Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Black

Arcane
For example in his build he can fix the energy consumption by just adding Power Drain. Wasting a whole character build on a blood necro is silly. The fact that he's bringing a signet shows that he knows he doesn't have the energy for the build. He's also taking a completely useless stance.
"Blood necro" is a bit much considering the BiP hero has only one actual Blood spell- https://gwpvx.fandom.com/wiki/Build:N/Rt_Blood_is_Power_Healer_Hero
And a lot of dom mesmers take Unnatural Signet, not because ihey're energy starved but because it's a good skill that goes well with mesmer hexes for even more aoe armor ignoring damage.
Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of I Am Unstoppable (the shout), a shout that prevent knockdown and cripple + gives 24 armor is far from useless.

"Blood necro" is a bit much considering the BiP hero has only one actual Blood spell- https://gwpvx.fandom.com/wiki/Build:N/Rt_Blood_is_Power_Healer_Hero

Bad build. Again, vastly better off taking a real damage character.

And a lot of dom mesmers take Unnatural Signet, not because ihey're energy starved but because it's a good skill that goes well with mesmer hexes for even more aoe armor ignoring damage.
50 Adjacent AoE damage is a joke lmao. Compare to Cry of Pain or Mistrust.

Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of I Am Unstoppable (the shout), a shout that prevent knockdown and cripple + gives 24 armor is far from useless.
No, but the BiP necro is, and you're forcing a party to take a useless character just to make up for not carrying proper energy management.

Black

Arcane
Again, vastly better off taking a real damage character.
Do you roll with only damage characters? Because if not, might as well take someone who takes cares both of your red bar and blue bar instead of only red bar.
50 Adjacent AoE damage is a joke lmao. Compare to Cry of Pain or Mistrust.
Good skills and you'll never hear me say otherwise. US does 70+ damage to the main target and ~50 to adjacent baddies. One of the reasons it's good on that bar, PI knocks a group of baddies down and US deal some armor ignoring damage to the whole group. Also, being a signet it pretty much always works. Solution- take all 3 skills.
No, but the BiP necro is.
No.

Vyvian

Educated
I tried to log in and it appears I'm locked out of my account.

Is this some kind of security measure that activates if you've been away a long time?

I tried to log in and it appears I'm locked out of my account.

Is this some kind of security measure that activates if you've been away a long time?
No. You should contact support because the morons at ANET can't seem to keep your login info secure to save their lives. At least one major database compromise happened about a decade ago, they slapped a band-aid solution on it for a time, but now it seems that they have an autolock system in place that triggers whenever you meet their quota of too many different IP logins. Any time I have a power outage, I have to make sure to log-in to the master account after doing the 2fa and clear the list of older allowed IPs so I don't run afoul of it.

Give them your keys, character names and any information they ask, but don't be surprised when they lie and say "Hurr, looks like your account was compromised by a foreign IP, durr!" Happened to me twice so far, both times they just cleared the IP list and I was back in, with nothing actually changed on any of my characters. Took about 1-2 days of email tag each time.

If you search up the error code online, it should tell you for certain whether it's a ban or not.

Last edited:
No. You should contact support because the morons at ANET can't seem to keep your login info secure to save their lives. At least one major database compromise happened about a decade ago, they slapped a band-aid solution on it for a time, but now it seems that they have an autolock system in place that triggers whenever you meet their quota of too many different IP logins. Any time I have a power outage, I have to make sure to log-in to the master account after doing the 2fa and clear the list of older allowed IPs so I don't run afoul of it.

Kind of weird because I log in from a ton of different IPs (frequent router reboots at home to get around bans on 4chan, various mobile IPs while on my laptop away from home) and I don't even get bugged for 2FA - the only time I've had to do the 2FA thing is when I'm on a new computer or reinstalled Windows.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, it's not about too many different IPs, I've only ever logged in from one and still found my account locked when I tried to log in recently. Contact support and tell them all you can remember about your account (only keys would suffice if you have them), like character names and classes, date of account creation, items, titles etc. They are pretty fast to respond, presumably because they know they fucked up.

I enabled 2FA because support recommended it after the last time (about 2 years ago) and because I was tired of dealing with this, so now it requires a code anytime my IP changes. Anet's master account keeps all prior used IPs on a list until you manually clear them regardless of if 2FA is enabled. Since the support guy I spoke with told me he cleared the allowed IP list, I assume that was how ANET was spotting the "foreign logins". Since then I opt to clear that list of all but the newest code in a paranoid fashion. My logic being "No old IPs logged, nothing to compare the new against."

Whatever the case, if I took support at their word and I was actually compromised, then I should have been cleaned out of all my wealth, yet nothing was touched.

They were essentially asking me to believe that *somehow* a hacker got ahold of both my email address and password (unique and unguessable, never shared before or since) and yet never took a thing, never deleted a thing, never even moved a character after logging in. They were asking me to believe that this hacker was purely after access to.... an account for an utterly dead game... even though to get that info they'd presumably be able to steal other far more sensitive information, pin numbers, bank accounts etc. just as easily via keylogger of whatever other method they supposedly used.

I assumed and still assume that either their own database was compromised again, or that they flagged one of my own logins as a false positive. The alternative is too fanciful, since it's only ever been Anet. Just Anet. Never any other MMO, service or account. Never even the ones with weak-ass passwords I made when I was 16. Never Turbine, Cryptic, Blizzard, Bioware, Riot, Steam. On and on, ever and anon only Arenanet.

Do you roll with only damage characters? Because if not, might as well take someone who takes cares both of your red bar and blue bar instead of only red bar.
If you are BiPing more about 3-4 characters you are saccing more HP than you can heal. Do the math. You're saccing ~200 per cast which means you are only about 50 HP net positive if using both Spirit Light and Mend Body and Soul. This rotation takes ~4s and BiP only lasts 12. If you think your BiP is healing you then you aren't seeing how the other healer in the group has to waste their time to keep the BiP alive rather than heal it. I've seen it happen constantly, your real healer is distracted keeping BiP alive while other people die.

If you aren't BiPing multiple characters constantly then you're wasting the slot even more. You're also slowing down the group by the need to continually recast spirits to avoid saccing on Spirit Light, unless you brought a rit with summon spirits.

I have sometimes rolled with a fully damage-focused party that was kept alive purely by things like shouts and Paragon stuff. It is pretty funny, just running with group wide 33% IAS everywhere and spiking everything in 1-2 attacks. But realistically for general PvE only 1 dedicated healer/support should be needed in most areas even in HM. Obvious exceptions for elite areas.

One of the reasons it's good on that bar, PI knocks a group of baddies down and US deal some armor ignoring damage to the whole group.
Adjacent AoE is SMALL. Watch him fight and see how he spams skills constantly only hitting one or two enemies.

"In the Area" is approximately 2x the radius of "Adjacent", which means it covers 4x the area. Cry of Pain will deal 50 damage + 100 DoT, for 150 damage. So we have 50 AoE vs. 150 AoE that hits an average of 4x as many monsters. That makes Cry of Pain roughly 12x as strong per cast in AoE terms. Obviously this is a bit of an overestimate, I'm ignoring the extra single target damage of the signet but its still less single target damage than CoP.

If you don't want PvE skills, Mistrust is 100 nearby which is ~2.25 the radius, so that's ~4.5x as powerful of an AoE. It's also mechanically perfect for the build because you cast it after Wastrel's to protect the final damage proc because it makes the enemy fail their first spell after getting up. This also sets you up for the next interrupt because spell failure lets you accurately predict when the next spell will be cast.

Solution- take all 3 skills.
He doesn't though.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane

Lacrymas

Arcane
You get the fire imp with EotN. The GotY edition doesn't include Nightfall and Factions, so don't get that. But you do want to get EotN as well, yes.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
Never played it. Should I buy it? Help!

Yes it's worth it. You'll have months of enjoyment at a minimum.

You don't need E.O.T.N, infact it breaks balance of the game since it level scales you, and there's repeatable missions to
powerlevel to 20 in under an hour. Though you have to reach level 10 or something to go to E.O.T.N, I think it still ruins experience
since all the other content of a respective campaign is what you should be doing to gain levels.

That said once you earned a couple level 20s on your own without using E.O.T.N,
you should have at it.

I own the game and can run you to some locations if you need help.

Also game is challenging so don't get discouraged.

Edit: For steam purchase you may have to take the cdkeys from viewing properties of the game in Steam, then input them into your ArenaNet account.
Also ArenaNet has a strict 2factor policy and will bitch about anytime you use a different IP, unless you manage to authorize every IP.
Last but not least the ArenaNet/GuildWars1 store is broke as fuck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just don't run EotN content before level 20 on your first char, easy. You want EotN because of the skills it gives, rather than the content. There are some crucial ones in there.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EoTN has the best soundtrack iirc.
Can't believe it's soon 20 years I played GW1 for the first time.

You want EotN because much of the best looking gear in the game come from the dungeons, not to mention plenty of good looking armor. Regardless, you should wait to buy it until you know whether you like game. Get the trilogy and put some time into it first. EotN is the last if you're playing chronologically anyway.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably just pull the trigger on them both. Sales are as rare as hens teeth and 75% off is the best I've ever seen in at least a decade.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Patron
No, I have EoTN and don't have the imp.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Igneous_Summoning_Stone

Ok So EOTN is running cheap right now. $4.99. Buy it but resist the urge to actually go to EOTN.
Anyway i'm in the game as Triumphant Codexian.

Edit: If you choose Prophecies I can do the mandatory 2-Party quest to get Resurrect.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Patron
Never played it. Should I buy it? Help!

You don't need E.O.T.N, infact it breaks balance of the game

I own the game and can run you to some locations if you need help.

:nocountryforshitposters:

What can I say? Some places are especially hard to get to on your own. Running yourself to Lion's Arch is pretty hard as a new player.

Edit: I logged on hoping to help a new player, but no one was around. So instead I scored 15 platinum off the market.
G/n.

Last edited:
Running or powerleveling isn't something you should do as a new player. Play the campaigns start to finish on a native character before getting distracted with other things. The absolute most you should be doing is popping to the other continents to collect the hero classes you want.

Running or powerleveling isn't something you should do as a new player. Play the campaigns start to finish on a native character before getting distracted with other things. The absolute most you should be doing is popping to the other continents to collect the hero classes you want.
This, and also, don't look up builds online, at least until you've finished the campaigns on normal mode. You'll ruin a huge part of the game (build design & experimentation) for yourself if you do.

Do look up a list of skill locations though, especially for elite skills. That's what you should start theorycrafting a build around. You can see a list of all skills in-game at the PvP skill trainers but actually knowing where to get them in PvE kind of requires the wiki (though you can unlock them through PvP and then use a tome).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom