Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Is Fort Joy well designed? And if so, is it the only DOS2 area to feature interesting design?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Of course the Magisters would want their prisoners to stay inside the Fort, it's just a matter of how motivated they are to keep them there. The dangers of the areas outside the fort are often mentioned, there is some level of supervision on the prisoners. Its just that they don't care that much when someone flees. Where should they go after all? Its a bit like the dome situation in Gothic 1.

The fact that some blacksmith happens to be able to remove the collars appeared to be in their blind spot.

Could they have done a better job at explaining the premise? Yeah, sure. Is it illogical when you look at all the bits of information? Not really.

smorgs

Barely Literate
The game is inconsistent about the whole island being the prison. If you simply walk out 1 meter beyond the eastern wall on the island, then come back, you'll find all the guards aggroed and they see you as an "escapee" which is ridiculously bad in many ways, since they have no way of knowing you "escaped" and you yourself didn't even realize you "escaped."

This really pissed me off because I'd gone exploring and got notified that I supposedly escaped. I figured I'd go back because there is literally nobody who saw me escape and it's been a whole 5 seconds, and all the magisters just attacked me.

So clearly the whole island is not the prison. But then script pretends that the whole island is the prison.

Incidentally, I'm now 80 hours into the game and everything about it has been sloppy in the same way. I can't wait for this shitshow of constant illogic to end. The first game was far superior.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Incidentally, I'm now 80 hours into the game and everything about it has been sloppy in the same way. I can't wait for this shitshow of constant illogic to end. The first game was far superior.

Strick with it to the end if you want to get that far because it's difficult to come back once you bounce off it... believe me.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
While DOS2 has a host of unfortunate issues that have never been addressed by Larian (although thankfully modders have made attempts to fix the most serious issues)

Any "must have" mods I should know about? Just started playing it a couple days ago.

Jinn

Arcane

Crichton

Prophet
I didn't have a problem with the leaky prison in Ft Joy (escaping from lazy or oblivious jailors is an fantasy/adventure tradition after all). But the magisters being instantly alerted about the "escape" was illogical and unreasonably putative. If Larian wanted it to work that way, there should have been a warning along the lines of "those collars have a spell that will alert us the moment you step outside the area marked by these pylons".

The bigger issue for me was the idea of the Source. I'm told at the start that I can't use my sourceror powers because of the collar. But throwing fireballs, polymorphing, etc are not sourceror powers. When I finally get the collar off, I have one source power that barely does shit. It isn't as bad as the awakened/watcher thing in Poe, but it needed a better explanation.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What bland bit of the game was Fort Joy? I played DoS2 and kept waiting for to not suck, then it ended.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The bigger issue for me was the idea of the Source. I'm told at the start that I can't use my sourceror powers because of the collar. But throwing fireballs, polymorphing, etc are not sourceror powers. When I finally get the collar off, I have one source power that barely does shit. It isn't as bad as the awakened/watcher thing in Poe, but it needed a better explanation.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yes.. and the reason you become an unkillable machine by the end is not because of source powers. It's because of your more spammable abilities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom