Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Letting these people into games is what caused the problem in the first place.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
HM3 is so advanced you get spam in the game:

Edit: The damage decals lol. Damn, this game is a non-stop hit parade.

1715885335875.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
You realllllly can't have the "reluctant protagonist" trope when your main character is ostensibly responsible for her entire nation's survival. The point of the OG Homeworld was that the person in charge was as focused as possible to maximize mission success. Even seeing her entire planet destroyed draws in only a few moments of horror followed by decisive action.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Even if the franchise dies here we have stuff like Era One by the people who made the complex mod. Maybe it will be good, maybe crap but at least i don't have to put up with weird giantess fetish.

This is going in the right direction that I wanted Hw3 to go in, where each ship is merely just a platform and you can effectively build your own units from scratch. Complex did this really well so naturally the devs behind it doing their own game has me optimistic because we know what their thinking is with regards to where they want to take it. As for if they can pull it off... well yeah that's a concern.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i don't mean to be overly melodramatic, but homeworld is - for a lack of a better word - part of my soul. i first played it when i was 8 or so and even then something about its story resonated with me, and its aesthetics, music, and atmosphere
I'm with you. Basically, if you don't automatically hear Barber's Adagio for Strings and see blue streaks racing to escape a burning planet whenever Homeworld is mentioned, are you even alive?

i was sincerely expecting homeworld 3 to at least partially resemble what was shown in the original dust wars story documents. i had no idea that the story would be a literal, deviantart oc donut-tier story that does not get what homeworld *is* at all

Yeah that's on you. After what they did to literally every single beloved franchise out there, why would this be any different? You should know by now that to expect anyone that even remotely "gets" the original would not be let anywhere near this. Look at the modern "Fallout" games for fucks sake.

Our culture is almost incapable of producing anything good anymore. Who the fuck cares about some dumb bitch's personal "struggles"?

homeworld is partially responsible for forming a good amount of my tastes; paul ruskay is pretty much responsible for turning me into an ambienthead, and it has also given me a good internal filter to gauge how good a story can be, and what merits to judge an story with. seeing homeworld 3 with its absolute dogshit story was probably the most mentally exhausting thing i've seen in ages

i lurked the relicnews forums for years too - a lot of people there pumped out great stuff. i can only wonder what kind of threads would be on there now if it was still alive

Why do you think every good forum gets closed? It's hard to make dem $$$$ when there are mainstream forums pointing out how shit The New Shit(TM) is. The only thing allowed these days is universal acclaim by morons like Reddit.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Lol is that wots-is-name from Thief combined with the Tommy Lee Jones reading newspaper meme? If so that's fkn awesome.

v1c70r14

Educated
Volound didn't spend the majority of this video messing with the keybindings or settings. Looks like the review saying this was a blobspam game was right.

v1c70r14

Educated
Well shit, I put this in the Homeworld thread in the Space Games, but there's this:

I was just reading Be Kind Rewind's retrospective thingy and it seems that he was right about how important publishers are. A Gearbox writer coming in and steering the entire project in another direction was mirrored in how Sierra sent in their writers to polish up the original Homeworld before release. Except Gearbox has the reverse Midas touch. It makes you wonder what the game would have been like without their influence. It was weird seeing the painterly look of the original trailer in that video, that looked much more like Deserts of Kharak. How did they think the current artstyle was an improvement?

Personally I think the concept art looking stuff with the kinematics or what they call them was gorgeous.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
The thing that confuses me is that there must be loads of decent writers/worldbuilders/narrative people around looking for the work. Where ARE these jobs and how is it they only seem to be filled by the bottom of the barrel folks? Do they pay less than award or something? Use interns and failed uni students? It just stings because I know people, myself included, that would've jumped at the chance to do this more justice than was done and yet this is what we get, over and over, with every fkn franchise. It burns, I tell ye.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The thing that confuses me is that there must be loads of decent writers/worldbuilders/narrative people around looking for the work. Where ARE these jobs and how is it they only seem to be filled by the bottom of the barrel folks? Do they pay less than award or something? Use interns and failed uni students? It just stings because I know people, myself included, that would've jumped at the chance to do this more justice than was done and yet this is what we get, over and over, with every fkn franchise. It burns, I tell ye.

I've harped on this for years, but this is basically what you have to put up with as a writer in the games industry:

1. Low pay
2. No respect
3. Your boss is a Twitter-addicted moron
4. You have quotas
5. No autonomy whatsoever except for writing what certain people want you to write

Why the fuck would any self-respecting person want to go into that? So talented writers either just get a real job, or do their own thing.

To put it in perspective, Martin Cirulis, one of the original writers of the first game, came back to work on this dumpster fire. It was one of the reasons why a lot of people were originally optimistic. And then they hired the "Director of Narrative Properties," who probably became his boss.

Obviously, I have no idea what happened behind closed doors, but personally, fuck that. I wouldn't do that if you paid me 5 million dollars.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Makes sense. It's fucked, but it makes sense. Nepotism must also play somewhere sometimes. I mean you have the writer with confidence what on earth possesses you to then spend more money hiring a 'narrative designer' who clearly hasn't got a fkn clue? Somethings busted, which of course resonates through most arts mediums these days (movie, music, etc).

It's a terrible shame when we all go off to a 'real job' writing and making advertising because it pays but it does demonstrate precisely what you are saying

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
To put it in perspective, Martin Cirulis, one of the original writers of the first game, came back to work on this dumpster fire. It was one of the reasons why a lot of people were originally optimistic. And then they hired the "Director of Narrative Properties," who probably became his boss.
It's funny how people always talk about how expensive AAA games are to make these days, yet you see things like this. I'm pretty sure you can make a game without paying someone six figures in some made up upper executive position like "Director of Narrative Properties". I mentioned this in the Volition closing down thread, but Saints Row's reboot had not one consulting agency, but at least TWO were hired for that game - Sweet Baby Inc and GaymerX. No telling how much money these companies are paying out only to lose money upon the game's release. How many more made up executive positions are there in these publishers and in these studios?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom