Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance II announced, coming this year

kigmathelm

Literate
I'm not sure that zoos featuring black people were available in 15 century Bohemia or that it was economical to import them as slaves, but I could be wrong. Other than that - no way there were present.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In the spirit of arguing on the internet, I disagree with both of you.

I disagree with Spectral Pontifex (with the quoted part, not the second part) because I definitely do meet Arabs on the streets of Brno with some regularity, but the dudes are usually rather westernized in their looks, just brownish, so it's only obvious with their women in hijabs. An Arab doctor lives two floors below me. Black people are "common" enough that I do meet a couple every day when I walk through the city, there's a ton of Indians and some non-Vietnamese Asians here and there as well. In general cities with universities tend to have foreigners from all areas, though in Brno it's definitely supported by a large tech sector that employs foreigners, so it's more cosmopolitan than the other cities mentioned. But even in Brno when my friend had a black classmate, he was literally being called "black Dave" by his friends because his skin color was by far his most distinct feature (and because he was not a retard who would get offended by that).

That said, thesheep is an obvious retard too lazy to find out the difference between Prague plus a few university cities and the rest of the country. The difference in diversity between Prague or Brno and an average <100k inhabitants town is staggering. It is not uncommon that you would have literally one black dude in a city of 50k that half of the town would know as "the black dude". It is normal that in 20k towns the only people with a non-european ethnicity are a couple Vietnamese people. Czechia outside of cities really is incredibly homogenous. It is quite possible that there are no black people in Kuttenberg today. I certainly did not meet any when I last visited.
I lived in Pilsen for twenty years, never met a random negro in the street. I am tempted to make a walk-through video to show that you are not gonna be meeting random non-whites there. That being said, Brno is twice as large (300K people).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I doubt Vavra would allow anything but a historical depiction at the end of the day.
Except for the Cumans in the first game throwing around present-day 21th century insults in present-day Hungarian. As a Hungarian, I found that strangely offputting and comical in equal amounts.

The problem is, they sound like a bunch of drunk football hooligans.
After reading this I've become very grateful that God did not make me a Hungarian.

NotSweeper

Educated
I doubt Vavra would allow anything but a historical depiction at the end of the day.
Except for the Cumans in the first game throwing around present-day 21th century insults in present-day Hungarian. As a Hungarian, I found that strangely offputting and comical in equal amounts.

The problem is, they sound like a bunch of drunk football hooligans.
After reading this I've become very grateful that God did not make me a Hungarian.
Made you a Polack instead, so I wouldn't go overboard with the gratitude.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kingdom Come occurs after 1392. Its Renaissance.
Maybe in Italy or France. Certainly not Bohemia.

In Bohemia High Middle Ages have barely started, about 50 years before KCD, and would go on for about 100 more years.

As you'll see in KCD2, they just laid the foundations of the Gothic cathedral in Kuttenberg you can see in the trailer and the Gothic style is incompatible with Rennaissance.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Most of the science fiction or fantasy is just real world human connections and history dressed in superficial environment. Even if you read hard sci-fi done by astrophysicist, bar the 10% of technobabble content, the rest of the story will be just whatever happened in history rehashed in new setting. People jerk off to GoT while it's just english history with fantasy padding.
Yet would they jerk to it to the same extent if you remove the fantasy padding? No.
There is a reason it's there.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stavrophore You're not reading the best type of sci-fi then. Most really good sci-fi books have no historical equivalents. Agree on GoT, though, but it's still very cool.

Or i'm reading more history and can see parallels where others might not ;)
Ok, historical equivalents for these please:

Stanislaw Lem - anything
Greg Bear - Blood Music
Isaac Asimov - anything
Rober Zelazny - Lord of Light
Ursula K LeGuin - anything, but let's go with The Left Hand of Darkness
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game

Sure, depending how general you go, there are always *some* basic parallels, but those apply to all the books ("all sci-fi is like Greek plays because there are humans conversing in them"... okay, sure :) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom