are pedestrian now. There were at least a dozen similar situations in my experience. This is a big problem in a game, that teaches you that you need to take care of your sleep, provisions and all the other everyday stuff before taking a trip and you are teleported to a destination point or something you sould do by yourself happens during cutscene. Don't get me wrong, I love this game for now on, but it feels strange in places.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom