Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Harthwain

Magister
No marketing, and an abundance of games releasing.

Not only bad markeiting, it is piss poor. People probably don't even know it's standalone.
I also dislike the main theme: playing as a Roman would be somewhat interesting, but playing as an undead Roman in this particular setting? I am not really interested. You'd be better off playing as some classic evil undead empire instead.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I also dislike the main theme: playing as a Roman would be somewhat interesting, but playing as an undead Roman in this particular setting? I am not really interested. You'd be better off playing as some classic evil undead empire instead.

Strong disagree from my perspective. Hellish undead romans were the best part of King Arthur 2 and I wished there was more of them :negative:

I also think Roman presence in Britain is generally an unexplored and cool topic in general, and the Roman presence in Arthurian legends (which is fairly prominent) even more so.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Strong disagree from my perspective. Hellish undead romans were the best part of King Arthur 2 and I wished there was more of them :negative:

I also think Roman presence in Britain is generally an unexplored and cool topic in general, and the Roman presence in Arthurian legends (which is fairly prominent) even more so.

I really like undead Roman presence in general. It was really well made in the Secret World MMO.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Seems like a streamlined version of the OG game.
Kind of.
The basic game mechanics are great, so it's at least more King Arthur. It does feel like more of a B attempt though, a bit like leftover ideas. The voice acting, which wasn't all that great in the OG but passable, is a bit worse. Encounter design seems to be a bit more dynamic. Ethics is simplified into Good/Bad. There's weird attempts at humor that don't really gel with the setting at all.

Harthwain

Magister

That's down to taste and I am not saying mine is better or anything. I am just saying that what attracted me to King Arthur: Knight's Tale were the themes of knights (bonus points for making it about Arthurian legends in this case) and the clash between Christianity and Old Faith. Everything else is not that important to me.

notpl

Arbiter
Only having 6 characters, all of whom you use in every mission, sounds like a huge demerit. A large part of the appeal of the base game was getting new knights and seeing what builds helped your team come together.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm this studio is weird. Halfway trough their game they say that the campaign is finished and now there is an after game part witch have like 10 more missions and you need to do it to get the ending. Seems like they just run out of voice acting gibs during the middle of the game and do the rest as a bonus.

Sooo i finished the game almost,a few post finish mission need some trashing and i will do it tomorrow. But in general it is a fine DLC/expansion. It have like 10-15ish mission in the main campaign and 10ish more as post game. It is pretty much more of the same,tho with some mechanics changed. There is now no injuries and there is only 6 dudes in your party and no more 50 champions and shit. I kind of like that. Focusing on smaller team is nice,better than having 20 generic guys that you don't use. The wounds thing....ahhh i disliked the turn mechanic of the original,but they went the wrong way. Should have made them exist but you shouldn't have needed turns but spend resources to remove them. In general the changes make sense since it is a smaller game.

The story was enjoyable even if the last mission was a bit weird and should have had a choice or prelude to it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game today. I wrote a review for my site, which you can read below or here - if interested. I didn't like it as much as fantadomat. I found the removal of features and knights pretty bad, as in too streamlined :(

It’s time to once again adventure in Avalon. However, this time around we are ditching the knights of the Round Table in favor of a long-lost Roman legion. Seeing as King Arthur: Legion IX is an expansion for King Arthur: Knight’s Tale made stand-alone, you will not be getting the same amount of game as the original. That is all fine and dandy considering it being a DLC with a lower price point, but what I didn’t expect going in, was the much more streamlined experience. Many of the cool “Xcom” aspects of King Arthur: Knight’s Tale have been cut, like for example tending to wounds, building up your colony, and maintaining a team in the form of picking and choosing whom to take on missions.

Pax Romana
In King Arthur: Legion IX you get to play as Gaius Julius Mento, a commander of the Roman Ninth Legion. You are sent on a mission to find your way out of the underworld of Tartarus. However, in the search, Gaius stumbles upon a portal to Avalon, and from here on out you must find your missing remaining companions and create a new glorious Roman Empire – in the land of King Arthur.

I’m too sexy for my gladius. Too sexy for my gladius

Brush your teeth, kids!
Now, the premise is interesting since there is a link between the Romans, and the British Isles from history, as most of you know. However, being that there are a few centuries between the Arthurian legends and the Western Roman Empire, it does ring a little off, at least to me. The narrative established the why and how fairly well, but I couldn’t help to feel that the Roman faction felt misplaced throughout – like following a WW2 infantry platoon in a tale of a modern USMC unit already told. It might sound nitpicky seeing as this setting is mythological, but the technological aspect in both armor and weapons should be pretty big between the Roman soldiers and Medieval Knights in full plate. This would make the Romans a lot weaker than they come off in the game, and on top of that, now you have Romans roaming the lands of Avalon that they don’t have an affiliation to. The implication is that all myths are linked somehow. Is Hel also connected to this system – are the Vikings next to stumble upon Avalon? Or maybe Arthur will invade Valhalla?

I know all this is not on the same wavelength, as the Arthurian legends were not a belief system. And I probably put too much thought into this since regarding mythology and history, nothing is flawlessly clear. But I just find it a little weird, as in a bit anachronistic for my taste, and how the legends, myths, and history apparently can intersect willy-nilly. The game does not go into any deep dives into how exactly, just that there is a Roman settlement in Avalon, blessed by the lady in the lake and you must restore it.

Beyond my autistic ramble, the story is acceptable, but a little boring concerning the decision-making involving the plot. As I mentioned, everything is streamlined, and so are the narrative choices. You now only have to contemplate the moralistic choices between good and evil. Some of your companions are demonic, and some are reaching for humanity, which means they favor one over another. This of course comes with some significance down the line, so you better choose wisely. However, any gamer worth his salt can see the writing on the wall long before that moment comes into play and pick whatever benefits him or her the most.

Oh come on. Do you really have to summon these? They are annoying to fight!

Time to testudo
The gameplay doesn’t change much from the original when you consider the tactical gameplay. You will be visiting a lot of different maps where you have to defeat all kinds of enemy types in turn-based combat – many from King Arthur: Knight’s Tale. You will not be getting too much new to trust your gladius through, except legionnaire traitors, which unsurprisingly look a lot like you. Seeing as this is a minor expansion, and not a grand new sequel, I can’t fault them here. We also have to reflect upon that the world is the same, namely the good old island of Avalon. So, it probably wouldn’t make much sense to introduce too many new kinds of horrors. Expect a lot of units you have seen before.

Things were killed and loot collected. All is good in the lands of Avalon
However, where this expansion makes major changes is to the management. The game explains that wounds and deaths aren’t a problem anymore by making the faction you control undead. That’s fine from a narrative sense, but it makes the gameplay weaker since you will never have to consider who to take on missions, and who to rest for that big upcoming boss fight. Who cares if someone dies when they will resurrect with no issues at all after a battle? No carefulness is required! The companions you can pick from are also limited to one team, which I assume was also a factor in the removal of wounds so as not to trap the players in the middle of the campaign.

By having so few soldiers in your roster, you might think the companions will have a larger portion in the story, but sadly, that’s not the case. There is very little presented here beyond what the two main comrades in your little crew will say, and the reason they have anything to say at all is that these two represent the two opposing ideals. It’s disappointing because the management was one of the most enjoyable parts of King Arthur: Knight’s Tale. This feature has been streamlined to picking gear and talents, which makes the combat and the character-building of your murder gang the only thing that remains. There is the addition of activating bonuses (that come with negatives) for the combat scenarios, but it was a feature I only used once. However, I do see the potential if you are a true autistic character-builder since this can elevate any party if you plan it right. The reason I didn’t explore this option much is that I just don’t like having permanent debuffs on my team, even if the bonuses looked enticing.

Big or small, nothing can stand against the Roman military

The endgame
Despite all my endless complaining, the gameplay loop is still enjoyable for what it is. The narrative drove me forward, as I wanted to know what would happen to Gaius and his tooth-decayed friends. The combat was challenging enough, however, near the end, I apparently built my gang of Roman marauders so well that the enemy couldn’t touch me at all regardless of how much they tried to poke my eyes out. Where King Arthur: Legion IX shines is the beginning and the middle, and if you don’t screw up the talent trees of your men you will become gods of bloodletting. What threw me for a loop though, was that the main event of the game ends before the story is tied together. The central bad guy remains, but you see – this is where the so-called endgame starts. The problem here is that the story takes a nose dive for endless sidequests with no narrative at all except killing mooks forever and ever. After a couple of missions, I started to wonder if this was some kind of meta-narrative about hell because it truly felt like I was trapped in a permanent state of motion to be repeated forever as punishment for my sins.

It was so boring that I had to quit before I could see it to the end. Yet, according to the game, I did manage to finish it since I got an achievement for completing it. I’m a bit confused about what this is supposed to be because it feels very undercooked story-wise. I guess, it’s just something extra for the true enjoyers, but then again… it leaves everything else lacking with a feeling of the story being unresolved unless you press through this unsatisfactory part.

It must be hot and toasty in those metal armors of yours

Looks the same
The graphic quality is the same as in King Arthur: Knight’s Tale with the new Roman models looking the part. However, I did find it odd how you and your companion’s bodies look all rotten in the scene transition art, but the rot is only represented on the faces of the game models. At times, the arms, legs, and hands all look normal and human. Seeing how demonic and decayed the faces are, I expected the limbs to appear in the same grotesque way visually. Maybe the zombie/demonic curse only affects the face – who knows? Another issue that remains from the original is how everything feels “dreamlike”, with a lot of tracing when units move around. It is also blurry, with no setting making it more crisp. Other than that, King Arthur: Legion IX looks fine.

Music and voice are passable, yet, there is a clear decline in quality when it comes to the voice acting. The only real memorable aspect of the voices is the intro where Gaius Julius Mento comes off as an ancient lich in both tone and way of speech. Very cool. Sadly, this is dropped rather quickly. I should also mention that lines feel off when the game tries to be funny. I blame this more on the writing than the actual voice work. It’s very jokey at times when the situation is supposed to be dark and brooding. These lines also seem to be a little too modern for the setting.

Bandits never change. You might expect rotting undead Roman legionnaires would have them think twice, but no

In conclusion
King Arthur: Legion IX is a weird beast. It’s more of the same, which is expected, but it’s lacking in mechanics and story since it streamlined so much. This could be excused as it’s an expansion, but what makes the title an oddity is that it’s a stand-alone game for some reason. As said, it comes with a lower price, but if you have not played King Arthur: Knight’s Tale there is absolutely no reason for you to get this over the original, especially when it currently costs the same (the sale lasts until the 23third of May). You will just be getting a lesser product in every way. And for someone like me that have played the original, it’s just disappointing because, for the most part, it removes instead of adding features. So, as a stand-alone game, who is it for? As a DLC for the main game, this would just be seen as something extra, even if the same complaints remain. Now, I’m confused instead. Why not make a full-blooded sequel?

Do I recommend the game? It was not all entirely bad, however, I would only recommend a purchase if you really enjoy the combat portion and desperately want more. For someone new to the series, get the original game instead. It’s much better, and you get more game for your buck with a superior story that is consistent with the theme of the setting.

Thanks for reading.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
However, being that there are a few centuries between the Arthurian legends and the Western Roman Empire. (...) I know all this is not on the same wavelength, as the Arthurian legends were not a belief system. And I probably put too much thought into this since regarding mythology and history, nothing is flawlessly clear. But I just find it a little weird, as in a bit anachronistic for my taste, and how the legends, myths, and history apparently can intersect willy-nilly.

:x :x :x

Romans are a significant element of the Arthurian myths

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
However, being that there are a few centuries between the Arthurian legends and the Western Roman Empire. (...) I know all this is not on the same wavelength, as the Arthurian legends were not a belief system. And I probably put too much thought into this since regarding mythology and history, nothing is flawlessly clear. But I just find it a little weird, as in a bit anachronistic for my taste, and how the legends, myths, and history apparently can intersect willy-nilly.

Not the classic le Morte d'Arthur, which most people believe is the only Arthurian Legend ever.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I didn't like it as much as @fantadomat.
Didn't say that i a like it a lot,the core game is still better. But it is a nice diversion during the summer in me free days. Stream lining does make sense since it is a shorter story with 10 missions and not 40. Turn mechanics make sense when you have control over the turns,like old 4x games. They don't make sense in games like king arthur or suzerain,where you have set number of turns and you can't pass time freely.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sure, I wouldn't think otherwise considering history. But when I hear about King Arthur, I imagine Knights, honor, and all that set in a typical British historical background. Not Romans with pilas vs. knights in armor. And yes, I read about the emperor he killed :)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I was really impressed with the original game but this is... meh. As I said, it feels like pieces from the cutting room floor.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Neocore have always shown a pretty deep familiarity with the Matter of Britain - either they have someone on board who's a real fan, or they did their homework really well. Then people come over saying 'lul romans how very strange and misplaced!!!', and I can only imagine the devs sighing heavily and asking themselves what was even the point of doing all that research.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Neocore have always shown a pretty deep familiarity with the Matter of Britain - either they have someone on board who's a real fan, or they did their homework really well. Then people come over saying 'lul romans how very strange and misplaced!!!', and I can only imagine the devs sighing heavily and asking themselves what was even the point of doing all that research.
It's cool how they researched all these Roman concepts. Too bad their voice actors can't decide on how to pronounce 'em.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
So explain how they fit into this particular setting. The game does not, except that they found a portal from Tartarus. And yes, they do feel misplaced. Especially after the first game. You now have Romans from another era in leather going up against late medieval guys in full plate. I don't understand what is so deep about this, or what I am missing in the first place. Is the Arthurian legends one of those settings where you can throw anything at the wall and see what sticks?

Yeah, what is the point of all that research when the game is dumbed down in both story and mechanics? I agree.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
So explain how they fit into this particular setting. The game does not, except that they found a portal from Tartarus. And yes, they do feel misplaced. Especially after the first game. You now have Romans from another era in leather going up against late medieval guys in full plate. I don't understand what is so deep about this, or what I am missing in the first place. Is the Arthurian legends one of those settings where you can throw anything at the wall and see what sticks?

The very first pseudo-historical accounts of King Arthur as laid out in 12th century romances and chronicles place King Arthur in the early 6th century where he is the inheritor of Roman Britain. It's the foundational myth of Albion as the new Rome, where they even invented themselves their own not-Aeneas who came to Britain from Troy. Furthermore, even the most popular Arthurian romances were placed in that early 6th century by their authors - they just didn't bother trying to figure out how everything would have worked 600 years ago, so they kept the aesthetics and socio-political conventions of their contemporary times - but they often directly reference historical events from that older time as happening in parallel. Thus, the "late medieval guys in full plate" who are also there e.g. in Morte d'Arthur, also actually live in the early 6th century, and the same "late medieval guys in full plate" were fighting the legions of Rome in Historia Regum Britanniae.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

The very first pseudo-historical accounts of King Arthur as laid out in 12th century romances and chronicles place King Arthur in the early 6th century where he is the inheritor of Roman Britain. It's the foundational myth of Albion as the new Rome, where they even invented themselves their own not-Aeneas who came to Britain from Troy. Furthermore, even the most popular Arthurian romances were placed in that early 6th century by their authors - they just didn't bother trying to figure out how everything would have worked 600 years ago, so they kept the aesthetics and socio-political conventions of their contemporary times - but they often directly reference historical events from that older time as happening in parallel. Thus, the "late medieval guys in full plate" who are also there e.g. in Morte d'Arthur, also actually live in the early 6th century, and the same "late medieval guys in full plate" were fighting the legions of Rome in Historia Regum Britanniae.
Yes, okay, I have googled and read all that, but it doesn't change anything in the setting they created for their version of the legends. I mean, in the OG game you play as Mordred out to kill Arthur, and there are only knights intermixed with barbarians and mythological creatures. No Romans. I guess, you can say their setting allows for it since it's part of Arthurian legends of old. But I just don't think it fits this particular setting that well. I didn't find it very appealing, nor does it make fully sense, considering they come from the Roman version of hell. It makes it sound like all "hells" are connected somehow. Making it even more of a conundrum how any of this works.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

:martini:

Ahhh the kodex,a place where people argue about medieval starwars garbo. Anglo cucks are notorious for trying to invent their own history and myths.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom