Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is This the Single Worst Encounter in RPG History?

Prime Junta

I'm replaying Dragon Age 2 because I hate myself and my family, and I just did the solo Arishok battle at the end of act two. This HAS to be the most poorly designed battle encounter in RPG history.

I played it with a rogue and while it was a bit of a Benny Hill situation I thought it was more par-for-course dumb than historically bad.

I must be in a small minority here but I thought the moment to moment awesome-button gameplay in DA2 wasn't as rancid as in the others.

Silly Germans

Neither are right though.

DA:O had some great elements, more good elements than bad IMO, DA:2 & DA:I were overwhelmed with shit elements but still had some good elements on board too.

It's all like a crazy wizard who manipulates fire, wind, earth & water - elementle
When it comes to Dragon Age , i agree with user3 but i don't say you are wrong.I just want to point out that with each new installment,the serie become worse and worse. At one moment, you need to stop the massacre.
And to answer DalekFlay's thread, DA:I is probably the worst RPG of the century. So it reveals everything you need to know.
I found DA:I more tolerable than DA2
DA2 had at least the decency to end after something like 25 hours. DA:I is stretched out to what, 100-150 hours ?
The openworld is crap and bloated with fetch quests and combat is just as bad and bullet spongey as DA II, perhaps even even slower.
DA2 was at least focused and didn't waste my time as much.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Everything about DA2 is "the worst". If anything it's a textbook example of how not make an RPG. Fucking retarded anime gook grinding games have better less cringey designs.

Falksi

Arcane
Whether you preferred DA:2's torture by heavy bludgeoning, or DA:I's death of a thousands cuts, I think it's safe to say that both are two of the wankest, most arduous RPGs to ever have graced any system, and inflict far more pain and misery on the player than enjoyment.

How any fucker can be remotely excited for Dragon Age 4 is beyond me. Solas was admittedly a great character, but to play whatever butchery of a game they put forth to see his story is too big an ask.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Whether you preferred DA:2's torture by heavy bludgeoning, or DA:I's death of a thousands cuts, I think it's safe to say that both are two of the wankest, most arduous RPGs to ever have graced any system, and inflict far more pain and misery on the player than enjoyment.

How any fucker can be remotely excited for Dragon Age 4 is beyond me. Solas was admittedly a great character, but to play whatever butchery of a game they put forth to see his story is too big an ask.
I'm gonna buy it only if they go for a power move and name it Dragon Age: Andromeda.

Falksi

Arcane

I'm gonna buy it only if they go for a power move and name it Dragon Age: Andromeda.

:lol: Press the awesome button to activate and summon both Shepard & Hawk to bum each other, and ejaculate social justice all over the player.

Codex Year of the Donut
I played it with a rogue and while it was a bit of a Benny Hill situation I thought it was more par-for-course dumb than historically bad.

There is a video for that

oh hey it's cassandra before they made her look masculine
Mike Laidlaw on Cassandra in DA2:
And then, obviously, we wanted to make sure she was hot. To dial her to eleven, to make her absolutely gorgeous, really enticing—yet at the same time, she's powerful, she's strong, she's wearing platemail
Casper Konefal on Cassandra in DA:I:
I just found beauty too subjective, too mushy too, too, well lets just say I didn't find it adequate ... Her face became all about her aggression. Through the angle of her facial structure to the angle of her ears. It all became about giving her a strong aggressive forward visual flow.

But remember, it's a conspiracy theory that they're purposely making female video game characters uglier.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Real tragedy about DA:I is that there are the makings of a good game in there. The MQ is perfectly serviceable, some of the companion writing is excellent, and there's a real sense of exploration and discovery there. Only time I managed to get through it I ignored as much of the collect-them-all grind as I could and just focused on the MQ and the companion shenanigans that caught my interest; I also kept a small party and ignored most of the companions so I wouldn't get sidetracked all the time. That was almost enjoyable.

Sadly there is no solution to the rancid MMO loot and combat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
a) Get Good. I beat that encounter with no problem as a solo rogue.

b) If it was that much of a problem you should have just reloaded and chose the option that lets you attack him with your entire team, an option intentionally there for scrubs such as yourself (or people role playing as characters who have more of a support role than DPS) :)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

b) If it was that much of a problem you should have just reloaded and chose the option that lets you attack him with your entire team, an option intentionally there for scrubs such as yourself (or people role playing as characters who have more of a support role than DPS) :)

I think you are missing OP's point.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

One shouldn't brag about playing DA2.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
His point seems to be that he's bad at building/playing characters (and as I mentioned, you absolutely do not have to solo him).

^ how the pros do it

The normal difficulty pros, you mean ?
Or even the DA2 normal difficulty pros ...

A real hardcore bunch, right ? I bet they could complete KotC if it had a god mode ...

Johannes

Arcane
DA2 combat may be shit and boring overall, I have not played it, but if you bitch about an encounter taking too long when someone else can finish it in no time at all... Where is the problem exactly?

The world's filled with rpgs where every encounter is bland and shit. I don't doubt that DA2 may be one of them, but singling this encounter out seems like you're just bad at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom