Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Hideki Kamiya leaves Platinum Games

Hobo Elf

Arcane
i heard bayo3 wasnt as well received as 2 n 1. has a annoying punk female character who acts like those western girl boss types. also the way the story ending some ppl didnt like.

i gotta finish it to form my own opinion tho
The punk girl was annoying but her personality felt closer to a bumbling jokey shonen hero type. Anyone complaining about girlboss characters in a Bayonetta game tho? Yeah, weird.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Hideki burned all the good will he had within the company with how poorly he mismanaged Scalebound. Was somewhat interested to see what his last chance was going to look like but I guess that fell through as well.
Whatever were the faults with Scalebound were never made publicly clear
The game was already in the final stages of development when it got axed and those news came in the sequence of many other Xbox 1 project cancellations

Surprised so many people think the button mashing & brainless gameplay of MGR is good lol.
Ironic coming from someone who likes Shitkiro's gameplay lol

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
i heard bayo3 wasnt as well received as 2 n 1. has a annoying punk female character who acts like those western girl boss types. also the way the story ending some ppl didnt like.

bayo 3 is not well received by people who don't even play the games, mainly twitter lesbians and fujos and probably some trannies. this is because they have "shipped" her to be lesbian lovers w/ Jeanne and when she ends up w/ Luka across all timelines as fated lovers they REEE'D the fuck out and now hate the game. some people don't like that bayo died at the end but realistically 1. how many more bayo games are they gonna make anyways? and 2. the plots are all ridiculous and absurd to begin with so who even cares, also maybe only 3's bayo died who knows.. who cares?

as for viola she thinks she's a western girl boss type but is a bumbling idiot like her father and is constantly shown fucking up and succeeding mostly through dumb luck

ScarredBushido

Liturgist

bayo 3 is not well received by people who don't even play the games, mainly twitter lesbians and fujos and probably some trannies. this is because they have "shipped" her to be lesbian lovers w/ Jeanne and when she ends up w/ Luka across all timelines as fated lovers they REEE'D the fuck out and now hate the game. some people don't like that bayo died at the end but realistically 1. how many more bayo games are they gonna make anyways? and 2. the plots are all ridiculous and absurd to begin with so who even cares, also maybe only 3's bayo died who knows.. who cares?

as for viola she thinks she's a western girl boss type but is a bumbling idiot like her father and is constantly shown fucking up and succeeding mostly through dumb luck
i did hear about the lesbo ( who also ironically called bayo sexist male gaze ) latch on to her, only to get mad at her being straight. i'll take ur word for it and just start it. drill hair bayo is kino tho

Kamiya hasn't made anything interesting in 10 years. No guarantee he will make a good game in whatever company he lands.

He hasn’t made anything at all in ten years.

The “interesting” part makes it sound like he’s been the director on anything that’s been released at all since 2013’s The Wonderful 101.

911 Jumper

Learned
From Kamiya's YouTube channel (English subtitles available via Captions option):

Didn't say anything interesting. On the other hand seems like game dev pays pretty well in Japan.

Looks that way – that Countach isn't cheap.
Personally, I'm not expecting much from Kamiya. I think he is past his best. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Häyhä

Arbiter
That is how you leave like a motherfucking boss, take your Gundams and other toys in a box with you and drive away in a Lambo! :lol:

Screenshot-2023-10-12-at-21-15-57-Anime-Hideki-Kamiya-leaves-Platinum-Games.png

Hope they get together with Mikami and start a new independent studio.

:hero:

ferratilis

Magister
Damn, Kamiya drives a Lambo, while Mikami has a Ferrari.

Compare that to Josh Sawyer who drives a fucking hipster jalopy and repairs used bicycles. The decline of Western man, right there.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From Kamiya's YouTube channel (English subtitles available via Captions option):

Didn't say anything interesting. On the other hand seems like game dev pays pretty well in Japan.

The little I’ve heard, it kind of sounds like the key people on some game’s development get much better deals on royalties over there.

I think Sakurai (creator of Kirby, Smash etc.) doesn't even take a salary for the games he works on. He only goes for royalty based payments so that he's more invested in the game's success and therefore puts more effort into making them. Though he's an outlier, it does show that Japanese companies are more open to negotiation when it comes to different types of contracts.

The little I’ve heard, it kind of sounds like the key people on some game’s development get much better deals on royalties over there.

I think Sakurai (creator of Kirby, Smash etc.) doesn't even take a salary for the games he works on. He only goes for royalty based payments so that he's more invested in the game's success and therefore puts more effort into making them. Though he's an outlier, it does show that Japanese companies are more open to negotiation when it comes to different types of contracts.

That way he knows he'll earn more than just a flat rate like a salary. When George Lucas made Starwars, the first one, he didn't had enough money to pay the salaries of some members of the technical crew, so he worked out a deal where he'd pay a percentage of the income of the movie. Even if they got 1%, it's still 1% of the huge pile of money the move made on its first run.

I wouldn’t say that bolded part is exactly true. Smash Bros. is a guaranteed money maker. Has been ever since the first game came out on the N64. Something would have to go tragically wrong for back end Royalty payments (if you got a good deal with it) to be the worse option when it comes to that or upfront money no matter the effort he put in.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I wouldn’t say that bolded part is exactly true. Smash Bros. is a guaranteed money maker. Has been ever since the first game came out on the N64. Something would have to go tragically wrong for back end Royalty payments (if you got a good deal with it) to be the worse option when it comes to that or upfront money no matter the effort he put in.

It is now, but it was a risk the first time they made it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
On the other hand seems like game dev pays pretty well in Japan.
Unlike in the West, japanese game directors have much more responsibility over a project - they effectively have the final word on almost every facet of the game's design
This is why you see more "auteurs" game devs from Japan
And obviously while yes this means they get all the credit for a sucessful game, but they also get all the blame for a failure and in that case it means their head on the chopping block

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The only reason people forgive MGR is because of factors external to Platinum (music, characters and set pieces).
And fun; Remember that? Fun?
Also anyone shitting on Bayo 1 is retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom