Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News How about some more Fallout 3 insanity?

merry andrew

Erudite
Well, I'm emo now.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
I've found some more interesting sh.. information there:
Q: Can you play the game without doing any combat?
A: I never got a hard and fast answer on this point, though I did ask the development team about it. On a general level, they did say that they’re trying to build multiple solutions into almost any quest or situation you encounter, and that using stealth and diplomacy were very useable routes to overcome different obstacles. Whether you’ll be able to play through the whole game without committing any violence is a point they’re still hammering out, to my memory.
Q: I love Oblivion, and am hoping that Fallout 3 is just like that. Is it just like Oblivion?
A: No. There are definitely things it has in common with the game you like, but Fallout 3 is its own game, independent of previous releases by Bethesda or any other studio.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Just because you're crying after hearing that doesn't mean you've become emo.

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself, hell I wish Bethsoft was suicidal so they'd stop ruining Fallout.

merry andrew

Erudite
http://www.gameinformer.com/Magazine/

Game Informer Video Interview Introduction said:
No this isn't the late great Black Isle Studios' triumphant return. In some ways, it's even better: proven next-gen RPG developer Bethesda and its crew of self-proclaimed Fallout nerds are finally ready to pull back the curtain on the rebirth of this storied franchise. We have the world-exclusive first look at the direction this post-apocalyptic, tounge-in-cheek, open-ended role-playing game is taking.

No this isn't the late great Black Isle Studios' triumphant return. In some ways, it's even better
Christ almighty, kill it with holy fire.

Krafter

Scholar
stargelman said:
after watching the second vid with a growing sense of nausea, I'm wondering more and more if VATS will be anything more than a combat minigame.
It sounds almost exactly like the combat in Parasite Eve.

I liked Parasite Eve, but Fallout it ain't.

That Game Informer intro is awesome. "Even Better! LOL!" Man, games really are completely taken over by ADD kids at this point. I understand some people liking the changes, some people disliking them, but when every last games media member creams their pants without a single voice of reason amongst them, you know the fix is on. Sure guys, 100% of you agree on 100% of everything. Yeah, sure. :roll:

Black

Arcane
merry andrew said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/Magazine/

No this isn't the late great Black Isle Studios' triumphant return. In some ways, it's even better: proven next-gen RPG developer Bethesda and its crew of self-proclaimed Fallout nerds are finally ready to pull back the curtain on the rebirth of this storied franchise. We have the world-exclusive first look at the direction this post-apocalyptic, tounge-in-cheek, open-ended role-playing game is taking.

Oh shit, next-gen rpgs...
So screwed

Fez

Erudite
Since when did Bethesda have a crew of Fallout nerds? The Fallout nerds are all at NMA or DAC.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Fez said:
Since when did Bethesda have a crew of Fallout nerds? The Fallout nerds are all at NMA or DAC.

VD is Todd Howard's alt.

Okay, I apologize. That was far too distasteful a joke.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Damn. Todd is a fucking Dork.

You know, Fallout fans don't mix with his particular brand of dork. One of the older fansites, vault13.net, was run by a Canadian drug abuser. DAC is full of drunkards and even sports the occasional hardcore fascist neo-nazi. NMA has quite a few people in the military.

Todd is your typical dork that couldn't get girls in highschool . Some dorks of his type get pretty confident and happy with themselves and join LARP groups to score chicks, but he's probably too lame even for that.

I'm the last person to judge people on their level of geekiness, but he just oozes 'loser'. If I'd have to work with him, or if I studied with him in college or whatever, I'd probably have to punch him in the face within a week. I don't know how he got his current job, because leadership requires social skills and some personal attributes like an authorative voice. He sounds like a chipmunk with the common cold, so I wouldn't let him pitch a free beer to a bum, but apparently he directs quite a few people within that company. And you know what they say: In the land of the blind..It frightens me to think that most people there are probably even worse.

You know, most of the Fallout fans I have encountered are usually far from the standard breed of geeky RPG nerds. There are no Klingon speaking compulsive dorks, nor are there many guys who can cite the Simarillion from beginning to end. Usually, they are particularly smart people with a penchant for being cynical, realistic and direct. The biggest difference with Todd's brand of dork is, I think, the pragmatic sense of realism. We all know Fallout isn't a realistic game, but we do know what is real and what is not. Todd probably wishes World of Warcraft was real so he could fuck a female night elf. He might even masturbate to some of his co-workers work. Now that's a disturbing image.

I really do hope that the laws of social dynamics are still valid enough in this time of mass-cohesion for Todd to be impaired in the ways of human reproduction.

As for Fallout 3? Fuck it. It's probably not even worth pirating.

Fez

Erudite
@MF: Did you see the little tale here of Todd coming across as a stinking and creepy pedophile to one woman? It matches in nicely with your impressions.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hazelnut said:
I remember expressing concern that the style and theme (not even the canon) were all that Beth 'got', and a large percentage of players of the original as well for that matter.
Did I ever tell you that you're giving them too much credit?

The impression I am getting is that most people just see "post-apocalyptic wasteland after WWIII, mutants, ghouls, sci-fi knights in shiny armour. Oh, right. Dark, violent humour. Exploding heads lol!

elander_ said:
This is something that will only be clear when they show us a good quest with plenty of options and the impact these options have in the world and factions. Something the quality of the quest to free Tandi would be acceptable.
Like the Fargoth quest? Yeah, once we see a quest carefully chosen if not specifically crafted for advertising a supposed quality of the game, it will be perfectly clear - to what lenghts Bethesda will go to deceive its prospective customers.

Futile Rhetoric said:
However, if they were really such "big fans" of the originals as they say they are, they'd offer the license to (some of) the original designers (what's the closest thing nowadays, Obsidian?) -- free of charge. You know, being such huge fans, and all.
However, if they were really such "big fans" of the originals as they say they are, they wouldn't be so concerned with "updating" every aspect of the game.

Elhoim said:
And F3 has both... So I guess they love it too.
Exploding body parts are death animations no more than ragdolls are.

DiverNB

Liturgist
So the combat could be pretty shit, but that MIGHT not be the end of the game. Example Arcanum.

This is taking into account that Bethsoft will deliver on all their promises. I guess that's sort of the catch though. I really want to believe they're telling us the truth with all these promises and what not, but it's just so damned hard to believe.

A) Because gaming journalists now a days are just action-go-go-fuck-monkeys and it already sounds like they have Todd's cock jammed so far down their throats.
and
B) Because Bethsoft has been pretty shitty on delivering promises. (Radiant AI comes to mind. Fuck Horse Armor)

Rei

Novice
Spectacle said:
I must say I am pleased that Bethesda is being at least somewhat honest and coming straight out and confirming that they are making Oblivion with guns. They aren't making a fallout game, they're making a game set in the fallout world, and from what we've seen so far their understanding of that world is pretty poor, so the game will suck on all levels.

The thing that annoys me the most is that when this piece of crap is released, the gaming press will be fawning all over it, with multiple 95%+ reviews, and quotes like "Revolutionizes RPG's" and "a whorty sequel to Fallout".

They aren't being honest. They're being tight assed whores and it's there mistake. That GI article told us all we had to know. Oblivion with guns. Lol.

Rei

Novice
it's like they're constipated... with information...

elander_

Arbiter
Claw said:
Like the Fargoth quest? Yeah, once we see a quest carefully chosen if not specifically crafted for advertising a supposed quality of the game, it will be perfectly clear - to what lenghts Bethesda will go to deceive its prospective customers.

Even if they made a game with iso+tb and showed us gameplay demos with quests similar to Fallout the rest of the game (that is 95% or more) could still be crap. Bethesda can't do any PR miracles here, but they could avoid having magazines doing bad PR for them.

I still would like to see a good example of a good quest, that explains how they interpret Fallout choices & consequences. That is way better than an vague verbal description or abstract promises.

Excrément

Arbiter
so another bad news : the dialog.
even if I the problem of Oblivion's dialogue weren't the system used but more the lack of content and choices, I doubt Bethesda is able to do good dialog because of their trackrecord. They may improve the content comparing to Oblivion and have something similar to Daggerfall (good dialog content but no real choices).
about the choices and consequences, I am quite optimistic compared to the average codexers because even if they always lied about this issue for Morrowind (the Fargoth quest) and Oblivion (remember the deep "political quests" thy pretend the game have), the fact they insist on this point at the beginning of the PR (blow)job and make us believe that's one of the main advantage the game has over Oblivion and the fact it is Emil Pagliuaro who is the lead designer give me some hope.
The VATS system looks like shit, but because I never see a combat system similar in the past it may be good (no one really knows) even if I doubt it. wait and see, if there are some tactics, it can be better than real time.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DiverNB said:
So the combat could be pretty shit, but that MIGHT not be the end of the game. Example Arcanum.

Remember who did arcanum? Know who is doing fallout 3? Still hope?

Todd said:
...that the spirit of that game... we've missed it, you know, it's 10 years old, we've wanted to see it in games again, you know, it's... you know, humbling and exciting all at once to be able to be the group that gets to make that game. It's something we've tried to do with our Elder Scrolls stuff, so... differences from what we do in the Elder Scrolls are pretty huge, you know, we approach it as it's its own game, we don't necessarily assume anything we did in the Elder Scrolls fits, but when we look at Fallout, it has a lot of the same things, you make your character, you go and do what you want, you go exploring a big world, so there are obviously things we do in the Elder Scrolls that we think work really really well...
What the fuck.

golgotha

Liturgist
Futile Rhetoric said:
Todd said:
...that the spirit of that game... we've missed it, you know, it's 10 years old, we've wanted to see it in games again, you know, it's... you know, humbling and exciting all at once to be able to be the group that gets to make that game. It's something we've tried to do with our Elder Scrolls stuff, so... differences from what we do in the Elder Scrolls are pretty huge, you know, we approach it as it's its own game, we don't necessarily assume anything we did in the Elder Scrolls fits, but when we look at Fallout, it has a lot of the same things, you make your character, you go and do what you want, you go exploring a big world, so there are obviously things we do in the Elder Scrolls that we think work really really well...
What the fuck.
Well, you know..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom